Any interest in DIY lights?

Home Forums LUG discussions Any interest in DIY lights?

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Rachel Hellenga
    Participant

What a cool opening sequence! I think it could be interesting to do a test layout that could enable
    mixing and matching of LEDs (white, UV, and the blue and orange colors) with different diffusers (trans-orange, trans-neon orange trans-light blue, trans-medium blue, and trans-clear).

I have an LED that is such a piercing blue light, putting it under a teans-clear brick might be even more impressive than a UV light under the trans medium blue.

I wish I could make it to your Q1 meeting. Maybe the next one. Photography distorts the image significantly compared to IRL.

Krista K

Has anyone else seen or heard about the LEGO produced light kits? They’re in test to gage feedback, but apparently are causing some controversy.

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-night-mode-lighting-kits-controversy/

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Yes, we’ve heard about it, from a different source. I read the comments on the page you posted, I don’t know if that’s a ‘controversy’ as much as people not understanding intellectual property law. Lego has been getting ideas from third party sellers for more than ten years. Rachel even sent me an article about a term in the tech industry to describe the practice, it’s called Sherlocking, so it’s hardly unique to Lego.

Rachel Hellenga
    Participant

Here is a statement from Brickstuff:

https://medium.com/@brickstuff/lighting-the-lego-world-eff6e41e94d6

Sounds to me like LEGO identified a counterfeiter (Light My Bricks) as a partner, and now they are issuing statements implying nothing is set in stone. I sincerely hope that there is enough backlash from the LEGO community to make them rethink their choice of partner.

Here is an article on Sherlocking and an example of public pressure which caused Apple to at least sort of stop screwing over a developer.

Krista K

Thanks for the clarification. It was really helpful. Based on the surveys, I knew LEGO was looking into lighting but that was the first I had heard of anything concrete.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I expect this session will be about LED lighting and how to put tiny lights in tiny spaces, however I was wondering if it might be of any help to bring strings of Christmas tree lights which are not working.

It is likely that the vast majority of the lightbulbs in these strings are still good and could be use for lighting the interiors of certain LEGO models.

Krista K

@greg I’ll see my dad on Wednesday and talk more about it to see what he’s thinking. I gave him a few of my lit sets that use pico LED lights and a few different charging mechanisms (button battery, AAA battery, and USB) to look through.

Rich Millich
    Participant

What a cool opening sequence! I think it could be interesting to do a test layout that could enable
    mixing and matching of LEDs (white, UV, and the blue and orange colors) with different diffusers (trans-orange, trans-neon orange trans-light blue, trans-medium blue, and trans-clear).

I have an LED that is such a piercing blue light, putting it under a teans-clear brick might be even more impressive than a UV light under the trans medium blue.

I wish I could make it to your Q1 meeting. Maybe the next one. Photography distorts the image significantly compared to IRL.

I too am interested in the differences in color and diffusion results. Once the light is powerful enough, subtle changes can be made. In my experience though, most lighting systems simply don’t have the oomph to have many options available. I’d be satisfied with just getting the wiring to be convenient and somewhat modular and to get the colors somewhere in the wavelength range I want. Blue in particular is tricky, because it includes cyan.

Krista K

Just an update. Still working on this and hopefully will have something more concrete soon.

However, if you’re looking to give a try on your own check out this site: https://evandesigns.com/products/chip-nano-pico-leds

It looks like they have a few tutorials too: https://evandesigns.com/pages/video

Rich Millich
    Participant

It’s things like this that I’m interested in. What would the secondary effects be? Is it even wise to run UV light through *any* brick for a long time, considering how it might yellow surrounding brick quickly? Unknown!

Tom Frost
    Participant

I put 12 LEDs in my White:TRON Vic Viper
    WTVVlights

Tom Frost
    Participant

3mm LEDs fit loosely in a ‘bar’ hole.

WTVVlights2

Tom Frost
    Participant

The lights are connected to a 3v CR2032 button-cell battery hidden in the bottom of the ship.

WTVVbattery

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar