Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

What the crap is Lego mornings? I’m not familiar with the yellow parts, but the others are Exo-Force. It’s not surprising that Greg is not an Exo-Force guy.

Tim

@bengood921, this guy is trying to challenge your tall castle supremacy. You must crush him. 😛

A mighty high castle in the clouds

Josh
    Keymaster

LEGO House documentary
    Jan Beyer
    By Jan Beyer

Tuesday at 11:08 AM
    Hi all – I have exciting news to share.

The LEGO House was under its way for 7 years and has tickled the curiosity of creative LEGO fans all along. The process was followed by a camera crew and has resulted in a great documentary that is now airing globally on NETFLIX. Some of you might already have seen it at closed events.

But now it is out there for everybody. From 15th June you can discover the fascinating LEGO spirit manifested in the ultimate LEGO building on all NETFLIX servers globally.

The original idea behind the LEGO House came from Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen – a dream for the LEGO Group and for the town of Billund.

A unique journey into the making of a house built on a foundation of dreams. This is a construction diary unfolding the endless possibilities of the LEGO brick.

The concept has all the way been to build a LEGO House which would offer the most amazing hands-on experiences and inspire the guests to embrace creativity.

This includes a one of a kind architectural idea by BIG and Bjarke Ingels, a restaurant that serves the food by robots, 25 million LEGO bricks and dedicated staff that tries, fails and revises ideas in order to reach the company motto: Only the best is good enough.

You can find a trailer here: https://youtu.be/VsfCuYzG_4o

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am gathering pieces to build the Creator Expert 10181 Eiffel Tower … in yellow. I placed a couple of orders for parts, but I could use many more L-shaped 2×2 corner bricks and plates. If you have them, I will buy them.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’ll be the first to admit that my memory is failing, but I found hotdog vendor polybags 30356 at Walmart yesterday and I wondered if this is old news or new news.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Haha, yeah, I don’t anticipate that I’ll win. My entry was pretty rushed, and definitely didn’t turn out as well as it could have.
    But I still think I have a pretty good shot at second or third!

@hacim
    Whatever happened with this contest? Did the Black Falcon Fortress win? I could not find a page with results.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Yeah, the Black Falcon Fortress won. I came in third

Dan (Beast)
    Participant

Any updates to the LUG bulk order?

Dan

Tim

Pulled this link off the LAN. There is a discussion on MILS and on LUGs who have (and have not) adopted it. This is a Winter Village which was done in MILS.

https://content.invisioncic.com/Mlegobeta/monthly_2017_09/IMG_1328.jpg.2a20b600ea5c3f262836efc16dbfd0e2.jpg

The discussion also included how to use “econo-MILS” (I think @greg will like that term) – basically using supports under MOCs built directly onto baseplates (non-MILS). I’ve used similar supports in the past. This also works with the Modular sets, which are built directly onto baseplates.

https://content.invisioncic.com/Mlegobeta/monthly_2017_09/ejemploMILS14.jpg.2695a0c2604ef65dc50d3011687f654c.jpg

Greg Schubert
    Participant

So are you talking about NOT applying the MILS standard to the entire baseplate and then building on top of it, but raising the walls of a building so that the intended ground level matches the level of the surroundings? Yes, I do that wherever there is no interior to the building.

This is a Winter Village which was done in MILS.

Btw, the uniformity of the colors in that image makes it appear like a virtual village superimposed on a real venue.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Just as a refresher to me, do we have a MILS standard for City and Town? Is there a standard for sidewalk widths and curbs?
    These things are important as I consider building a City Pizza modular building MOC.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

It seems to be that “the standard” which probably appears on most modular buildings, is to build the sidewalk at the edge of the plate, regardless of how wide it is. You can see that when someone tries to build a strip of grass between the street and the sidewalk, it becomes a problem, like the McDonald’s in the photo below. (derp)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Today at Target there were PowerPuff girls LEGO sets, right next to a bunch of Unikitty sets. I would have expected PowerPuff girls to become extinct by now.

Also, there was a hundred dollar Batmobile that you can control from an app on a cellphone. I can only imagine how fun it would be for kids to race app-controlled vehicles through a LEGO race course. This is the perfect solution to what to do with so many tires! (at least the third time I’ve made this suggestion) Hopefully we will get a couple of those Batmobile sets from TLG to try it out!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

For anyone looking for something cool to do this weekend, there is a new moon tomorrow night, (which means less background light,) in time for stargazing events at various parks in the area. The “star parties” are at Boyce Park, Mingo and Kunkle Park. If you have never been to one of these, amateur astronomers bring their really good telelscopes through which anyone can look and its completely free. The best part of doing this in August is not only that its warm enough to be outside at night but that the Perseid meteor shower nearly guarantees that you can see “shooting stars.”

Calendar of Events

Tim

Just as a refresher to me, do we have a MILS standard for City and Town? Is there a standard for sidewalk widths and curbs?

I do not believe we have adopted an “official” standard for sidewalks and curbs. However, I have built all of my buildings with 6 studs of sidewalk on the front (sides can be less or none, depending upon whether I intend to abut other buildings). I make all my curbs light gray/bley and use either light gray/bley or dark tan tiles on top (as shown in the McDonalds’ picture posted by Greg above).

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> For anyone looking for something cool to do this weekend, there is a new moon tomorrow night, (which means less background light,) in time for stargazing events at various parks in the area. The “star parties” are at Boyce Park, Mingo and Kunkle Park. If you have never been to one of these, amateur astronomers bring their really good telelscopes through which anyone can look and its completely free. The best part of doing this in August is not only that its warm enough to be outside at night but that the Perseid meteor shower nearly guarantees that you can see “shooting stars.”

This is making me laugh, my dad has been heavily into astronomy since I was in elementary school, and as a result is constantly aware of when new moon is. You two should hang out. I can also tell you that ‘star party’ is a very generous use of the word party, and that the astronomy crowd totally has the Lego crowd beat when it comes to lack of social skills and lack of women.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

This is making me laugh

Laugh it up, fuzzball. The “star party” at Deer Lakes Park / Mingo Observatory near me won’t be for another week, so we are going to go to Chatham’s Eden Hall campus tonight.

Rich Millich
    Participant

I do not believe we have adopted an “official” standard for sidewalks and curbs. However, I have built all of my buildings with 6 studs of sidewalk on the front (sides can be less or none, depending upon whether I intend to abut other buildings). I make all my curbs light gray/bley and use either light gray/bley or dark tan tiles on top (as shown in the McDonalds’ picture posted by Greg above).

I like the 6 stud sidewalk standard, as a fig is functionally 4 studs wide, and that leaves 2 studs for things like streetlights, fire hydrants, mail boxes, traffic signals, and signage. This does merge these items with the curbing, but that’s okay.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Public Service Announcement: On the day of the Q3 meeting, August 25th, there is a collection event at Century III Mall for electronics and hazardous waste. If you know of anyone who still has a TV or desk monitor with a picture tube, this is one way to safely dispose of it.

Attachments:
    Rich Millich
    Participant

Here is the information about LEGO lettering tiles that I’ve discovered. I don’t believe that this issue is well known.

Upon purchasing the two keychain sets (still in the original packaging), I’ve compared the lettering tiles to my existing stock, and I’ve discovered some things about letter tiles:

* There are absolutely two different printings involved.

* The first, in 2006, is the Key Chain Name Kit, set 851627. This is the inferior set of letter tiles. The font is smaller, and lettering on these tiles are often off center. These tiles are still usable, but are substandard for LEGO’s printing quality. I plan to use these tiles as lettering anyway, but on things like convenience store signage and shipping containers.

* Six years later, these tiles were remade for set 850425, the Business Card Holder, in 2012. This second printing appeared again in set 850686, the Notebook, Baseplate Cover with Alphanumeric Tiles and Lego Logo Clasp, in 2013. This lettering is larger, much more centered and consistent, and it is in a similar but different font. This printing includes numbering and the other non-alphanumeric tiles.

* The Notebook set contains multicolored tiles of red, yellow and lime with this second font and printing, so it’s easy to identify, but far less useful, as this alphabet is broken up among three different colors.

* The problem exists between the 2006 lettering tiles and the 2012 lettering tiles, both silver print on black tiles. When tiles from these sets are placed next to each other, it’s easy to see the difference between them.

* These 1×1 tiles can sell individually for 15 cents or so for the least common English letters like “X”, but a dollar or more for the vowels. If you can find them at all. The 2006 tiles and the 2012 tiles, with the same colors of tile and printing, but much different in quality, have individually filtered into inventories around BrickLink.

Be advised.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

This Twin Cities LEGO Train Club photo includes a Thomas the Tank Engine, Hogwart’s Express, a Polar Express and Mr. Roger’s Trolley. I might have to move.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

…but where’s their curved tunnel, tho?

Pete
    Participant

Beachwood store has trans light blue studs on PAB wall.

Josh
    Keymaster

This Twin Cities LEGO Train Club photo includes a Thomas the Tank Engine, Hogwart’s Express, a Polar Express and Mr. Roger’s Trolley. I might have to move.

This showed up in Cale’s feed a few weeks ago and he told me the trolley was by John Neel. I think he’s done a lot of cool stuff.

IMG_0642

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Bricklink announced that they are going to make an announcement and it involves LEGO.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/community/newsview.page?msgid=1105486

Film at 11.

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 1,453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar