Brick the bridge (WiP)

Home Forums MOCs Brick the bridge (WiP)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Still a Work in Progress (WiP)

a small (heh) tribute to the Knit the bridge project http://knitthebridge.wordpress.com/

I had talked to Julia about this to get some details since she did a panel, and she suggested getting the lug members to all contribute a panel…I like that idea, but I’ll take it a step further…I wanted to do this at a much larger scale, using the 1x4x2 fence, I have ~160 of them…but I’ll need at least 300…preferably 600. That’s going to run me about $100 on bricklink. I was thinking it’d be awesome to get the public to do a “panel” with 1x1s on a fence at the Future tenant gallery.

I’m thinking at least letting LUG members fill in the rest of the mini one at the gallery.

to finish the mini right, I need a few parts: http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/anyone-have-any-yellow-flexhose/

• This topic was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Josh.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Could you use non-LEGO yellow coffee stirrers (instead of flex hose) and save yourself a lot of dough? I honestly don’t know if anything like that is commercially produced.

Josh
    Keymaster

I have no clue. I’m thinking about just using the ribbed hose with tabs. I was shocked to see 1) the price of flex tube 2) how rare they are. How do i have 4 just from unsorted lots???

Dan
    Participant

Yarn?

Josh
    Keymaster

Yarn?

You just earned your MENSA badge.

i found someone with 3 of the short ones for $2 on BL. so, that gives me what I needed for the small version with my 1 short one. IF I proceed with the larger version, yarn would actually be a nice tip of the hat…I was thinking 2×2 rounds on a string for the main lines and 1×1 rounds for the vertical supports, a la Greg’s bridge…but just yarning it up would be a lot simple, possibly nicer, and cheaper.

Josh
    Keymaster

and i’m full of arg. I found 3 different small sizes of flex tube in another unsorted place. Not perfect matches, but for this build, i could have made it work. I need to finish sorting before I get into more projects!!!

Doug
    Participant

How do i have 4 just from unsorted lots???

Are they from the Fire Brigade?

Josh
    Keymaster

i think the fire brigade only had the 1 long one.

so, yeah, i guess that makes my inventory of yellow flexhose even more ridiculous now…wtf.

Dan
    Participant

Are you preparing to do a Lego Marcus Crassus MOC? (read the second paragraph)

Josh
    Keymaster

Are you preparing to do a Lego Marcus Crassus MOC? (read the second paragraph)

…I’m sorry, I don’t get it. Which makes me sad, because I didn’t get at least one of Greg’s jokes, that was actually pretty funny. I’m losing my wit, I think.

Anyway, i just did some math (consequently AFTER order ~200 yellow fences) that a minifig scale bridge would be about 15+ feet long. WTF was I thinking? I’m not doing this project anymore…maybe I’ll condense it SIGNIFICANTLY and use all the fence pieces to do all 3 sister bridges… I’m thinking the mini bridge is just right.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I wanted to do this at a much larger scale, using the 1x4x2 fence, I have ~160 of them…but I’ll need at least 300…preferably 600.

I used up all the 1x4x2 yellow lattice fence I have on another bridge, but I just counted 54 of the 1x4x1 yellow fences.

To be fair, I think Marcus Crassus is somewhat an obscure reference and even after going to the wikipedia page I could not make the connection. However I did see a History channel show once about Caesar building a bridge to Germany using something like 10,000 men, just to show the Germans that he could invade them. As I recall, after the bridge was finished, his army marched over the bridge, looked around, then marched back over to their own side and had the bridge dismantled. 🙂

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Dan
    Participant

Crassus had a team of firefighting slaves. He would try to buy burning houses from their owners as they burned. If they sold, he had the fire put out and flipped the house for $$$. If not….

Not a great subject for a MOC, but thought you might be amassing a firefighting brigade haha

Josh
    Keymaster

and, of course, those 3 hoses that I bought were soft hoses, not rigid. So, they’re basically rubber tubing that won’t work, and they’re too long for this scale anyway. I’m calling it done.

Brick the Bridge – A small tribute to Knit the Bridge

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar