Cranberry Library Summer Reading 2024

Home Forums LUG discussions Cranberry Library Summer Reading 2024

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Now that the winter Cranberry display is over, it’s time to start the thread on the Summer Reading theme. As Marcella said in the Penn Hills library thread, the theme is “Adventure Begins at Your Library.”

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dan
    Participant

Seems like great inspiration for a castle/fantasy themed build. Maybe a large open book with knights/dragons/orcs/wizards/trolls spilling out as a centerpieces?

Tim Brown
    Participant

That would be cool. Whatever we do, I think this theme allows for us to come up with distinct sub themes between the libraries. So if we do Castle/Fantasy for this one…maybe we do Space, Age of Exploration (Ships/seafaring), Lost Relics (Indiana Jones/Tomb Raiders) ect for the other? That way people can either build for both, or build for the theme that most interests them and we can get good coverage at both(or more) places.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Dan’s idea about modeling books in LEGO is gold! The idea is a natural for using a bookshelf to enable more use of vertical space in the display.

There are now many official LEGO book sets, one example that comes to mind is Brick Tales Pop-Up Book 21315. HP and the princess series both have multiple examples.

Some books could be open, others just closed on the shelf. What about the story builds for the Northland Public Library display … some of those could be elaborated upon for the Cranberry Summer Reading.

Tim

Bumping this thread for discussion about the Cranberry summer reading display (see: https://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/displayatallthelibraries/#post-57761 for additional reference).

Unless anyone objects, let’s move forward with a Castle theme and aim for installation on Saturday, June 1, 2024.

I’m working on a landscape which could either go along the front or the back of the display case. Let me know who has what to contribute. Looking forward to another great summer display. 🙂

Tim Brown
    Participant

Castle works for me. I have the blacksmith as filler for the moment, but I’m sure I can come up with something castlesque for the bottom and probably a dragon of some kind for suspension.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I still have a tall yellow castle that we used the last time we did castles. Maybe it needs a moat made out of lava.

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> (@bengood921 could the White Castle be ready for this?) [copied from the #DisplayAtAllTheLibraries! thread]

Sorry, I somehow missed this one. Also, I’m not sure how serious you are here. I did see that Greg’s yellow castle is still available. But I took mine apart in the fall of 2014. I foresaw no opportunities for reusing it as it was at the time. I don’t want to threadjack by going into detail about all the issues that castle had, but they were numerous.

I do still have a bunch of the flying vehicles assembled, should you decide you want to use them. That I can go into more detail about, if there is interest.

I don’t expect to be able to build anything for this. All my Lego time is going towards being prepared for Chantilly and Erie, and I am already behind.

>> Maybe it needs a moat made out of lava.

Maybe. We did water last time. I’d probably put down some sort of paper or fabric liner between the lava and the floor, both to make the color look better, and because the floor of that display case is gross. I’m pretty sure I brought a vacuum one time and did the best I could, and it was still gross.

But it also depends on how much lava you need. I plan to use it at the aforementioned Chantilly and Erie, and I will probably need about half of it, so we can’t put so much in the library display case that I risk coming up short in August.

Jade
    Participant

I was talking to Tim at the home and garden show- I have a small gray castle that was a redeemable set last year through Lego that I could build and I have a dragon to go with it that is part of a set. Both are probably the size of 1 baseplate total. I can contribute them to our castle theme.

Tim

I can contribute them to our castle theme.

Wonderful. I am going to start working on a preliminary layout. Hope to have that together and will share here by end of the month(ish). We can then refine it from there based upon what everyone is willing to contribute.

Jade
    Participant

Thanks Tim. I have an idea for how I want to add to the baseplate and fit the castle and dragon into a theme I just haven’t built it yet (only the dragons built)! I’m glad you can incorporate it.

Tim Brown
    Participant

Dimension Photos to help with planning.

Attachments:
    Tim Brown
    Participant

Floor Dimensions

Attachments:
    Jonathan Wagner
    Participant

I have both the original 1984 King’s Castle and the 3-in-1 castle that could be used (both on display at Home and Garden).

Greg Schubert
    Participant

@timf have you started a layout for Cranberry?

Tim

I am going to start working on a preliminary layout. Hope to have that together and will share here by end of the month(ish).

timf have you started a layout for Cranberry?

Yikes, is it already the end of the March??? OK, give me a few more days and I’ll get a prelim layout. If anyone knows what space they need, let me know here ASAP and I will incorporate it in.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The yellow castle and gatehouse cover two 48×48 baseplates.

Tim

Thank you, Greg. I am just working out final dimensions of my landscape before posting a first draft of the layout. Does anyone else have any specific space requirements (other than “filler”)?

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I have a ton of castle built so can provide any thing I have built we may need (castle, wizard tower, dragon, 40 horses and knights, other knights, tons of animals if there is a farm setup, windmill, stable, Asian pagoda, etc). 1 baseplate up to 8 maybe. I also have 20,000 – 30,000 1×1 trans light blue studs if we need water. I will also use paper underneath that as @bengood921 has suggested to avoid the yuck that may be present.

Not sure what is all decided and what is needed or in what scale.

Tim

I also have 20,000 – 30,000 1×1 trans light blue studs if we need water.

Yes, I think doing water would pull everything together nicely. We did water years ago with a previous castle display and, like (Ben’s) lava, it just works very well to fill in the gaps.

Jonathan Wagner
    Participant

Water will be nice to go between the different sets and buildings/areas.

Tim Brown
    Participant

Anything I build for this will be suspended and there’s usually plenty of space for that. In a pinch I have the blacksmith for filler.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I have several dragons that could be suspended from the trellis, and several trolls from LOTR that could be added somewhere as well. I also have a catapult and a ballista that could be added to any siege scene.

Tim

Just FYI, we’re targeting Saturday, June 1 for installation.

Will McDine
    Participant

I took the “Up” House set and converted it to a full house. If you wanted to use it to tie further into an “adventure is out there” theme let me know.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar