After a "wink, wink" and a "nudge, nudge"…. Hello, all!

Home Forums Introductions After a "wink, wink" and a "nudge, nudge"…. Hello, all!

Tagged: 

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kathy Kleinerman
    Participant

Hi Everyone!
    Kathy here… I live in the Wexford area north of the Burgh. I believe someone recently called it the unholy north with no tunnels or mass transit and a VERY mundane existence… thanks, Josh. heheh
    I’ve recently become introduced again to Legos by means of my ten year old, Kade. On a trip to WDW we lost ourselves in the aisles of bricks and fantasy. *sigh…life’s good, eh?
    Needless to say, we spent too much time and waaaay too much money on our new addiction! Woohoo!
    We’ve been building models such as the Pet Store, Palace Cinema, RV, Haunted Castle, a satellite which name escapes me, Grand Emporium, ALL the Monster Fighters sets, large and small… geez… lots of others, White House, Police Rescue double blade Helicopter,…Harry Potter, too… Santa MIGHT be bringing more HP things like Hogwarts, etc… OH! Also, he MIGHT be bringing the Mindstorms Droid Developer thingy ( can’t remember if I saw it wrapped or not!) Sheesh! We’ve also got the Green Grocer, Maersk and Fire Brigade (not sure if we’ll open the GG or Maersk). Ok, I’m feeling a little lightheaded with all of this thinking; would rather be building!!
    I’ll need to inventory things and get control here!
    I started my love of Legos in the eighties with the Space Station. I really wish I would have hung onto it, though. Feeling lucky that my daughter loves Legos, too.
    We took a trip to Cleveland in October to check out the Lego store there and already have our summer vacation planned with nearly 2 1/2 weeks of access to the WDW Lego store!! Ok, we’re heading there for Disney but I have my eye on a couple of sets.
    On a personal note, as I mentioned, I live in Wexford with my daughter. I’m a former equine riding instructor/trainer (retired due to too many back surgeries) and spend entirely too much time finishing my house ( former barn and really should be done by now!).
    I’m excited to get to know you all, checking out your creations and becoming part of the Steel City LUG!
    We’re off tomorrow morning (24th) to spend Christmas at the beach at Gramp’s place.. I’ll be sure to keep connected while we’re away!
    Safe and Happy Holidays Everyone!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

We’ve also got the Green Grocer

WHAT.

You know people list those for absurd amounts on eBay, right?! Is that how you got it??

Anyway, welcome! Hope we get to meet you at our “Q4” meeting… it’s looking like January 11 is the date.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Kathy Kleinerman
    Participant

Hiya, Matt

Got GG on Ebay NOT for a high price…I was watching several and lucked out on one that ended at 3 AM our time. Sometimes insomnia pays off! Sadly only sometimes…but I’ll take it!
    The high prices on places like Ebay is why I was thinking of NOT opening it. Though it’s a tough one…I’d really love to build it.
    Glad you mentioned Q4 January 11. I’ll be home by then and will hopefully be able to make it. Where does it take place?

Kathy

Kathy Kleinerman
    Participant

Ooooh! Got the Tower Bridge, too… not built, yet.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

It’s probably going to be at my house. Still confirming the date and time. Look for an official announcement soon (probably after Christmas…)

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

It’s probably going to be at my house. Still confirming the date and time. Look for an official announcement soon (probably after Christmas…)

And nice job finding a deal for the Green Grocer! If you ever see another one for cheap, I’m sure several members would go in for it!

Kathy Kleinerman
    Participant

It all sounds good…
    What area do you live? I’m sure it’ll all be revealed in good time. Just curious!
    What kinds of food could we bring? Drinks?

Also…Can’t help but ask…. deliberately NOT take photos of Doug’s stuff? What’s up with that? Am I too new to ask?

I will be sure to keep my eyes peeled for another GG. I may have to get that one, too so I can actually open and build it!

Thanks for the welcome, Matt.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Polish Hill… ish.

Not sure if we talked about food, but chances are we’ll start early afternoon (i.e. – after lunch), go for a while with whatever snacks people bring, and then think about ordering pizza or something if the party is still in full swing come dinner time…

So… I take photos of our displays and post to Flickr – I’m not the only one who does it, but I’ve done it quite a bit. And, Doug made a comment at our last display about how he felt I was focusing on other stuff, and not getting good pics of his part of the builds… which is patently false. So it’s a somewhat inside joke. Unless I really have overlooked some of his MOCs… but if I have, I’m unaware of it. I’m *pretty* sure Doug can take the joke… and I’m pretty sure I’m safe because my Flickr feed includes pics of his farm house (Great Wall build), bomb shelter (DIG build), Medieval village & castle (Future Tenant Display – about 20 pics just of Doug’s stuff in that photoset), and row houses (Greenberg Train Show / PA Trolley Museum Santa Trolley display). The only thing is, I’ve been trying to pare things down… I tend to take lots of photos, but it’s been pointed out that some folks don’t want to browse 100 pics of a display, but would rather just see a smaller photoset of an overview and highlights. So, I’ve tried lately to put a bigger set on my personal page, then only add maybe 15 pics per display to our SCLUG page.

And… now I’m rambling. Good night, everybody!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Josh
    Keymaster

Hi again!

sounds like we have a new collector in the group! Great to have you join!

my nephew’s name is Kade. Well, it’s kincade, but Kade for short. Hope to see you at a meeting!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

“Know what I mean? Say no more.” Score another one for the North! Kathy, I am curious how you found our LUG. The timing does not seem right for either LEGO Kidsfest (a year ago) or our displays at the Cranberry library (last summer.) We are always trying to find new members to join us at our plastic brick oasis, so its good to know how people find us.

Hey Josh, has the LUG been advertised on craigslist? That seems potentially simple and effective.

Kathy Kleinerman
    Participant

Well, Greg (or do you prefer Gregory?)..
    Timing-shmiming! I’m a list maker. I have great plans, great ideas… but can I ever find those lists? Nope! The timing for meeting/contacting you all has been in the works for months, now that I think back.
    My daughter and I fell pretty hard for Legos during our last trip to WDW this past June. I do remember seeing your AWESOME display at the Cranberry Township Library (was that SCL?). I most definitely jotted down the name and information from the display but in the craziness of life I’m also certain that the list is long lost! Or in a super safe place! Agh! One day I’ll STAY organized!
    The actual contract was made when I connected the dots in my head and began a search for buying bulk Legos. I remembered the display and couldn’t imagine that it was done without some sort of bulk purchase. I began losing myself in the search online and ultimately came upon a thread from your forum. The rest is history in the making!
    You mentioned the Lego Kidfest? I’ve not heard of it; sounds great! Is it a yearly thing?
    And last but not least…. “score another one for the north!” Do you live up here? I thought I remembered reading about a member who is a teacher but in the south…thought it was you. Eh, I’ll figure it out soon enough!
    Hope you have a nice holiday!

Kathy Kleinerman
    Participant

ugh, auto correct… contract/ *contact

Greg Schubert
    Participant

We had two displays in the Cranberry children’s library, one was the Great Wall of China and the other was the Dig into Reading Summer program, a bunch of underground scenes. The “Dig” display was the effort of a bunch of individuals who, for the most part, used their personal supply of parts to create the scenes. It wasn’t until more recently that we had any access to a bulk brick supply.

LEGO Kidsfest, sponsored by the LEGO Company (TLC), tours the US with lots of sculptures made by master-builder employees of TLC. The show stopped in Pittsburgh two years in a row. Last November we had a LUG display at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. There are other LEGO festivals around the country, most of which are fan-sponsored, (not TLC sponsored,) in Virginia, New Hampshire, Chicago, Portland, San Diego and this April, PennLUG is hosting the first event in Philadelphia.

Btw, I am a high school Science teacher and I live in Gibsonia. Another member lives in Cranberry. This photo below is part of our combined effort from a recent train show in Monroeville.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

Score another one for the North!

all in due time…I haven’t been in Bethel Park very long yet…word will get out…

Hey Josh, has the LUG been advertised on craigslist? That seems potentially simple and effective.

I did a round or two in the toys for sale section a while back. didnt get any direct communication.

SOUTH4LyFe!

Tim

Welcome, Kathy! As Greg indicated, it’s always nice to have another Northsider in the fold. I live in Cranberry which is the “far” North. 🙂

Open the Green Grocer; it is a great build.

Glad you saw the Library display last summer. We’re possibly doing two or three Cranberry related events in 2014 (to be discussed further at the 1st Quarter meeting on January 11).

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

SOUTH4LyFe!

Seconded.

Kathy Kleinerman
    Participant

SOUTH4LyFe…..

*snicker

Kathy Kleinerman
    Participant

Hi Tim,
    Thanks for the warm “northern-type” welcome….these other guys from the crazy south are scary! 😉
    I will definitely give serious thought to building the Green Grocer. It’s already tempting!
    Although I live very close to Cranberry Township (Marshall Twp. in Wexford), it does seem pretty far north still… all in my head, I’m sure…
    I’m looking forward to meeting the group in January. I’ve got tons of questions!
    And sign us up (my daughter, Kade and me) for the Lego Movie screening. It’s been quite awhile since I went to the movies with a group.
    If there’s anything else going on or anything interesting to hear about, let me know!
    Kathy

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar