Cranberry Maker Faire – Aug 14

Home Forums LUG discussions Cranberry Maker Faire – Aug 14

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Krista K

I know that August is starting to fill up, by my mom just sent this to me. Have we ever done a Maker Faire before? If there’s interest, I’m happy to help out.

Cranberry Public Library to host Maker Faire on Saturday, August 14

Got mad maker skills? Are you a maker who has something to share? If so, we KNOW you’re going to want to be a part of this! The Cranberry Public Library is proud to be hosting Cranberry Township’s 2nd Maker Faire.

Our Maker Faire team is sending out a call for makers to exhibit at the event on Saturday, August 14th from 9am-3pm. We call it the Greatest Show (& Tell) on Earth – a family-friendly showcase of invention, creative, and resourcefulness. We’re looking for engineers to artists to scientists to crafters who want to show off their hobbies, experiments, and projects.

In addition to the in-person, outdoor event, the Maker Faire team is hosting a virtual event at the same time for those that would prefer to present their skills via pre-recorded video.

Participation in the event is free, easy, and most importantly FUN! For more information or to apply to exhibit at the event visit cranberrytownship.makerfaire.com.

Dan
    Participant

We attended a few Maker Faires when they were held at the Nova Center in North Shore. Was always a good time. I think I’m in pending approval from “the boss”.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Indeed, these can be a great experience! On my radar, will have to also run it by my management.

Bob Grier
    Participant

I’m going to say a tentative “yes” for this one right now. Depends on what happens with some of the other events in the works for August.

Tim

I will also tentative yes this. In linking to this thread – http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/brick-fest-live-pittsburgh-2021-sept-11-12/ – perhaps if we decide to put together a LUG MOC for 9-11, we could work on it during Maker Faire.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Sounds cool … we need an idea for something to make.

Krista K

@greg I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a live build of some sort. Do we have a mosaic like the one that we did for the Science Center? That would let guests build something small and quick, yet work towards something big. It worked out pretty well when I did the Westmoreland County Fair for the Science Center.

@timf
    That’s a great idea, especially if we don’t already have something ready.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

What happened to the LEGO mosaic of the Cranberry Library at the Cranberry Community Day in July 2104? Did the mosaic become theirs? ours?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

We got it back and it was disassembled back into the Collective (99% certain).

Krista K

I just heard back from Rob Martin from the Maker Faire and we would need to sign-up by the end of the month, but I’d like to submit within the next two weeks if possible.

So far I see that @randomdan and @philmatt24 are pending approval and @rcgrier3406 and @timf are tentative. @greg as a yes?

I think we’re in the same boat here as we are with the Science Center media day the week prior. We could pull off a nice display and maybe a live demo of something or if we can pull it together a live build of something to display at Brick Fest PGH.

Tim

@knb112 please put me down as a solid YES for this. 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I believe that I can participate on August 14th; hopefully we’ll learn from the previous event what to build. 🙂

Tim

previous event

The Science Center event?

I was considering designing a microscale Twin Towers and then let people build a section. There are some really nice Lego MOCs out there – here is one from Ideas: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/75c09273-c623-4acb-99ea-50a696fa8de9

Tim

@knb112 do we know the hours for Maker Faire?

Krista K

@timf It looks like 9 am – 3 pm. I really like the idea of the Twin Towers and letting people build a section.

With that in mind, A standard Maker Booth has an 8’ x 4’ footprint with a 6’ x 2’ table , 2 chairs. With people building sections, do you think we should have at least two tables?

Josh
    Keymaster

We got it back and it was disassembled back into the Collective (99% certain).

confirmed.

Tim

With that in mind, A standard Maker Booth has an 8’ x 4’ footprint with a 6’ x 2’ table , 2 chairs. With people building sections, do you think we should have at least two tables?

Do the two chairs include seats for the LUG members (i.e. 2 chairs for us and two for the public)?

@joshhall
    does the LUG supply include any 1×2 Brick Modified with flutes/fluted (Bricklink part #2877)? I may need to order a decent supply of these if we don’t have many on hand.

Krista K

@timf That’s a good question. Admittedly, I’m not familiar with how they’re laying out the “booths” and can’t seem to find any pictures online to get an idea. My assumption would be that the 2 chairs/table would be seats for the LUG (from what I could find I felt it looked like a science fair setup), but they do have an option to request so I could certainly ask for some additional chairs and we could do more like an working space.

Tim

@knb112 We can certainly do this with one 8 foot table. At least 4 visitors could be at the booth at any one time. That should be sufficient table-wise. Perhaps if we could request 2 additional chairs (for LUG members). It looks like me, you, Bob, and Greg are at least tentative Yes.

I started working on a tentative plan for the Twin Towers:
    WIP - Twin Towers

This is 10 wide but I am going to work up a 12 wide model as I think 10 wide may be too small (and be done too quickly).

Krista K

@timf That sounds perfect! I’ll certainly put in for that. Worst case, I’ll throw some extra chairs in my car. 🙂

Tim

Update – I have ordered the pieces necessary to build two 12 wide Twin Towers.

This does not have to be the only activity at Maker Faire. In fact, the Twin Towers may only take 1-2 hours so we probably should have a few other build activities (even just some loose play brick for people to build with).

Greg Schubert
    Participant

It seems like for Maker Faire we should show some MOC’s, but space will be limited to one table. What types of things should we bring?

Krista K

@timf I have a bin of the LUG’s unsorted parts that I used for that summer camp a few weeks ago. I’m going to take it to the Science Center the week prior so it’s no trouble to bring it again. I had created a landmarks activity for the summer camp (attached) that I didn’t end up using. I think they’d fit very nicely as well.

@greg
    I definitely agree that it’d be good to showcase some MOCs, especially since we won’t have anything in the library at that time. With limited space, do you think it makes more sense to do one thing that’s large or a selection of small things?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

I have a bin of the LUG’s unsorted parts that I used for that summer camp a few weeks ago. I’m going to take it to the Science Center the week prior so it’s no trouble to bring it again. I had created a landmarks activity for the summer camp (attached) that I didn’t end up using. I think they’d fit very nicely as well.

Good plan! I like the landmarks activity. I can bring my microscale Cathedral of Learning along with the instructions that Tom made for me. It is 62 parts to build so that could be fun for people to build.

Krista K

@timf That sounds great!

Our application for the event has been submitted. They’d like load-in by 8:30 am and load out can begin after 3 pm. I’m planning on being there the whole time. I think it’s just me, @timf, @rcgrier3406, and @greg who are planning on going. Do I need to create a sign-up sheet with shifts or is everyone just going to be there all/most of the time?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar