2015 Summer reading theme

Home Forums LUG discussions 2015 Summer reading theme

• This topic has 12 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Josh.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

2015 Summer Reading Slogans (general theme: Heroes)

• Children: Every Hero Has a Story
    • Teens: Unmask!

This won’t just be for the Cranberry library.  We can do displays at some of the other libraries we’ve talked to as well.  It’s way early, but just wanted to get this out there before I got a dozen questions of “what’s the theme next year?”

Tim

One general idea would be to take a superhero and create a diorama of that superhero’s origin story.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

This won’t just be for the Cranberry library.  We can do displays at some of the other libraries we’ve talked to as well.

One general idea would be to take a superhero and create a diorama of that superhero’s origin story.

Maybe we do one superhero per library, but with a wicked awesome battle scene featuring all of them at Cranberry (because we play favorites…)

Or, maybe we shy away from the obvious pop culture theme and do “everyday heroes” or something like that…

Also, Unmask, eh? I feel like there could be some interesting riffs off of that…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

maybe we shy away from the obvious pop culture theme and do “everyday heroes” or something like that…

Like firefighters? I like that idea. I think the library would want us to focus on the “story” aspect somehow.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Shamelessly bumping this topic, because it’s The Next Big Thing (display-wise) after PBF, and because last year by PBF we had three awesome castles built for Cranberry, and this year we have… vague notions.

I’m all about Everyday Heroes and/or Unmask (the everyday life of Superheroes?) If we try to branch out (get it?) to other libraries besides Cranberry, we could do both themes at different locations.

Let’s brainstorm at PBF, eh?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Everyday Heroes

I think Will is building a huge fire station, he might be able to take control of the entire display.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I have a oversized police helicopter

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4439-1

to contribute to this display.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I have an oversized police helicopter

Come on, Greg; you’re an educator!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Juuuuust to wrap this up, all the discussion has been happening on the Cranberry Summer Reading Display 2015 thread… it’ll be simpler to keep it there, probably.

Tim

Yes, but remember that we have had some discussion about doing summer reading displays at multiple libraries (not just Cranberry). So anything pertaining to the overall summer reading theme (and not just to one particular display) would still be appropriate here. To build on that (pun intended), is anyone else planning on doing a display other than at Cranberry Library?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yes, but remember that we have had some discussion about doing summer reading displays at multiple libraries (not just Cranberry). So anything pertaining to the overall summer reading theme (and not just to one particular display) would still be appropriate here.

I know, but we kind of already were using the other thread for that discussion, too. (Mostly because I forgot we had this thread…) We can try to bring it back here, if you like.

To build on that (pun intended), is anyone else planning on doing a display other than at Cranberry Library?

Maybe. I’m working on contacts at the Carnegie Libraries / Allegheny County Library Association to see whether we can get in with any of the branches… I dropped by the West End branch over my lunch break yesterday, and the librarian I spoke with – Jamie Collett – was quite interested (more so in build challenge events than a static display, but still); however, she said she isn’t allowed to make decisions regarding partnerships, and that I’d need to go over her head to make the connection. She gave me contact info for the Coordinator of Children’s Services with CLPGH and the Youth Services Coordinator with ACLA, so I’m going to send an e-mail to both today and see where that gets us.

It may be tricky, because they have a LOT of branches, and I don’t think we’re prepared to display at more than a few within the next few weeks, but I figure we can take the momentum from a friendly and interested librarian and run with it to at least start the process of building a working relationship with the city libraries. Jamie also mentioned that due to recent state laws, every volunteer who works with kids needs to go through background checks and whatnot… I don’t see how that would apply to just installing a static display, but if we started getting involved with events, we’d have to do that. Interesting that (at least so far) we have not had to do so for Cranberry Library…

One other comment is that I have a friend, Lauren, who is Teen Library Assistant at the Woods Run (Bellevue-ish) branch of CLPGH; I contacted her and she was all about a display – they don’t have a glass case, but she thought that putting a display on a fairly elevated shelf and having the librarians keep an eye on it would be sufficient (maybe we don’t use $40 Hulk figs at that one, if we do it.) However, she didn’t seem to know about the same restrictions that Jamie mentioned – Lauren didn’t say anything about going up the ladder to get permission. So, we’ll see what comes of that, too.

Anyway, here were my comments on the Cranberry thread, brought over for clarity:

I also think we can/should try to expand our footprint at local libraries. Not every display will be able to match Cranberry in scale (depends on the display cases), but it’d be super cool if we could get out to some other branches, make connections, scout display cases, and put some smaller vignettes in elsewhere – if we play our cards right, we could turn it into a city-wide scavenger hunt that families could pursue over the course of the summer.

I could probably hit up these library branches easily enough, if I put my mind to it:

Carnegie (map / list of branches)
    – Mt. Washington
    – Main (Oakland)
    – West End
    – Lawrenceville
    – East Liberty
    Other
    – Green Tree

And Josh has made a connection at Bethel Park, no? Anyone else have friends / leads at other city or suburban libraries?

Obviously, we don’t want to spread ourselves *too* thin here, but I also think we can get away with a lot of modular buildings and simple town layouts for this one… it’s no DIG Into Reading where the logistics and planning took months…

If we want to go for this grand idea, I’d say we’d need to hit up the libraries within a week or so to establish how many locations and the available sizes, so we have time to plan and build. Maybe we could at least get a couple within city limits, and one library each in the North/South/East/West ‘burbs? 5-7 locations, small displays at most, go for the gusto at Cranberry (and maybe at Carnegie Main)?

Thoughts?

Tim

Matt, those additional contacts look promising. Even if having multiple Library displays does not work for this summer, it would be great to make this a LUG priority for next summer. Doing multiple displays would give more opportunity for more members to participate, rather than feeling like the only opportunity is to schlep up here to Cranberry (not that it is so far away but, for example, those down around Uniontown, it is probably at least 1.5 hours). The Bethel Park display case seems like a nice small case to work with. BTW, anyone know how much longer the display there is going to run? Not worried about getting my (limited) contribution back, but just curious.

Josh
    Keymaster

I know it’s still up, I’ll check in with this this week.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar