Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 1,452 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

so pretty.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

With all that green brick Lego sent us we should be able to make dope hills and tunnels like that

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

With all that green brick Lego sent us we should be able to make dope hills and tunnels like that

Joking around answer: Yeah, but not if we use it all to build a Christmas Tree

Semi-serious answer: Well… it’s all 2×4 brick, which is actually not ideal for detailed landscaping…

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Joking around answer: Yeah, but not if we use it all to build a Christmas Tree

Semi-serious answer: Well… it’s all 2×4 brick, which is actually not ideal for detailed landscaping…

Greg Schubert
    Participant
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

If someone is looking for a town hall these days, this looks like a good deal:

Oh snap, should I be selling mine? That’s a lot of Benjamins…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The Disney minifigs (CMF’s) were sold out at S@H, but now they are back in stock. Also, at a Target I found Mickey Mouse, (the only one I really wanted) in the 3rd bag that I checked. 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Hey Nick, here is something you might be interested to know about

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-Store-Death-Star-Trench-Contest-Base-Plate-Ultra-RARE-/131396680029?hash=item1e97da395d:g:ZTUAAOSwMpZUqvv0

I’ve never heard of this before … although this one is a little pricey for a baseplate.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have DOZENS of stackable cardboard storage boxes with handles if anyone wants to start storing LEGO or anything this way. They are sturdy because they were built to store laptop computers.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I sold, via bricklink, an unopened Star Wars set to someone in Colorado and then he sent me this picture

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xna6szd97aq9d3v/IMG_20160526_165708356.jpg?dl=0

claiming that I did not package it properly. It could have added more packaging, its true, but in this photo, it looks like someone hit the side of the box with a baseball bat and I am not sure any amount of packaging would stop that. I’ll bet he bought it that way at some store. PayPal told me that if he received his item and the item itself is not damaged they won’t issue him a credit. The woman who I spoke to probably did not grasp that the box itself is part of the collectible nature of the item.

The PayPal operator also said that if he files a claim he won’t get the money back until he returns the item. Then I lose the shipping cost and he loses the shipping cost. He said I should repay him $45. This person only has a feedback rating of (4), but they seem like a very experienced negotiator. It makes me wonder if they’ve played this game before and started over with a new account.

Anyway, we offered to get him a new box. Then he sends this: “I have another solution. I can buy a new box for $20 shipped to me on bricklink. How about you refund me $20 to cover the cost of a new box and we call it a day?” I know a new box only costs $12 including the shipping because I already asked someone what it will cost to ship the box. Hmmm, it sounds like he wants money, not a replacement box. It really makes me wonder if the box in the photo is the one that I sent to him. If it is, maybe he does not even care about the box and damaged it himself. Something smells fishy.

Josh
    Keymaster

Ask for a picture of the box you shipped it in

Josh
    Keymaster

It’s the buyers responsibility to pay for insurance, if desired

Greg Schubert
    Participant

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wnavvjp1cewjxm/IMG_20160526_165505726.jpg?dl=0

So PayPal won’t judge in his favor if he makes a claim? His motives are revealed by asking for $20 instead of a replacement box. Its like asking Solomon to cut the baby in half.

Josh
    Keymaster

I get his perspective. He’s just coming to you because you’re the one who is most likely to respond to his wishes.

Put yourself in his shoes, in the perspective that you’re dealing with a business, set up to make a profit. He buys something, and it is not as he expects. He doesn’t want to have wasted his money on shipping with nothing to show for it. He probably wants a sealed box. PayPal isn’t going to take the hit and give him a discount. USPS certainly won’t either. You’re the only human, and he’s treating you like a business.

Maybe he’s lying, maybe he’s deceitful, but it doesn’t change the facts. Up to you if you want to meet him at his desires or not.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Maybe he’s lying, maybe he’s deceitful, but it doesn’t change the facts.

What facts are not changed, that he wants a better price? I am planning to buy and ship a new box, in good faith, but its good to be skeptical and pay attention to small clues.

My wife and I bought a car from a private seller when we lived near DC and we found out several years later from the US Justice Department that the car had 100,000 more miles than were listed on the title. We should have paid more attention when we had it inspected and the mechanic said “its been run hard.”

Zach Bauer
    Participant

My wife and I bought a car from a private seller when we lived near DC and we found out several years later from the US Justice Department that the car had 100,000 more miles than were listed on the title. We should have paid more attention when we had it inspected and the mechanic said “its been run hard.”

The Justice Department told you after a couple years after purchase that the odometer had been tampered with? How does that work? They caught the guy and it took that long to contact you? I know I’m jacking this jacked thread but I am curious now.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

They caught the guy and it took that long to contact you?

Supposedly, the guy sold about 100 cars this way and finally got caught. I looked up the bluebook value the value of the car with the extra mileage and the difference was several thousand dollars less.

The odometer only had 5 digits, so the odometer started over at zero once it reached a hundred thousand miles. We got the car just before it reached 30,000 (the 2nd time) and it was still less than three years old, so the dealership repaired the radiator “under warranty.”

In a follow-up letter the Justice Department told us that the seller had been convicted, he had been sent to jail and was sentenced to pay into a fund from which we would be repaid. That was about 20 years ago and of course we’ve never received anything in compensation.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

From Ben Good’s Flickr stream is a photo of NELUG’s display at Brickfair New England a week or two ago. Look how big this display is

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8994372@N04/27193610142/in/album-72157668573671692/

and none of it uses MILS. Amateurs.

Tim

I do like how they run the trains through all of the theme areas of their display, not just the town. Similar to us at Greenberg last November running the monorail through both the space area and the Winter Village area. It gives a visual sense of cohesion to different theme areas.

Back to Greg’s Paypal box issue, don’t the Bricklink Terms and Conditions state that shipping is at the Buyer’s risk and the Buyer should purchase insurance? I know that many individual stores have that in their stated Terms & Conditions. Probably a good idea to reiterate that especially for sets in boxes (which could be purchased as much for the box as for the set itself). I agree that the whole situation seems a bit fishy and perhaps a money grab.

Zach Bauer
    Participant

Supposedly, the guy sold about 100 cars this way and finally got caught. I looked up the bluebook value the value of the car with the extra mileage and the difference was several thousand dollars less.

The odometer only had 5 digits, so the odometer started over at zero once it reached a hundred thousand miles. We got the car just before it reached 30,000 (the 2nd time) and it was still less than three years old, so the dealership repaired the radiator “under warranty.”

In a follow-up letter the Justice Department told us that the seller had been convicted, he had been sent to jail and was sentenced to pay into a fund from which we would be repaid. That was about 20 years ago and of course we’ve never received anything in compensation.

That’s an incredible story. I’ve never heard of a 5 digit ODO.

I do like the use of no MILS. The whole display looks very playful. The bouncy castle is then just the icing on the cake in that room.

Dan
    Participant

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wnavvjp1cewjxm/IMG_20160526_165505726.jpg?dl=0

So PayPal won’t judge in his favor if he makes a claim? His motives are revealed by asking for $20 instead of a replacement box. Its like asking Solomon to cut the baby in half.

This is totally on the buyer as long as you made clear insurance was optional. I purchased a MISB Blacktron I Meteor Monitor and the box was crushed in shipping (one of the few times that’s ever happened to me). So I filed a claim with USPS, sent pictures, described the problem, and received a refund.

I’m guessing this guy is upset that the box got damaged during shipping and he didn’t have insurance.

Laura
    Participant

I am planning to buy and ship a new box,

If you’re still looking for a box, I have one that’s been folded flat.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

So I filed a claim with USPS, sent pictures, described the problem, and received a refund.

Was that because you had insured it?

If you’re still looking for a box, I have one that’s been folded flat.

Thanks for the offer, I am trying to buy and ship one through bricklink. Its going to cost about $13, including shipping to Colorado.

That’s an incredible story. I’ve never heard of a 5 digit ODO.

It was a Mercury Sable, basically the same as a Ford Taurus; I think it was a ’94 and we bought it in ’96.

I also had a franchise jeweler switch the diamond on an engagement ring for a much lower quality one. The average person has no idea how to grade a diamond. Anyway, I found that out years later that It had been switched when I got it appraised. In that case, the regional manager gave me a voucher to have the original quality stone restored.

Caveat emptor.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Amateurs.

Seriously. I think most people are ok with stock trains, but a Parisian Cafe?!? It’s a slap in the face to true AFOLs who wouldn’t think of displaying a stock set at a LEGO convention.

Tom Frost
    Participant

I have DOZENS of stackable cardboard storage boxes with handles if anyone wants to start storing LEGO or anything this way.

Are these tall enough to store assembled trains?

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 1,452 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar