road trip to greensburg – March 29

Home Forums LUG discussions road trip to greensburg – March 29

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I should be able to do this. As I just posted on the LVRR thread, though, it’s not the actual RR Museum that we need to scout, but Huber Hall in Latrobe. We could visit the RR Museum as well, if you like; but that’s not where we’d be displaying.

Josh
    Keymaster

updated the link to put on huber hall and the correct temporary location of the museum. so yeah, probably not worth stopping at the RR then. just something else to do, if desired. Maybe someone will feel inspired to recreate it or something.

Tim

I can not make March 15. The only free Saturday for me in March at this point is March 29.

Josh
    Keymaster

alright, any have a problem with the 29th? it’d be back to back weekends with q2, but technically a new month.

Rodney Bistline
    Participant

Perhaps if my day stays clear on that day, I’ll see about meeting up with you guys again. I’m interested, and these places are a bit closer to home.

Dan
    Participant

March 29th works for me.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I do have plans in the evening on 3/29, but as long as we’re back at a reasonable hour (or I drive separately), should be ok.

Tim

I can not make March 15. The only free Saturday for me in March at this point is March 29.

I can be there by around 2:00 pm (kids have conflicting events in the morning). I’ll drive separately as I will have my boys with me. The Museum is open until 5:00 pm (is the gallery space also open until 5 pm?). Will any LUG members still be around at that time?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I don’t think we set any exact times yet. Should plan on at least 2 hours’ time in the car (guess it depends a bit on if we carpool / from where), and half an hour to an hour at each site – more if we want to enjoy the RR Museum and the Gallery, rather than simply scout for the displays. Since the LVRR display will not actually be at the RR Museum, visiting that site would actually be a luxury; we should be able to scout Huber Hall in Latrobe fairly quickly (I’d guess 20 minutes tops to get a feel for it, but we can call ahead to make sure it’s ok to visit – there could be a wedding or something!)

Josh / others, do you agree with that assessment? I’d think we could leave around noon and be back in the Burgh by 6 or so… I wouldn’t mind picking up lunch along the way too, if that interests people (bonding time!)

Josh
    Keymaster

yeah, that would work well. Still not sure if I’d take a car full of Halls or not, but noon would work well for a car nap time.

Zemata
    Participant

I’d like to go if anything just to take a ride with the LUG bros.

Josh
    Keymaster

Still working out details on my car situation. Who is interested in going?

Tim, Evan, Matt, Dan…Rodney?

Tim

I’m going but can not leave Cranberry until around 1:15 pm (kids have ice skating lessons at 12:30 pm). I have room for 2 other people if anyone from Cranberry area wants to carpool.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Still planning on it… numbers / carpool point(s) / timing seem to be potentially complicated, eh?

Dan
    Participant

I’m still a go. I can meet Matt most easily.

Josh
    Keymaster

Alright, I’m solo on saturday. Takes a little over an hour to get there from my house, so I’ll plan on leaving around 1pm. Directions tell me to head toward century 3. Evan, you still interested in going for a ride? If so, want to meet and leave your car someone where in century 3?

I’ll plan on eating lunch beforehand. I’d plan on going to the museum first, drive by the firehall 2nd (I could easily skip this), drive by the remodeling site of the museum 3rd (something I could skip too). Don’t really have a desire to go by the actual RR museum building. How’s everyone else’s priorities weigh there?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Directions tell me to head toward century 3

…and then what? High Level Bridge to the Parkway?

I’m pretty flexible, as well. Could carpool with anyone from the East End who wants to (like such as Dan). My only caveat is I do have plans in the evening so I’ll need to be back by probably 6 or 6:30.

Agreed, the Westmoreland Museum should be top priority. Huber Hall (fire hall for LVRR) is probably nothing to worry about – just a space with some 6′ tables for us to set up on. And the RR museum itself is further East, and we won’t actually be displaying there, so it’s not critical to see it this weekend.

Josh
    Keymaster

tells me to head south to get on 70. It actually told me to get on 43 to get on 70, but going through 51 saves me a buck or two and gives me the chance to meet evan, for the extra couple minutes of driving. I’ll probably just take 43 if it’s just me. though…if it’s just you…maybe i will drive that full distance…

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Oh. Yea dude, if you’re going to get on I-70 and go thru New Stanton, 51 angles Southeast from West Mifflin (well, technically Large is where 43 starts) whereas 43 heads Southwest (you’d be driving two legs of the triangle instead of one). Or maybe it’s not really a triangle, but you’d be hitting I-70 about 10 miles further West if you take 43, which kind of cancels out the fact that 43 has no lights and a higher speed limit. But yeah, either way works.

though…if it’s just you…maybe i will drive that full distance…

I don’t know what this part means.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

So, we’re shooting to arive at WMoA around 2? It looks like about an hour drive for me, so Dan and I (anyone else from within the city?) could prob leave at 12:45-1:00…

Tim

I’ve had an unfortunate change of schedule for tomorrow and I will not be able to make this. Hopefully someone can get some good pictures of the space. Sorry to have to bail at the last minute. 🙁

Josh
    Keymaster

I’ve made a judgement call to cancel tomorrow. Not based on you, Tim. We’re under the gun for philly brickfest and the ligoneer display, and we have time to worry about westmoreland museum. We could very easily just stop in at the museum during the ligonier display. Gives matt some time to breath and be more prepared for next saturday’s q2 meeting, and my wife could use me around the house tomorrow. No worries at all, we’ll get it done.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar