BrickLyft

Home Forums All Things LEGO! BrickLyft

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Julia
    Participant

Sooooo I may or may not have been hired by Lyft and I may or may not have filled my car with LEGO for it…

Lyft is still a little bit controversial and in a legal grey zone, so I’m not openly connecting it with my other internet or social media endeavors just yet. But I couldn’t help but share it with you guys :-). It does have its own twitter, though, which you should all totally follow. (@bricklyft)

I also have a legal question for you guys – Lyft really loves it and wants me to call it LegoLyft. I am insisting on calling it BrickLyft because I’ve had some aggressive emails from the LEGO company’s lawyer army in the past about usage of the word LEGO in Etsy listings. Am I right? Or am I just being paranoid?

• This topic was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by Julia.
    • This topic was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by Julia.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m no lawyer, but seems like, from what I’ve heard, better safe than sorry. If you can’t use their word on Etsy, I’d imagine they won’t like it in this case, either…

But you’re saying Lyft itself is in a legal gray zone? Do tell.

I do find it entertaining that in your efforts to ensure it’s NOT called “LegoLyft”, you’ve emblazoned your dashboard with LEGO(R) and the term LegoLyft is used at least once… subversive.

Also noticed that @JanePitt (that’s Brad Pitt’s mom, for those who didn’t know…*) and @IHeartPGH… that’s awesome! Everything is awesome!

* – it’s not Brad Pitt’s mom, though many on twitter who don’t agree with Brad Pitt’s mom’s politics have yelled at PittGirl because they thought that @JanePitt was Brad Pitt’s mom…it was hilarious.

Josh
    Keymaster

You can not use LEGO in any marketing or in any way that would either draw LEGO association with a product or use LEGO as a means of (additional) profit without their permission. So, yeah, you’re right not to use it. Do people do it anyway? sure. Does LEGO always catch up to them? No. I like the ring of bricklyft better. playbricklyft works too, in my opinion.

Julia
    Participant

Yeah, that’s what I thought. I’m cool with bricklyft, and actually the giant subversive disclaimer (I’m glad you find it subversive, Matt, that’s exactly the tone I was going for) has sparked some conversation in the car.

As far as Lyft goes – the taxi companies (all two of them), are arguing that we’re operating as an illegal taxi service, a glorified jitney basically. The mayor and other Lyft supporters trying to get regulation through the PUC to classify it as a “transportation network company” instead, operating under a different set of regulations than the taxis do. Pittsburgh’s powers-that-be are fully behind it and it looks like most of our state legislators and candidates for state governor are, too, so I think it’s likely to be resolved relatively soon.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

What’s in a name? Did you know that bricklink was brickbay before the site owner got emails from some ornery online auction company with bay in its name?

When my eBay name was legomason, I got an email from TLC. I changed my name to leggomason and I have not hear from either TLC or Legg Mason, Inc. But I use the name LEGO all the time in descriptions of things I have made with LEGO products, that is not a problem. I assume you can do that on Etsy, just don’t call yourself the LEGO Diva … using LEGO in the name of something is else is the problem.

Are there cabs with makeup in the glove compartment? (Hit this out of the park Matt.)

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Greg, I’m sorry, but every time you say you’re teeing one up for me, I come up completely blank.

MascaraLyft?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Are there cabs with makeup in the glove compartment?

What would they call that, FaceLYFT?

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

What would they call that, FaceLYFT?

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

lol

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar