5988 – Pharaoh’s Forbidden Ruins “ReMOC”

Home Forums All Things LEGO! 5988 – Pharaoh’s Forbidden Ruins “ReMOC”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Avi
    Participant

I’m a big fan of Lego’s Adventurers theme, and for many years, “5988 – Pharaoh’s Forbidden Ruins” has been one of my white whale sets. Problem is, complete copies tend to hover at around $300+ on BrickLink. I was messing around in Stud.io when I decided to try to rebuild the main temple part of the set – no side builds – with the modern brick color palette and substitute modern brick elements where I could. I also decided to include no printed pieces to further cut down the price. The result is a list that hovers around a much more reasonable $130 ($100 for parts, $30 for shipping).

Edit – apparently, the Bricklink wishlist is saved as a forbidden filetype so I cannot upload it, but if you are interested, let me know!

Notes:

I have replaced sarcophagi with inverted slopes; the silhouette is the same, though the sarcophagus molding is absent. The blue “sarcophagus” at the temple’s base is on a swivel panel; the idea is to add the mummy/minifigure of choice so it can jump out.

I have added spikes to the bottom of the trapdoor that previously would drop a minifigure into a criminally empty space.

I have replaced the modular palm tree elements with the palm tree build from set 60365 – Apartment Building.

As there is no part-for-part replacement for the Dark Gray crocodile “statues,” I made two brick-built crocodiles from Dark Bluish Gray instead.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Avi.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

excellent work and I can really appreciate the intention to get it to a reasonable price!

Avi
    Participant

Thank you! Really, the bulk of it is just remaking the instructions 1-for-1 and forgoing printed elements. But I did have fun with the crocodile statues! I’m currently looking for ways I could recreate the effect with the revolving door and the magnetized Ruby trap in the courtyard…

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Avi.
    Will McDine
    Participant

Its funny you mention this set, One of my co-workers just brought one of these sets into work for me to look through, It wasnt 100% complete, I quickly realized it did not have the truck portion, but most if not all of the other pieces were present. Truly a great set with some nice printing!

Avi
    Participant

Oh, man, what a find! Truly, the gem of 1998 (and I’d say that even without the nostalgia goggles)!

Avi
    Participant

I’ve continued to iterate on the remake – I’ve discovered that the large slanted panels can be replaced with this collection of slopes and still retain a semblance of structural integrity!

I’ve also added a (somewhat crude) brick-built recreation of the classic sarcophagus.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar