2014 Toonseum Event

Home Forums LUG discussions 2014 Toonseum Event

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rich Millich
    Participant

As I mentioned to Josn, I bumped into John Wos, the curator of the Toonseum. He was excited by our LEGO display at Future Tenant and would like us to organize an event for the Toonseum for the 100th anniversary of animation.

Mr. Wos wants a large LEGO human sized cartoon character from the early days of animation. He mentioned Popeye and Betty Boop. Being the curator for the museum, he has access to the copyright holders to approve such a display.

Mr. Wos likes the idea of intentionally building the character in “black and white”. I told him the difference between old grey and new bley, and he’s fine with that.

I mentioned our hesitance to display white or pale bricks in the window because of yellowing concerns, and Mr. Wos actually wants to display the LEGO build in a central or rear part of the Toonseum.

He also mentioned that he’d like to create an interactive event concerning LEGO animation to coincide with the release of the LEGO Movie.

Finally, I told Mr. Wos that Andrew would be a fine contact since the two know each other and let him know that Josh Hall is our Fearless Leader.

All in all, we have a LOT of lead time if we decide to take on this new building challenge, but, since these are new subjects for us, we’ll need it if we decide to gather support. I’m sure the LEGO company would be happy to supply support for such a display, especially if it is linked to the LEGO Movie. This is also a potentially great way for us to directly support what LEGO is doing in concert with interested local parties.

Thoughts?

Dan
    Participant
    • When explaining the differences in greys were you presenting a 5 color palette (black, dark bley, old grey, light bley, white) or saying we should limit it (ostensibly to black, dark bley, light bley, white)?
    • I recall you mentioning that Mr. Wos can get 3D models of the characters. Is that correct?
    • This Retr0Bright wiki page mentions that fluorescent office lights also give off enough UV light to damage ABS plastic. Just a note.

I love this idea! I think we’ll need some help converting a 3D model to brick, but Lego may hook us up with someone for that. This seems like a project requiring significant coordination with TLG which may reflect positively on LUGs (though seeing our willingness to tackle large projects/take care of most of the work on our own).

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

a 5 color palette (black, dark bley, old grey, light bley, white)

What about old dark gray? And, for that matter, LEGO has light, medium (“light bley”), and dark (“dark bley”) gray – although I don’t think the light one is common.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Colour_Palette

I love this idea! I think we’ll need some help converting a 3D model to brick, but Lego may hook us up with someone for that. This seems like a project requiring significant coordination with TLG which may reflect positively on LUGs (though seeing our willingness to tackle large projects/take care of most of the work on our own).

Absolutely. This could be super rad. We have some time, but will need to spend time planning as well. We have the capacity to make it happen, especially with some help from TLG on a few key points.

Zemata
    Participant

I could bring in my stuff with a small snippet of character creation and development. That sounds like it would fit the theme in that place.

Rich Millich
    Participant

I could bring in my stuff with a small snippet of character creation and development. That sounds like it would fit the theme in that place.

Not sure what you mean there. Sounds cool, as long as it’s related to animation, which will be the central theme. Perhaps I could being one of my starfighters and show its conversion into a video game sprite set. That technically is animation.

Zemata
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Evan wrote:</div>

Not sure what you mean there. Sounds cool, as long as it’s related to animation, which will be the central theme. Perhaps I could being one of my starfighters and show its conversion into a video game sprite set. That technically is animation.

I meant have a little textual blurb included that details my process of concieving original characters based on Lego models.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar