Brickfair VA 2024 AUG 3-4

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Brickfair VA 2024 AUG 3-4

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Mitch
    Participant

We have been discussing going to brick fair as a lug with more people than in past years and potentially getting an Airbnb together or something similar! Any ideas? Who’s interested?

I plan on going and displaying and Krista needs a table count so if you plan to display let’s collect that here as well.

I’ll just need 1 table.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Dude, you are thinking really far ahead! I want to go to BrickFair. Is Logan’s house going to be the Airbnb?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

I plan on going. Maybe bring my Hogwarts Great Hall (it was only at Brickfair Exton in 2022; never at BFVA), my Pittsburgh skyscrapers (it is possible I could have a new one built by summer to complement the Gulf and K&L Gates buildings), or maybe my Fayette County Courthouse. Lots of ideas; few concrete plans.

Logan C
    Participant

Wouldn’t miss it for the world! I’m gonna estimate 1 LUG table for now, although once again I’m not sure how much I would put in the LUG area vs the Pop Culture section with my Transformers peeps. And with the new “only bring new builds” rule, I’m not sure how much I’d be able to bring at all. I haven’t been super productive in the latter half of this year. Hopefully winter break will help me change that!

Is Logan’s house going to be the Airbnb?

Haha, that would be up to my parents…

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

The HI is right across the parking lot from the Dulles Expo, and it’s super convenient, especially with the Walmart right there also. I started staying there in 2016 after prices at the places on the other side of Route 50 went up and I was no longer saving money by staying farther away. I’m sure there’s cheaper options than the HI, even with the group rate, but once you start staying there, it’s difficult to leave.

I haven’t decided what to do for this event. My original plan was to only do GBC next year, but that’s changed now that I definitely plan to return to Brick Erie. So more likely I will have some kind of Pretend Space build – not Mysterious Planet – and it will be either one or two tables. If it’s two tables, it will be double depth, not end-to-end.

I have not looked into buying my own tables yet. At BWC this past year, I attended a seminar on the evolving train standard, and they recommended tables where the ends of the legs have feet on threaded rods, so you level them out precisely (needed to align train track). If I go to two tables this year, it will only be because I designed a building that’s too deep to sit on a single table, and I’ll need the tables to line up. I’ve had success in the past with MILSed plates overcoming uneven alignment in the LUG tables, but some of those convention banquet tables are pretty bad.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

The BrickFair website is finally back up. I detect no difference in how the site presents to the public. We still can’t access anything about Chantilly until the Fredericksburg event is over.

Will McDine
    Participant

I was originally supposed to be out of town for a wedding this same weekend, now it seems likely that the wedding has changed to an immediate family only affair. That said I already have August 2nd-5th off, so I will more than likely attend this year!

Micah Beideman
    Participant

I will be at BFVA, but probably won’t have anything to display with SteelCity. (I sadly don’t find time to build much anymore, and any small things I do build will probably end up in RebelLUG). Unless we do some sort of collab. Then I’d probably try to do some small contribution.

Pamela S
    Participant

I’m definitely going again this year with my friend (and her son, Matt is suppose to come too). I’m still trying to get Matt to join the LUG. He is a little shy and has a bit of a speech impediment. I keep telling him, that no one here is that judgmental and very your all very kind and welcoming …Kinda hoping when he comes to the show, he will find that out for himself. In any case, we would probably not do the Air BNB for that reason alone, but I honestly think I will have something in the form of MOC ready to go by that time, it might just be a mosaic, but I’ll have something (maybe even a MOC or two!)

Micah mentioned a collab, I’d love to do a collab with some as well. It would just open the door to be able to learn how to MOC better!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Pamela S.
    JR
    Participant

I am planning on attending! I am not entirely certain what I’ll be bringing but I have a rough guess. I’m thinking a diorama of Mos Eisley Cantina and the surrounding street, a couple of my Diagon Alley buildings, and maybe a couple smaller things.

Would I be setting up in the Pop Culture area, or just with the LUG? This is my first event displaying.

Krista K

We’re planning on attending again. The HI worked well for us as it let Zander take breaks. I’ll probably be bringing something smaller, maybe new. Not sure yet.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’m seriously considering going as a presenter this year, not committed yet. Some wedding dates are pending.

I’ve enjoyed going as a spectator, but four hours is NOT enough time to see everything and speak with the presenters … I’ll get tickets for a full day next time.

Marcella Spear
    Participant

I am interested, but I do think I’m going to Brick Rodeo in Austin in July. So – not 100 yet.

Dan
    Participant

I’m interested in attending.

Mitch
    Participant

@jrbookworm I think that would be up to you on where you display. I’m sort of in the same question but I think this year I am likely going to stick with the lug.

JR
    Participant

How much space would each person have? I’m likely to bring 2-3 Diagon Alley Buildings, my cantina diorama I’ve yet to build, and maybe a couple smaller builds. I was planning on bringing boxes for some things to elevate them and take up less space as I don’t want to take up more than necessary. My DA builds are small enough to put them behind something else of mine, for instance.

I’m not particularly outgoing and would prefer to keep all my things with the LUG, around people I know.

Krista K

@jrbookworm We don’t have set amounts per person, just let us know what you need. It helps to measure since you have to put that in anyway when you register your mocs.

JR
    Participant

Thank you! When do I need to know by and whom do I contact?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Thank you! When do I need to know by and whom do I contact?

For now, you just need to contact the group here. Eventually you will need to register your MOC’s on the BrickFair website, but due to a quirk in the system, you won’t be able to until after the Fredericksburg event ends in early March.

For the LUG display, we will reserve a space with Todd once FXBG is over. Last year Krista was our contact person with him, and I’m guessing that that won’t change if she’s planning to go again. Because of space shortages last year, the sooner we can reserve our space, the easier it should be for us to get what we need, and we will want to be as precise about it as possible.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

CORRECTION: They finally fixed it! The BrickFair website was down for most of November and December, but when it came back online, I couldn’t detect any difference from the old site, even though I was looking. But I’m on now, and you *can* access everything about the NoVA event now.

The first thing to do is to register your MOC’s with the website, which you can’t do until you register for the event. I can’t remember if it’ll let you register the MOC’s before you’ve paid for the event.

My plan last year was to have everybody register their MOC’s with the idea that Todd would give the LUG adequate space based on what everybody registered, and that definitely did not work, so you’ll still want to bring that information here as well, so we can make a suitable table request. We want to make sure we get enough space, but we also don’t want to waste any, because the event doesn’t have any to spare.

Krista K

For the LUG display, we will reserve a space with Todd once FXBG is over. Last year Krista was our contact person with him, and I’m guessing that that won’t change if she’s planning to go again.

Right now we’re planning to go again, but I feel that it might be helpful if someone wants to co-lead with me (or even take the reins and I’ll be your backup). I’m not going anywhere, but with Zander getting a little older and more involved in summer activities, I just don’t want anything falling through the gaps.

Krista K

My plan last year was to have everybody register their MOC’s with the idea that Todd would give the LUG adequate space based on what everybody registered, and that definitely did not work

I’ll have to check last year’s post, but I recall us wanting to submit our space size to Todd early. I want to say like late May/early June.

Will McDine
    Participant

Confirmed I will be attending! More than likely will be registering this weekend, If the spots they have at the holiday inn sell out, anyone have any alternative hotels? Or do we want to potentially skip the holiday inn and see if another hotel would give us our own block that way we are all together?

Micah Beideman
    Participant

I will be staying at a friend’s house this year, but in the past I have stayed at this Extended Stay America as a cheaper option: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Kp52zJPR8Fae67XZ7

It’s like a 10 minute walk from the convention center.

Will McDine
    Participant

I went and registered Alexis and I today. I have not paid just yet, but will be paying soon. Once I pay I am going to go through and register all of my MOCs. I will wait add my MOCs until we come to a consensus as to what the best way to do it is. Personally If we go down the route of registering our own I will likely register everything fudge the size of some MOCs so that I get a full table or two (still have not decided what all I am going to take at this point).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar