Q4 2014 Build challenge – Adoorable

Home Forums MOCs Build challenges! Q4 2014 Build challenge – Adoorable

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

At the Q3 meeting, everyone should have taken home your seed part – the White Door 1 x 4 x 6 with 4 Panes and Stud Handle http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=60623&colorID=1&in=A

There will be 1 prize for most creative use for a door
    and 1 prize for most doors used. Please keep track of how many doors you’ve used.

The LUG inventory of white doors is now exhausted.

I promise Juliette will not be the judge this time around.

Zemata
    Participant

I got this on lockdown

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The LUG inventory of white doors is now exhausted.

If anyone has realized that they have no intention of using their white doors, and you plan to attend the Cranberry dismantling on the 30th, can you please bring the doors to the Cranberry library? Thanks!

Tim

If anyone has realized that they have no intention of using their white doors, and you plan to attend the Cranberry dismantling on the 30th, can you please bring the doors to the Cranberry library? Thanks!

OK, so Greg is clearly going after the “Most Doors Used” category. 😀

Josh
    Keymaster

As stated previously, the smallest set will be the prize for each quarterly challenge. This quarter will be set 3930, Stephanie’s Outdoor Bakery
    http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Stephanie-s-Outdoor-Bakery-3930

out DOOR bakery! PERFECT!

Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

I love that Juliette judged the last one – it’s the only way I could have won third place!

Dan
    Participant

Will “most doors used” be interpreted as “highest percentage of doors given to you” or the actual raw number?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I love that Juliette judged the last one – it’s the only way I could have won third place!

If we’d been informed in advance of the judging panel’s identities, I would have built differently. Not to discredit your build, Nancy… just saying, “know your audience” goes a long way.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Will “most doors used” be interpreted as “highest percentage of doors given to you” or the actual raw number?

Fair point, but wouldn’t the result be the same? Unless you were given 0 doors, which would wreak havoc with the percentage calculation…

Aaron Gomez
    Participant

As stated previously, the smallest set will be the prize for each quarterly challenge. This quarter will be set 3930, Stephanie’s Outdoor Bakery

Will this be the prize for most doors used or the most creative use?

Josh
    Keymaster

I will give the most creative award first, and that person will choose between a half cup pab credit, or the set. Most doors will get the other.

and yes, I can entertain the notion of it taking the most creativity to use the most doors…just sayin’

Tim

My entry is complete! I’m excited to see what everyone has come up with. Doors, doors, doors!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Who were the winners? Pics pics pics!

Tim

I got this on lockdown

Props to Evan for calling his shot! He won for most use of doors by building a door shooting gun. Micah won for Best use of doors (he built a house using the doors as angled siding, an air conditioner, and a fence). The other entries were Dave, who built a candy jar which was super sweet (pun intended), Aaron built a hand holding playing cards (the doors were the cards), Dan built a M-Tron mineral grinder using the doors as grinding blades, I built a spaceship using the doors as armor plating, and there was a windmill using the doors as the blades and also as siding on the building (I am totally blanking on who built that – I am so sorry, someone end my embarrassment and post who that was).

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Wasn’t Greg gonna bring something? I remember at one point he was looking for more doors.

My idea, had I had time to do it, was to make a modular-style building that was a door and window store, esp since then I could re-use it at future train shows n whatnot. I figure it probably would’ve won for ‘most doors used’ but came in last for ‘most creative use of doors’. In fact it seemed so obvious to me that I really thought somebody else would do it.

Ok, pics, let’s go kids, I’ve got the Steel City LUG flickr group page open and I’m not seeing any new submissions in the queue. Chop chop!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Wasn’t Greg gonna bring something?

Within days of bringing the white LEGO doors home, my “mech e” built a clock face with the thin edges of the doors radiating out from the center. It was a brilliant idea, but he needed more doors. Then I fished my wish when I took two boxes home to sort and one was full of black doors. But I decided that since I won the last contest (thanks Juliette) that I should not be participating this time.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Whaaaaaaaaaat? That’s like if in 1998 Elway said ‘Nah, I won the Super Bowl last year, I’ll let somebody else win it this year.’ And I’m pretty sure I speak for everyone in the group when I say that the main purpose of being in a LUG is to dominate and crush those around you, what better way to assert your mastery and superiority than to win twice in a row? Well did you at least take it along so people could see it?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Micah won for Best use of doors (he built a house using the doors as angled siding, an air conditioner, and a fence)

Actually, “Most Creative Use”.

Dan built a M-Tron mineral grinder

I think you mean “an” M-Tron mineral grinder (I’m sorry… I’m so, so sorry…)

and there was a windmill using the doors as the blades and also as siding on the building (I am totally blanking on who built that – I am so sorry, someone end my embarrassment and post who that was).

It was @rbeideman.

Wasn’t Greg gonna bring something?

Well did you at least take it along so people could see it?

I’m sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, Ben, but… Greg didn’t make it.

Also… I forgot to take pics, too… o_O

Tim

Tim wrote:
    Dan built a M-Tron mineral grinder
    I think you mean “an” M-Tron mineral grinder (I’m sorry… I’m so, so sorry…)

Well, at least you correct out of “love”. :-p

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Here is a pic of my entry: https://www.flickr.com/photos/97645378@N02/15477751993/

Greg Schubert
    Participant

my entry

Micah, that house MOC using the doors really goes above and beyond expectations! You are both a creative builder and a talented photographer. Thanks for posting the photos, I am really looking forward to see what else you create.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar