A Different Focus

Home Forums Introductions A Different Focus

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

A month ago I didn’t know there were so many people in the world so enthusiastic about LEGOs. I still don’t know what a MOC is. Why did I join the Steel City LUG? Because a few weeks ago when my son was on leave from his training in the Navy, we decided to move the dining room table to the living room and dump all the buckets and boxes of old LEGOs on the dining room floor. “Let’s find all the instructions and build all the sets we can…” Four weeks later, the project is done although he left to go back to training three weeks ago. By the time he left, we were so far into the project that I couldn’t stop. Also, a couple of months ago I was relayered (laid off but had enough years to retire) from my job, which involved information research and content management (a lot like the LEGO project) so I had a lot of time on my hands.

During the project we learned all kinds of things we never knew – there are LEGO instructions online (ToysPeriod). There are set inventories and data online (ToysPeriod, Peeron, Bricklink and more).  And most amazingly, there are people all over the world who are very serious about LEGOs, as you know. And so this “let’s build all the sets” project went from casual to compulsive.

I had to know how many complete sets we have. How many others do we have that aren’t complete? Wonder if we could get replacement parts? Actually, that was one of my first questions and I went to the LEGO site to find out.  It looked like the LEGO web site sold basic stuff, but how would we find find some of the unusual stuff?

We went from scribbling notes about missing parts: “guy head with goofy teeth” or “2×2 yellow slant” and “red flat 1×4” — to learning the LEGO vocabulary: Minifig, not guy.  Slope, not slant. Plate, not flat. I found my taxonomy/authority control at Bricklink and then I knew I had to re-do my recording system, moving from the backs of my dad’s old business cards to a spreadsheet. I also knew I had to inventory EVERY missing part of every set for which we had instructions.

While I was at it, I captured how many pieces and minifigs were in each set, what the actual name of the set was, what series it’s from, the following cost info: MSRP, MSRP less 15% (because that’s more like what we probably paid) and current market value. I defined current market value as a sale price on Bricklink for a comparable set from a US seller. Most of our sets have instructions and no box. I captured cost info only as a matter of curiosity, not because I really want to sell sets, by the way.

At any rate, I gave myself a very limited budget, since I am no longer employed, to buy replacement parts. Again I was surprised at the many sources of LEGOs listed in Bricklink for the Pittsburgh area. I picked one vendor, Pittsburgh Bricks – which is Josh Hall – and that is how I ended up here in the Steel City LUG.

Tim

Nancy, what a wonderful story.  I am so glad that you and your son have re-discovered the joy of the Brick.  Hopefully, you can join us at our next meeting on June 1 at the Cranberry Library.  We will be installing a display (see this thread: http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/group-build-underground-theme/).

Please also let you son know that we appreciate his service to our Country.  We look forward to meeting you and him in person.

Josh
    Keymaster

After talking with you these past few interactions, Nancy, I’m really curious what part of LEGO is drawing YOU to the hobby. This picture serves as a pretty funny portrayal of the facets of the hobby, but also a pretty accurate depiction of the diversity in people’s interest.  I think that’s largely why the adult community is so large.

Do you think you’re interested in creating MOCs (My Own Creations, btw)?  Does sorting appeal to you mostly at this point?  I struggle with finding 1 identity in the hobby…I’d love to just sort sort sort for the store, but, I always want to be creative and build awesome stuff!  Sometimes buildings, sometimes mosaics, sometimes sculptures…I just can’t pick 1 to be good at, so I settle for being average at a couple.

Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

Thanks for letting me know what a MOC is.  My kids predominantly built MOCs – they would usually build the set one time, and then fairly soon after they would disassemble it and add the bricks to the collection. Most of the time they built new creations out of whatever bricks and parts made sense. Our family values that type of creativity highly.

Even though they mostly enjoyed free-form building with LEGOs, we always kept the instructions. My reasoning for that was that the design plan and instructions represented a large part of the value and cost of LEGOs.

The beauty of LEGOs is that the original designs and instructions provide ideas and fuels for what’s possible to construct out of LEGOs, and how to approach problems of structure, functionality and aesthetics. At the same time basic LEGO concepts help provide a foundation for learning math and later, engineering concepts.

I’ll insert here my plug for <a href=”www.rose-hulman.edu”>Rose-Hulman</a> (my HTML may be rusty so I hope that turns out right). When my son was a high school junior all the cards and letters poured in from colleges. We still remember Rose’s – a postcard with LEGOs on it and the phrase “You always knew…”  (He did end up going there and got an excellent engineering education.)

Like Josh I don’t know what my favorite thing is about LEGOs. In the recent project I loved the sorting, loved the building and really loved the documentation.  But what I really need to do is some similar sorting, organizing and maybe documentation of some of the other kinds of “stuff” that I have in my house.

Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

I knew it – bad HTML 🙁

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Nancy, if you don’t mind telling a bunch of adults who still play with toys, in which area of the ‘burgh do you live?

Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

Wait – you aren’t planning a raid on my LEGOs are you???

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Well if I knew you better I might say that I was organizing a SEAL team for this mission, but in actuality no, just curious.

Regardless, if  you are going to be an official AFOL, you won’t be able to say “LEGOs” anymore, because LEGO is the brand name and the products are LEGO bricks or LEGO parts.  AFOL’s try to respect the company’s right to be protective of how its name is used.  The LEGO Company  has gone so far as telling people to change their name on eBay if it contains the letter sequence LEGO.  I think a TLC representative even cautioned someone in our LUG not to use the word blocks instead of bricks.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Regardless, if  you are going to be an official AFOL, you won’t be able to say “LEGOs” anymore, because LEGO is the brand name and the products are LEGO bricks or LEGO parts.  AFOL’s try to respect the company’s right to be protective of how its name is used.  The LEGO Company  has gone so far as telling people to change their name on eBay if it contains the letter sequence LEGO.  I think a TLC representative even cautioned someone in our LUG not to use the word blocks instead of bricks.

Harsh, Greg… but true.  I do believe you’re correct on the caution we got at KidsFest.  I think it’s ok to slip up and say “LEGOs” occasionally, but not a bad idea to start trying to use the proper terminology – especially when there’s a paper trail (or data trail… 😉 )

As for your location, Nancy – we aren’t looking for addresses or anything, just a general geographic idea so we can more effectively plan meeting locations and whatnot.  So far, most of our active members either live in the city, North near Cranberry (or Gibsonia, right, Greg?), or along 79… ish.  Well, Josh just moved to the ‘burbs so that’s one fewer in the city and one more in the South Hills…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Harsh, Greg… but true.

Sorry, I was trying not to sound harsh and I don’t really know anyone who is currently a SEAL.  But yes, I live in a part of Gibsonia that is within a triangle made by the PA turnpike, route 8 and route 910.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Sorry, I was trying not to sound harsh

I know; I was just messing with you as a lead-in to my marginally useful comments.  It’s all good!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I was just messing with you

I do know some ex-cub scouts though.  Watch your back!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Hey now, I got through Bear Cubs, I can hold my own.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar