Cleaning

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Cleaning

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

I’m sorting a bin of used LEGOs, and some are pretty dirty. Does the LUG have a preferred cleaning process?

Dan
    Participant

I use a water/dish soap solution and an old toothbrush. Not the fastest method, but it works most of the time.

Josh
    Keymaster

I use a nylon/mesh bag and do the normal washer dryer cycle with some towels to keep it quiet(er). I learned the hard way not to fill it completely though, too much weight ripped my bag once. May have just been the bag.

Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

I used Josh’s method for a test run of bricks. They got pretty clean, but the LEGOs all bumped up against one another a million times, leaving lots of micro-dings on the smooth surfaces. I compared them to the other bricks which I had not washed. The other bricks also have micro-dings, but I believe the ones I washed have more, or more prominent, micro-dings.

Now I’m thinking about maybe trying the dishwasher, where they would not be moving around.

Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

Here is a photo showing the dings on the bricks from machine washing.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dan
    Participant

Wow there’s really a difference there! I don’t think I want to try the washing machine method. Dishwasher sounds good, but don’t they normally get pretty hot?

Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

I wonder whether the dryer tumbling was really the culprit, rather than the washing machine. I may do some more tests and will report back. Also have to check the dishwasher temperature settings.

Josh
    Keymaster

did you put them in with towels?

STAND BACK – NANCY IS GOING TO TRY SCIENCE!!

Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

They were with towels in both the washer and dryer. I washed them on HOT though (wanted to kill the germs) but maybe that softened the surfaces?

I learned a lot of science at Aperture Laboratories…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Josh, is there any chance that you will have your oxy clean / peroxide mixture at the show? The castle has some bricks which need “sand blasting.”

Josh
    Keymaster

That process takes a full day and lots of sunlight…you’ve got an email coming – to prevent the thread jack 😉

Nancy Flury Carlson
    Participant

Wait, Josh, the topic is Cleaning – does the oxy clean / peroxide mixture clean? If so, details would be useful in this thread.

Josh
    Keymaster

hmmmm…though the process is intended to reverse the yellowing of bricks, i suppose it is a sort of a cleaner…I wouldn’t recommend the chemical treatment for anything that doesn’t need it though…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar