Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

580 piece Creative box #10695 for $30

I was wrong, the WAL*MART Black Friday set ends in a 7 and has 1500 pieces for $30. THAT’S a much better deal.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I cannot find the thread that I thought was titled “Stuff the LUG needs.” Not knowing the correct words must be the problem. Anyway, can we get dispatch a LUG drone to pickup craigslist finds?

Posted a half hour ago, South Hills:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tag/5327662600.html

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I was wrong, the WAL*MART Black Friday set ends in a 7 and has 1500 pieces for $30. THAT’S a much better deal.

Oh snap! Even at it’s MSRP ($60), it’s not a bad deal, but at $30, it’s pretty darn good.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Classic-LEGO-Large-Creative-Box-10697/45982582

But it’s not available online… so YMMV.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

(*cough* @greg)

I’m watching you, Mr. Redfield.

Josh
    Keymaster

I have not been subscribed to this thread. Now I am. I emailed the south hills ships in a bucket listing.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m watching you, Mr. Redfield.

o:)

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Somewhere I saw a LEGO ad for Black Friday that was 10% off $100, 20% off $200 and 30% off $300. I cannot find it again, now I am wondering if I imagined it. Did anyone else see this ad / email?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Is it possible for an eBay seller to drop-ship from Amazon at a price lower than retail and still make a profit? There must be some volume-purchasing benefits, otherwise I don’t see how this can be done legally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-Death-Star-10188-BUILDING-KIT-Kids-Star-Wars-BUILDING-TOYS-SET-/291613931119?hash=item43e58b766f:g:9GMAAOSwhcJWQvr3

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

That set is showing at $399.95 (a four cent discount, they’ll have you know!) on Amazon. Any set that is still in production (well, on LEGO.com it says “we are currently making more”) and being sold online by 3rd party sellers at less than retail should raise a red flag. Or at least a yellow one.

This seller charges sales tax (5.25% in PA), and there’s something else fishy because it won’t recognize my zip code (or any of several others I tried) to calculate shipping. I didn’t find anywhere online that they could’ve gotten this set (esp. in large quantity) for less than retail price, definitely not enough below to turn a profit selling at or under MSRP… so yeah.

I’d be wary with this one. If I had to guess, I’d say “purchased with stolen CC, then flipped (via drop shipping) to unsuspecting buyer.” Saw some of that with the Fire Brigade a couple years ago…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

This seller charges sales tax (5.25% in PA), and there’s something else fishy because it won’t recognize my zip code (or any of several others I tried) to calculate shipping.

They have 18,000+ feedbacks and had an account since Dec ’99. Most of the negative feedback says that their order was drop-shipped from Amazon but I don’t think people using stolen credit cards rack up too many sales before they get shutdown.

Amazon does not charge shipping but the seller does, however eBay and PayPal take a huge cut of the sale. I used salecalc.com to determine that the seller needs to charge $49 shipping to make no profit.

Does Amazon Prime or some other program offer a discount to high volume buyers?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Does Amazon Prime or some other program offer a discount to high volume buyers?

Not that I’m aware of…

They have 18,000+ feedbacks and had an account since Dec ’99. Most of the negative feedback says that their order was drop-shipped from Amazon but I don’t think people using stolen credit cards rack up too many sales before they get shutdown.

Fair enough, but it still seems fishy…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Cyber Monday sale at Target is %15 off everything! Here’s a doozie:

http://www.target.com/p/k-nex-grandfather-clock/-/A-50082145#prodSlot=_1_2

Greg Schubert
    Participant

… and by the way TARZHAY, what’s the point of putting something on sale if you can’t ship it and its not in the stores???

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Cyber Monday sale at Target is %15 off everything! Here’s a doozie:

http://www.target.com/p/k-nex-grandfather-clock/-/A-50082145#prodSlot=_1_2

You can leave the LUG any time you want, K’nex boy…

Tom Frost
    Participant

Oh snap! Even at it’s MSRP ($60), it’s not a bad deal, but at $30, it’s pretty darn good.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Classic-LEGO-Large-Creative-Box-10697/45982582

But it’s not available online… so YMMV.

These sold out online on black friday instantly, they probably had like 4 available at that price. However, my wife found it this morning on Walmart.com for $45 for cyber monday and she was able to snag one.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Here is my entry as the most MEGA BLOCK-looking LEGO set ever produced:

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

The manager at Hartwood Acres agreed to display the model of the mansion in the new year. They wanted to know how many parts which always deflates me because I have NO IDEA! Then I realized that I designed the roof in LDD which actually counts parts. There are over two thousand parts just to make the outer roof and chimneys; that’s without the rows and rows of parts I added underneath to provide structural integrity.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

The alumni magazine from UVa had many real estate listings, but one really stood out.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Parts from many LEGO themes were used to make this diorama; the background is from the Prince of Persia line.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Don’t mind me, just talking to myself over here. This is what I saw at Costco when I went with my parents on Thanksgiving weekend.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

There are over two thousand parts just to make the outer roof and chimneys; that’s without the rows and rows of parts I added underneath to provide structural integrity.

So… maybe 10,000-12,000 overall in the build?

And that Ninjago set is not a bad price per part…

Tim

They wanted to know how many parts which always deflates me because I have NO IDEA!

While this is a natural question, it always flummoxes me also. It’s not like I count and keep track of how many pieces I use. Having seen this, I think Matt’s suggestion of 10-12k is perfectly reasonable.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

how many parts

Arthur Guglick had good advice about this. He said that the general public want to interact with you but they don’t know what to ask except “how long did it take” and “how many parts”. So he said to just make up a number because hemming and hawing and admitting that you don’t know drags out the agony for both parties.

I invented another approach to this type of question at Cranberry. A kid asked me if I had named the elves in the Candy Factory, my honest answer would not have been helpful so instead I said “Yes! Can you guess what they are?” knowing full well that whatever he said was going to be right. So he thought awhile and said “Elf One.” I said “Yes!” but which one is Elf One. He chose the one on the extreme left. Then I asked if he knew the other names. He pointed to each elf as he named them, “Elf Two,” “Elf Three” etc. I expressed me astonishment at his ability to guess the names so quickly. In the background, his parents enjoyed this bit of deception immensely.

So I suppose when someone asks how many pieces, you ask them in a very confident tone, to guess how many there were. Then multiply that number by ten and tell them that’s how many pieces it took. Watch their amazement and the well-deserved respect you receive. Do not grace the “you must have a lot of time on your hands” type of comments.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

So… lie to little kids…? o_O

Tim

Greg, good advice. Make the kids (and adults) feel special.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 1,453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar