Bricks Cascade 2020

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Bricks Cascade 2020

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

This is probably the most unnecessary thread I’ll ever start, since I can’t imagine anybody from the LUG is planning on going to this one, but I’ll make it just in case. Bricks Cascade is held in Portland, Oregon, and the next one runs February 27 to March 1 (Thursday to Sunday, it’s a leap year), 2020.

Me n Rachel are both registered and paid, so we’re going. Rachel’s best friend from childhood is moving out there, and apparently she thought I was more likely to say yes to going to visit if there was a Lego convention involved. Right now my plan is to take the (hopefully much improved by then) space plants build.

http://www.brickscascade.com

Registration is $65, which is typical these days, but they use a much more complicated schedule where the price increases the later it gets, so if you’re gonna go, you’ll wanna register by mid-January.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’ve mentioned BrickCon in Seattle before… I do have family out there, so it’s not inconceivable for me to plan for a West Coast convention, I’d just tie in with visiting Grandma and all to get more bang for my buck on the flights. Not unlike Rachel visiting her friend.

That said, not ready to commit today. 🙂

Micah Beideman
    Participant

I have a lot of friends in the Portland area, so I’ve definitely considered doing Cascade, but I don’t think it’s happening this year.

It being during the school year is a bit of a downside (and having to pay for a flight) 😛
    Rn BFVA, BW, and Brick Assembly are all higher priority for me.
    If I was gonna go to a 4th convention it would be Cascade, but I think 3 is enough…

Tim

apparently she thought I was more likely to say yes to going to visit if there was a Lego convention involved

And apparently she was right. :-D. Seriously, it sounds like a lot of fun. Someday I hope to expand my convention repertoire. Keep posting on these; I love seeing what events others are attending and getting pictures and first hand accounts.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

We made it to Bricks Cascade and back. (Micah also made it, despite his earlier post, I’ll let him post about his own experiences there if he so desires.)

The convention itself was great. They experienced a surge in attendance the past couple years, both for exhibitors and the public, and so the number of exhibitors broke 500 this year and their public attendance I think was over 12000. Everybody was friendly and we had a good time. Half the Lego Masters contestants were there.

Unfortunately, we both got really sick (no, it’s not coronavirus). We both went to Urgent Care, and I missed about half of public hours – and all Saturday evening activity – because I was on the Nyquil diet. I won a trophy for Best Space build, although it was announced at a ceremony Saturday evening that I didn’t attend because I was in the middle of sleeping for 20 hours, and Rachel didn’t attend cause she went out to dinner with her non-Lego friends.

I’m not sure who we report cup credit to these days @joshhall @timf, but we both displayed and staffed and represented Steel City LUG while we were there. Rachel was present for all public hours despite her cough, I was there for significantly less. We were both there for setup and teardown. So that would be 4 cups for Rachel, and 2.5 cups for me.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Because I was sick, I took very few pictures. Rachel got some of our stuff, and at some point I will decide which ones to post to my Flickr account, and add them to the Steel City LUG group. In the meantime, for anybody interested, there is a guy named Bill Ward who posts a lot of Lego pics to Flickr, and he must’ve been at Bricks Cascade, because he has an album containing 1486 photos and 3 videos from the event. Additionally, he has a separate album containing 33 pics from Lights Out (their version of World of Lights), which I also missed cause it was Saturday evening. He also has an album of 8 photos of Lego Masters contestants.

Rachel made a light-up mosaic of Umbreon, the Pokemon character. She also had a display that demonstrates how a circuit board can be used to cycle through the lights on a timer. Ward got pics of each, although we’re not sure the Umbreon was lit when he took the photo. He also got a pic of LUGDoug.

I took the Space Plants build. I doubled the depth from the Q3 version, and I completely landscaped it this time, so it has a level of detail that the Q3 version lacked. Unfortunately, the rocks aren’t as good, my plan had been to transfer the rocks from the Q3 build, but they weren’t actually designed to be removed, and there was damage incurred in removing most of them from the old build which I was ultimately not able to overcome despite spending a couple hours on it. And then at that point I did not have the time to build new rocks that were as good as the old ones, so I had to settle for lesser rocks. Ward considered my build to be worthy of five photos.

Bricks Cascade MOCs 0001

Bricks Cascade Lights Out 01

Bricks Cascade LEGO Masters 01

Bricks Cascade MOCs 1466

Bricks Cascade MOCs 1467

Bricks Cascade MOCs 1465

Bricks Cascade MOCs 1460

Bricks Cascade MOCs 1461

Bricks Cascade MOCs 1462

Bricks Cascade MOCs 1463

Bricks Cascade MOCs 1464

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Yeah, so I was there. I didn’t really bring anything, but my friend Grant brought a large portion of our collab (Painted City), and it won best in show, so that was cool. Also, when you win categories at Bricks Cascade you get sick prizes. For best in show we got a decent sized trophy and the Sydney Opera House. I also did some on-site building to help-out with another collab (Imagine attached. I worked on the rocks in the back). Also made this video: https://youtu.be/MNVw0RgMpUw
    (I’m the camera man).
    I thankfully did not get sick like Ben, despite going to taco bell for 5 meals during the 4 days I was in Portland.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

@bengood921 @rachelh @hacim I have added the event to the PAB Tracker. I did 4 cups for Micah as well.

I thankfully did not get sick like Ben, despite going to taco bell for 5 meals during the 4 days I was in Portland.

That kind of Herculean gastrointestinal strength might deserve an extra cup. :-p

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar