CCAC LEGO Courses (Fall 21)

Home Forums LUG discussions CCAC LEGO Courses (Fall 21)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Krista K

So I’m going into my second year teaching my two LEGO-related courses with CCAC. One focuses on digital building with Studio and using BrickLink integration. The other focuses on mindful play with LEGO bricks. They both start the week of 9/13.

Here’s the link to the Studio course: https://shopcommunityed.ccac.edu/Courses/General_Interest/Build_Like_a_Lego_Master.aspx

Krista K
    Krista K

I just checked my roster for both courses and it looks like the mindful play probably won’t run due to low enrollment.

The Studio class could use a few more folks. Although it is an adult class, but I’ve had mature teens and tweens sit in, especially since it’s online. @mrmain18 this is the course we were talking about.

If you know anybody who might be interested, have them sign up soon. 😊

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

And anybody can sign up for this course? The information at the link is not specific, but the implication is that it’s every Thursday for six weeks.

I’ve wanted to know how to use Studio for some time, I started the built-in tutorial on my own a couple years ago and I didn’t have the patience to get very far.

My second question is, will the sessions be recorded for later viewing? The reason I ask is that I have the same problem this year that kept me from signing up last year – I will be traveling during the first session and won’t be able to attend. If I could watch it early the following week, I would be able to attend the other five sessions.

Krista K

@bengood921 Yes, I’ve had students from Canada, California, Ohio, and locally. CCAC doesn’t seem to limit it to Allegheny County, which is great. It is listed as an adult course, which means you need to be 18 to register. However, I’ve had a few parents sign up and then let their mature teens and tweens participate and it’s worked out well.

I haven’t done recordings, but I do share the slides. CCAC doesn’t have a great place to host files so I’m still figuring the best way to share files, but it restrict only to registered students. I can share that the first class is really just an intro to the course, basic LEGO terminology, resources (like the LUG), and an overview of BrickLink. Admittedly, it’s probably stuff you already know. 🙂

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I talked to Rachel about it tonight, and she thinks she might be interested in the class also. And it looks like we might be able to push up our departure time, in which case we could watch the first class from my parents’ house.

What’s the deadline for signing up and what program are we using to join the classes when they’re occurring?

Krista K

That’s awesome! I would recommend signing up by Monday. The classes will meet via Zoom and it’s helpful to have the Studio software installed to follow along while we build and for the assignments.

Steve
    Participant

Hello. Is this course always virtual or will it be offered in-person in the future?

Krista K

It’s currently virtual only. I have had students from all over, which is really cool. I’d love to do a Saturday workshop, but I was told North campus isn’t running Saturday classes at the moment.

Krista K

It looks like the class is almost entirely LUG members, which is awesome! I’ll send out info via email with the class link and handouts tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing everyone on Thursday!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> It looks like the class is almost entirely LUG members, which is awesome!

I was surprised by that, but I guess I hadn’t really thought that one through. (Admittedly, my brain is geared towards the traditional model of college as a four-year program where students are enrolled full-time, rather than classes where anybody can sign up.) But the question would be, if they’re non-LUG members, then who are they, and if they’re that into Lego that they’re taking a class to learn Studio, then why haven’t they joined our group yet? Although I do realize that I’m starting to make us sound like a cult here, with the whole ‘we must convert everybody to the cause’ vibe.

Krista K

But the question would be, if they’re non-LUG members, then who are they, and if they’re that into Lego that they’re taking a class to learn Studio, then why haven’t they joined our group yet? Although I do realize that I’m starting to make us sound like a cult here, with the whole ‘we must convert everybody to the cause’ vibe.

Oh, I recruit pretty heavily within the course. Renee and Kerri can attest to that. They were both students of mine prior to joining the LUG. Quite frankly, I think it’s because some people just don’t know we exist so I do my part to inform. 😉

Lindsay
    Participant

Hello! I just registered on this site today and learned of this class… It literally started 19 minutes ago! Will you be running it again after this one or is late registration allowed? Thanks so much!

Rich Millich
    Participant

Well, welcome to the LUG forums. Feel free to start up an introduction thread of your own and share your likes and even projects if you’d like. Strange opportunities and ideas just keep coming up in this club, I can tell you that.

Krista K

@cowinadenbuilds Welcome to the LUG!

I would suggest calling Community Education department at 412.237.CCAC to see if you can register. If not, I am planning on running it again in the spring. I know there were a few others who couldn’t take it this term so you’d be in good company. 🙂

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

One problem solved:

In class five a couple days ago, I mentioned I was having a problem where I had made a custom palette, but it always brought in the new parts in white and didn’t let me select the color, and we couldn’t figure it out during class.

This morning I am making a new palette, and I discovered that Studio is looking at the color of the part you’ve selected when you add it to the palette, and setting it at that color. So I can add a 2×4 white brick and a 2×4 tan brick to the same custom palette, and choose them accordingly.

So I can definitely work with that, although I can imagine situations where you wouldn’t want to have to do it that way.

Krista K

@bengood921 Thanks for figuring that out! So in essence the custom palette functions more like a very specific parts list, treating each color part as its own entity. That’s really good to know.

I guess that Studio would then want you to add the same part again in a different color or just change it in the Color Palette on the right. I agree with you that there would be situations where you wouldn’t want to have to do it that way.

I truly appreciate you letting me know. I tend to work more in the Master Palette and just pin the categories I use the most and had never noticed that before you mentioned it.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

As the course came to the end, I figured if I had any additional questions, this would be the place to post them, especially since Krista and the other members of the class presumably would still be subscribed and would see them. But after some thought, I decided it would be better to start a new thread for that purpose. And then I thought some more, and I was pretty sure a thread for Studio already exists, so I went and found it, and added a post.

There is otherwise not much in it so far, Josh started it in Feb 2020, and it only has four posts so far. I thought there was an older thread on it, but I couldn’t find it, I think we just talked about Studio a lot in the LDD thread when Studio first came out.

Here’s a link to my most recent post, for anybody who is interested and missed the thread before:

Stud.io

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar