Bethel Park Library

Home Forums LUG discussions Bethel Park Library

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

The library asked to interview me for their public access channel today, and they brought up wanting us to build something for their display case.  I had been there before, but didn’t see anything prominent or lockable, so I never approached them.  The contact, Elaine, showed me to their children’s area were they do have a fixed-to-the-floor lockable case, about 8 inches off the ground.  It’s 12 inches deep, about 26 inches tall (with a removable shelf halfway), and 34 inches wide.

I told her to let me know when she wants something built.  I said we’d like 1-3 months lead time for a case that size, but it all really depends on the content and difficulty.  She also said she’d love to have me come in for their monthly LEGO club (which I gave them a bunch of speedorz for a while back) to do a demonstration.  I’ll probably try to just coordinate an install date with the demonstration.

So, heads up, another library location that we could do to get some parts, credits, and recognition.  I’ll keep you posted when they reply with details.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

The size of the case is clearly very limiting, my first reaction was that the best way to max it out might be something with boxy stackable units similar to what you guys did for the ‘Dig Into Reading’ display.

Tim

Since the case is against the wall and has a definitive back, perhaps we could build a mosaic background, similar to Geoff’s Alpine Village background. We could then build a scene in front of it. How about a space scene? Since the shelf is clear, it could hold space ships as if they are flying. The background could be a moonscape at the bottom and then black space with stars above that.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I like that idea, we certainly have the 1×1 tiles to make the backdrop. I would think the first thing to do would be to choose a backdrop.

Josh
    Keymaster

lol @ geoff. You’re terrible with names, Tim, and I love every second of it.

here’s her recent response:

Well, we are starting a Captain Underpants book club in September and he’s a character all kids kindergarten and up know and love. We’re also hosting a Peter Pan party in November and working with the high school drama club since they are performing Peter Pan this year as their fall play. I wonder if you could do a Peter Pan and Tinkerbell or a pirate ship or something? That would be very cool! 🙂 I also think a dinosaur would be admired by little ones, especially. We have dinosaur program in October. I am thrilled that you are creating a display for us and will be appreciative of anything!! You can decide. I guess I’d be leaning toward a Peter Pan display or a gingerbread house if you forced me to choose.

Thanks again, Josh!
    ps. if you are willing to create another display for the spring, we may be able to do something that coincides with our Children’s Choice Awards. (kids read 8 titles and vote for their favorite one. I would love to have something representative of each book. I know you would need ample time for something like this and not even sure you’d be willing, but it’s another thought…)

if no one feels inspired to take on those, I was thinking of finding an image of the bethel park mascot and doing a mosaic to fit.

Your ideas work too. I like the idea of a background since it’s against the wall. Anything to add a bit of “dimension” beyond just a stand alone piece.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Geoff’s

I am loving how this misspelled name thing is taking off!

Well, we are starting a Captain Underpants book club in September and he’s a character all kids kindergarten and up know and love.

…what is this “Captain Underpants”…?!? Some terrible knockoff of Quail-Man???

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Tim wrote:
    Geoff’s
    I am loving how this misspelled name thing is taking off!

I work with a “Geoff” and had just been emailing him when I logged in and wrote that post. Grrrr. Meant to say “Greg” of course. Thanks for pointing that out, “Mat”. 😀

I vote for a pirate theme. We could do something similar to the fort scene that Dan organized for the New Tenant Gallery display. Perhaps a pirate ship attacking a fort built upon a cliff?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

How about a space scene?

I vote for a pirate theme.

Two things:

1) Make up your mind, Tim!
    2) SPACE PIRATES!

Tim

1) Make up your mind, Tim!
    2) SPACE PIRATES!

I originally suggested Space but then Josh posted that they were looking for a Peter Pan/Pirates display. Sheesh!

I like space pirates (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087451/?ref_=nv_sr_3)!

Josh
    Keymaster

Sorry to let this one drop. I just threw together a mosaic of the mascot for them. I told them to let us know when they get those books for the spring Children’s Choice Awards (CCA) (they expect to know them in October) and we’ll get started. They said they’d love to have a display in march or april as they do the event in May.

bethel park black hawks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar