Farmhouse MOC

Home Forums MOCs Farmhouse MOC

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

In eastern PA where @bengood921 and I spent our formative years, you see a lot of old farmhouses made of stone. After putting down roots here in Pittsburgh, I acquired a print of a painting by Peter Sculthorpe to hang in my front entry and to remind me of my hometown. I finally decided that I should undertake building the farmhouse shown in this print from LEGO. In an effort to research the artist, I discovered that the building may not exist and may only be a compilation of his memory of similar buildings. So I cannot really know what the rest of the building is supposed to look like. But I digress, here is what the print looks like:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I started really making progress last weekend. I spent a good chunk of yesterday and today finishing it. My fingertips are very sore from pressing together, (and even more from taking apart,) 1×1 round plates.

I stole the idea for the brickwork from an online source, but I am proud to have invented some double hung windows with a SNOT technique. Also, there are three brick-built doors.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    Tim

Greg, that looks really nice. I like the double hung windows. Are the walls 2 studs thick? I would assume that they are since otherwise, the walls would likely be extremely delicate. Are any of the 2x bricks in the walls profile bricks? I see where you used profile bricks along the back wall by the shed and the back door.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I originally started making all the walls with 1×2 gray plates (it is still that way on the front surfaces) but then I started to run out of 1×1 light gray and dark gray round plates. I used profile bricks and 1×2 light gray bricks in the pattern on the sides to conserve plates. By the end I had five or six round gray plates left … I probably used 1000 of each!

Your question about the wall depth is insightful. Not only would the wall be unstable but you’d be able to see through the cracks between the round plates. There is a layer of 1x6x5 light yellow panels, (and some black bricks,) behind all the 1×1 plates. This worked nicely to give the appearance of a soft yellow light through many of the windows.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

…that woodpile, tho…

Tim

This worked nicely to give the appearance of a soft yellow light through many of the windows.

I can see a glimpse of the light yellow in some of the pictures. I wondered what that was. One other question – is the small structure to the left of the door in the above picture a well or a “pass-through” door for wood for the fireplace? I’m thinking it is a pass-through since there appears to be stacked wood (or lumber) beside it (the tan and dark tan tiles).

Greg Schubert
    Participant

is the small structure to the left of the door in the above picture a well or a “pass-through” door for wood for the fireplace?

I thought it was a well, although in the painting there is some big gray wheel in it, too big to be a pulley, more like a millstone. But you’re idea of a pass through door is ingenious – its next to the wood pile and the chimney.

Tim

But you’re idea of a pass through door is ingenious – its next to the wood pile and the chimney.

My grandparents house had a pass through door into the living room, right beside their fireplace. So it was easy to always had lots of wood to burn. I always thought that was a really cool feature.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Beautiful MOC. the windows are very clever and the whole thing looks great

Dan
    Participant

I love this!

Tim

Greg, I was looking at the print again and two thoughts struck me: (1) you could do the background as a mural to sit behind the Farmhouse (a la the Alps behind the Alpine Village); and (2) we could build the entire scene as a farm setting (similar to Laura’s farm that she has done) with outbuildings, pine trees, and fields of crops.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

you could do the background as a mural to sit behind the Farmhouse

That is an appealing idea. The background would not have to be six feet wide like the Alps. I am enamored by that print … the limiting factor for me seems to be time.

Laura
    Participant

Very cool!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

MOC 25520 Dacoma 4×4 Redux

It seems the truck is a much different scale. A tire might be as tall as the front door.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-25520/Madoca1977/dacoma-4×4-redux/#comments

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar