“Project Baseplate” starting LEGO clubs for kids

Home Forums All Things LEGO! “Project Baseplate” starting LEGO clubs for kids

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

In August I overheard someone saying “we got the grant from LEGO.” To shorten the story, from what I understand, Miriam Wertheimer at CMU is piloting a national program which is now ready to launch. Here is the eamil I received today:

“I am excited to share that we have finally launched Project Baseplate to train individuals to run Brick Clubs in the US. I’d like to introduce you to my colleague John Balash, the strategic partnerships manager on the project and a fellow Adult Lego Enthusiast. John can talk in more detail with you about the program and possibilities for engaging with you all.

Best,
    Mimi
    Book a virtual meeting with me — click here”

https://www.cmu.edu/gelfand/project_baseplate.html

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The very next message I received was from John Balash, jbalash@andrew.cmu.edu

“Hi Greg, Always a pleasure to connect w/ another AFOL. Would be thrilled to have a chance to touch base and explore synergies. Please let me know when you might have some availability in the next week or so. Thank you for the connection, Mimi!

Best regards,
    -John”

Josh
    Keymaster

Awesome. I never heard anything of this. One of the first things that came to mind is if they have/want any input for when we get emails/messages/questions about if we have any resources for kids. Typically, I just refer them to their libraries.

To that point, we also have lots of relationships with libraries, so we could connect them too.

Will McDine
    Participant

I saw this on the news last week but completely forgot to post about it here. Looking forward to any relationships we can form here!

Krista K

That’d be a cool resource. If they’re looking for test subjects, I’m running the Ross Elementary club.

Keith
    Participant

I talked with John today, as well as Matt who runs a club at Mt Lebanon. We’re looking to schedule a time for me to stop down at CMU, as well as the Mt Lebo club.

I wish there was a way to hold a big event for all the local Lego clubs. That could be really neat!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I proposed meeting with John this afternoon, but right now he is at a conference for school administrators in Hershey, PA. However this indicates that he does have training with groups (how could you demo the activities otherwise?)

John offered March 19th or March 22nd to me. I assumed I would act as liaison to the LUG, but I don’t have an active club so I will let all of you coordinate whatever times work.

Coordinating the western PA clubs is a good idea but it would also be a challenge to find them. There is a LEGO robotics league, FLL, in the region which might serve as a way to get the word out. Perhaps Project Baseplate is in the process of sending emails to local schools, although I think the scope of the project is national.

Krista K

@greg and @lgbrickbuilder certainly feel free to pass along my information to John. I’ll actually be close to campus on the 19th in the morning and am free on the 22nd if you don’t mind me tagging along.

Josh
    Keymaster

anything happen here?

Krista K

@greg and I had a nice meeting with John.

I’m going to campus on the 12th to check out their space and am going to start the training soon. RJ actually got his certification already so I’m hoping to team up with him at some point.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I received this invitation from our Project Baseplate contact at CMU. It sounds interesting, but I have other commitments, so I thought that I would pass it along:

“Hi friends,

The CMU Futurist Club is running an event this Friday (April 26 from noon – 2:00) if you’re able to wiggle free and join us in celebrating their work through Play.

Please see the attached flyer for details and feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. I hope to see you then!

Best regards,

-John”

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar