Fall 2020 Online CCAC LEGO classes

Home Forums LUG discussions Fall 2020 Online CCAC LEGO classes

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Krista K

I’m teaching two online classes this fall for CCAC, one on Bricklink’s Studio and one on mindfulness through LEGO.

These will be entry-level classes, but if you’re coming out of your dark age and want a refresher or know someone who might be interested, please share.

I’m finalizing my lesson plans over the next week or so, but if you have any “must knows” for Studio, please let me know so I can make sure I didn’t miss anything. Thanks! ?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    David Bacon
    Participant

I actually taught a 1 hour virtual class on Stud.io with my daughter’s 2nd grade girl scout troop. Definitely not as much as I wanted to cover. I would make sure that you get familiar with the controls of Stud.io before teaching. Also, I would devote a good amount of time to making instructions in the program and teaching about that aspect.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Sounds like fun – you could have students from almost anywhere in the world! 🙂

Krista K

I actually taught a 1 hour virtual class on Stud.io with my daughter’s 2nd grade girl scout troop. Definitely not as much as I wanted to cover. I would make sure that you get familiar with the controls of Stud.io before teaching. Also, I would devote a good amount of time to making instructions in the program and teaching about that aspect.

I’m pretty familiar with the controls, but I’m definitely going to practice. I used to do instructional videos and you never get it right the first time. ? That’s a good point though about the instructions. Hopefully I’ll get a computer proficient group so we can spend more time on the higher-level topics.

Sounds like fun – you could have students from almost anywhere in the world! ?

You’re totally right! I promoted it on my Instagram account and got some interest from WA. No registered students yet on the Studio class, but there’s still plenty of time. ?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Can anybody sign up for this class?

Krista K

Can anybody sign up for this class?

As far as I know, yes. You don’t have to have a permanent in Allegheny County, or even the US. This is listed as a general interest class, which is usually adults, but I don’t know if that really matters either, especially with it being online.

Krista K

I stand corrected, “Additionally, Students must be 18 years of age to attend any class that is not designated a youth class.” Since it’s online, I’d just have a parent register on behalf of their teen or tween.

Avalanchepgh
    Participant

I have severe ADHD, I am an active minister (Roman Catholic Priest) and I have to say that between building plastic model kits and LEGO, it helps so much to center my mind and nerves. I really like this article, which shows the importance on the psyche of play, especially as an adult.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-science-power.html?fbclid=IwAR1EzwE1ZzYQr2TGGbreL670jcExzBMkD9G3mAYhny1P6BcDHMgWS5j_rnw

Thanks for what you are doing and keep up the good work! And if anyone ever needs to talk, simply message me.

Thanks,
    Mark

Krista K

I have severe ADHD, I am an active minister (Roman Catholic Priest) and I have to say that between building plastic model kits and LEGO, it helps so much to center my mind and nerves. I really like this article, which shows the importance on the psyche of play, especially as an adult.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-science-power.html?fbclid=IwAR1EzwE1ZzYQr2TGGbreL670jcExzBMkD9G3mAYhny1P6BcDHMgWS5j_rnw

Thanks for what you are doing and keep up the good work! And if anyone ever needs to talk, simply message me.

Thanks,
    Mark

@avalanchepgh
    That was a very interesting read. I hadn’t read one from that perspective before. There are a lot out there on LEGO and stress reduction. I’m not sure if you are familiar, but LEGO ran a campaign (I think it was Indiegogo) for a technic set that was meant to be a showpiece and serve the very purpose mentioned in your article.

I use building for the same reason you do. I found it extremely beneficial when I was going through cancer treatment years ago and just stuck with as a meditative practice. I still build just for fun too. ?

What Parish are you with?

Krista K

Thanks,
    Mark

@avalanchepgh
    That was a very interesting article. I appreciate that the perspective was different from a lot of the other articles I’ve read about using LEGO for stress management. Thanks for sharing! Have you seen the LEGO Forma set that was designed to be a showcase piece, as well as aimed for adult play/stress management?

I also find building and sorting a way to quiet my mind. It’s almost meditative. When I was going through cancer treatment a few years ago, it was extremely helpful.

By the way, what Parish are you with?

Krista K

@avalanchepgh
    Thanks for sharing that article. I’ve read quite a few that focus really on the benefits of LEGO specifically for stress management, but I really appreciate the scientific perspective.

As an aside, have you seen the LEGO Forma set? I believe it was on Indiegogo a few years ago. It’s the forerunner to the “adult” sets that are out now, which are designed to be a show piece as well as a fun build.

I can really relate to using LEGO to calm. While I still like to build for fun, I do find it very meditative too.

BTW, what Parish are you with?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Spoiler alert! There is a plot twist at the end of this article: “”My wife and I have a have a weekly ritual now on Sundays. While we’re putting a jigsaw puzzle together—usually 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle—we’re listening to music and allowing it to bring us to our sadness, and our feelings come back,” he says.

sadness? I guess it is because they are doing a puzzle instead of building with LEGO.

Avalanchepgh
    Participant

I’m at St Paul and St Bruno in Greensburg. Dio of Greensburg.

I’m unaware of the forma set.

Thanks!

-Mark

Krista K

Oh nice. I’m not very familiar with the Greensburg area personally, but nice to have you here! 🙂

Here’s the campaign from a while ago, but it’s got some neat info on it. I think that the connectors were custom on this set. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lego-forma-add-a-splash-of-creativity-to-your-day#/

Avalanchepgh
    Participant

Oh nice. I’m not very familiar with the Greensburg area personally, but nice to have you here! ?

Here’s the campaign from a while ago, but it’s got some neat info on it. I think that the connectors were custom on this set. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lego-forma-add-a-splash-of-creativity-to-your-day#/

very cool! I’m currently working on the technic bugatti, paying close attention to all the gear placements and what not.

Thanks.

Avalanchepgh
    Participant

Oh nice. I’m not very familiar with the Greensburg area personally, but nice to have you here! ?

very cool! I’m currently working on the technic bugatti, paying close attention to all the gear placements and what not.

Thanks.

Krista K

My two LEGO classes just wrapped this week and they were both very successful. I’d like to introduce a few students who are new to the LUG: @kbrinser, @doug-legomaniac, and @timrowedavis, as well as a familiar face: @jenjer. (Kaitlin, Doug, and Tim, feel free to say hi here, but also post in Introductions)

Both courses been picked up again for spring. There’s been a request to have another class that further builds on Studio (pun intended) so I’m starting to work on that too. If you have any suggestions on what should be included on a second-level Studio course, let me know.

Avalanchepgh
    Participant

Welcome new folks!

Doug
    Participant

Thanks Krista for a great class, and for welcoming me to the LUG 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar