Mindstorms Question

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Mindstorms Question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tim

Rachael, the Cranberry Children’s librarian, sent me the following email. Any suggestions?

Sent: ‎Wednesday‎, ‎January‎ ‎21‎, ‎2015 ‎3‎:‎53‎ ‎PM
    To: Tim Freshly

I would love to get some Lego Mindstorm thingies up in here to use for programming with teens. do you guys know of any grants??? or how I could maybe get some for super cheapy cheap? 🙂
    Thank you!
    Rachael

• This topic was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Tim.
    Josh
    Keymaster

Negatory. I field a lot of these questions to the LUG. Let me know if you ever find anything!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

“super cheapy cheap” would be a great name for a rock band.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m no doubt less informed than Josh, but my experience has been that ‘Mindstorms’ and ‘super cheapy cheap’ are mutually exclusive terms, and that unfortunately this is wishful thinking on Rachael’s part. You might as well be saying ‘Hey I’d really like to own a Ferrari, do you know where I can get one super cheapy cheap?’ I agree with Ambassador Matt though.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Now that Mindstorms is on its third generation, the cheapest way would be to buy older sets with the oldest “intelligent brick,” the RCX.

There is a league for Mindstorms robotics called FLL or the FIRST LEGO League. If kids want to get into that I suggest they find a team.

http://www.firstlegoleague.org/parents/childonteam

Participants should expect to pay at least $100 – $150 to participate on a team of ten students because the team buys basic parts, the competition kit, (which is new each year,) a registration fee and a competition fee.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

*Pretty* sure I have a couple old NXT bricks lying around not being useful… #charitabledonation?

Zemata
    Participant

you can try official lego shop. Last I remember there were some special educational mindstorms pricings and such

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

My friend Randy is in First Lego League with his daughter (I’ve seen the setup in his basement and it’s pretty cool), so I asked him for details on how much it costs him per year. I can post the full reply here if anybody’s interested, but the short version is that although it sounds like a really fun program, it’s the exact opposite of ‘super cheapy cheap.’

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar