Hello from the brick castle

Home Forums Introductions Hello from the brick castle

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joseph G
    Participant

Hello!

My name’s Joseph, I’ve been a LEGO fan for many years, though I recently got back into things after discovering the Ross Park Mall LEGO Store a few years ago. I also took Krista’s LEGO Mindfulness class through CCAC, and appreciated it.

I finally joined this site for a couple of reasons. I’m at the mall almost weekly so I’m happy to contribute photos of the brick wall from when I’m there. I’m also looking to trade or potentially sell some LEGO sets and figure it’d make sense to try locally.

Looking forward to meeting you all at some point!

Joseph

Krista K

Hi @castlesonly! Welcome to the group. So glad you joined. 🙂

Tim

Welcome, Joseph. Glad you have joined.

There is a BUY/SELL/TRADE forum where you can post any sets for sale. We’ve got a decent sized group here so often transactions can be made “locally” as you said. 🙂

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Welcome Joseph. Your userid suggests that you also build castles, do you have any projects you can tell us about or share photos of? Have you seen our 2014 castle display?

Fizz, Boom, Read

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Sweet, I look forward to any PaB Wall photos that you send, thanks! To date, nobody else has submitted PaB wall photos, except I think maybe Josh, one time; therefore, I don’t have any protocol in place for how to handle them. For now, the easiest thing to do would be to email me the photos directly, at bengood921@yahoo.com.

If you send me any photos, I’ll need you to do some things:
    – Include the date you took the photos.
    – Resize all photos to 2500 pixels wide. Any aspect ratio is okay. I don’t wanna deal with larger photos than that though, they’re unnecessary given current screen resolutions and slow things down.
    – Name the .jpgs so that I know what container each pic is. The ‘About’ section of the Flickr account explains the container naming system, it’s very easy.
    – My phone struggles mightily with the lighting in the store, and despite my best efforts, it’s often very difficult to tell the actual color of the parts being displayed; as a result, I have started including the color names in the photo description for every bin. If your camera has similar problems, you’ll need to find a way to clarify any uncertain colors for me.
    – I take an overall ‘wall from the left’ and ‘wall from the right’ pic every time I go. I don’t know if they matter much, but they always get as many views as the rest of the photos, so I’m still including them. I usually go in the middle of the afternoon during the week when it’s unlikely to be crowded. I also usually go on a Friday, because, unless things have changed, the most common day for them to get new parts in is Thursday.

When I upload new photos, I only replace the ones that have changed (plus the two wide shots); updating bins where the parts are the same just to keep track of the level of parts in the bin is an exercise in futility. For a long time, I did this thing where I brought up the Flickr account on my phone while I was at the wall, and then went through the bins comparing to the photos, and only took pics of the ones that had changed, and then sorted through it when I got home. This was supposed to be saving me time – I wasn’t taking photos of any bins that hadn’t changed – but I eventually (only recently, unfortunately) figured out that this is not the most efficient way to do it: it’s easier to just plow through and take a pic of every bin as fast as I can. Then I can sort through what’s changed and what’s not when I get home. And so my advice to you or anybody else taking the photos is that you should do it this way.

Hopefully all that typing on my part is not deterring you. If you haven’t found the current album on Flickr, the link is below. The thread about updates for the wall is called Pick a Brick Wall, I usually have to do a search for it.

Wall from the left

Joseph G
    Participant

I’m mostly a follow-the-instructions type guy but I’ve started on my first real attempt at a MOC in my spare time. Hopefully will have something to share soon!

I hadn’t seen that display, there are some interesting pieces there I haven’t seen before.

Welcome Joseph. Your userid suggests that you also build castles, do you have any projects you can tell us about or share photos of? Have you seen our 2014 castle display?

Fizz, Boom, Read<script async=”” src=”https://embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js&#8221; charset=”utf-8″></script>

Joseph G
    Participant

(Trying again, for some reason my reply didn’t go through before).

That’s a cool photo album, some of the pieces I’m not familiar with.

I don’t have any real MOCs yet, I started working on one but tore it down to rethink it. Hopefully I’ll have something to show soon!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar