Standards, tutorials, and information thread

Home Forums LUG discussions Standards, tutorials, and information thread

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Zemata
    Participant

Hey guys I thought we could use a thread to keep all the useful info and articles we find in one place.

MILS
    http://www.abellon.net/MILS/index.html#tip3
    This is the modular landscape system I presented at our last meeting.

PennLUG Track and trolley street standards

Instructions

This is where you can find instructions on how to build to the standards PennLUG has set including tracks with ballast and roads with trolley track embedded in them.

Modular Building Standards
    Modular Standards for Lego City Buildings
    This is pretty easy to understand but helpful for those who want to make their own compatible modular.

Lego Track Geometry
    http://www.brickpile.com/track-layout-geometry/
    A very helpful study on the dimensions of Lego track.

More to come later. Looking for road and sidewalk standards and ways to integrate modular houses into MILS.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Here’s the Classic Castle City Standard for those of us working on wall segments for Andrew’s Future Tenant gallery:

http://www.classic-castle.com/ccc/cccstandard.html

(it’s also linked in the “Sept 15-22 Art Exhibition” thread, but may as well be here for posterity / to be easier to find in the coming years.)

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Josh
    Keymaster

I wanted to highlight some of the easy to remember points of MILS from that first link of Evan’s:

1 – if it’s ocean, baseplate then water.
    2 – if it’s river, baseplate, plate, then water.
    3 – for path/trail – baseplate, brick or 3 plates, then plate.
    4 – for paved road – baseplate, brick or 4 plates, then tile.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

MILS questions

1. are SteelCityLUG train tracks on top of two plates over the baseplate?
    2. what do you do at the visible edge of a MILS plate? do you just have to build it knowing which edge is going to be showing or is there some kind of LEGO frame that you can snap onto the technic bricks on the visible edge?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

1. Yes. Even if it’s MILSed, we don’t raise them up, the tracks just kind of get encased in the landscaping.

2. You can see it ever so slightly. There’s not really anything you can do about it, and it’s not really worth worrying about anyway. I’ve tried to keep mine consistent though, at Greenberg last November all the front plates are green.

Here’s a pic Laura took at the Trolley Museum, you can barely see my baseplates on the front edge. What’s much more noticeable is the row of green brick immediately above it; since I knew no plates were gonna go in front of them, I didn’t even bother putting technique bricks in, so it looks a lot cleaner and therefore is less distracting, since it’s really not where you want people looking anyway. (If we ever do a setup where I do need technique bricks in there, they’ll be easy enough to swap in.)

IMG_1652

Here’s one from Pete, I used all green in the back, too. I know from stuff like BrickFair that a lot of people will use whatever colors in the back are convenient for them, I just happened to have enough green.

20141109_154749

That’s about all I can find in the time I have here, not surprisingly most pics are focused on what’s on top of the plates, not their edges, so they’re usually not in the pics at all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar