LEGO collector wanted for scout presentation

Home Forums LUG discussions LEGO collector wanted for scout presentation

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Got this mail in the other day:

Hi- we are a Pgh Airport area cub scout group who has an achivement in ur book relating to collectibles and hobbies. I went over my baseball cards with them last year, but know that the 12 kids in our den would greatly enjoy a presentation/show and tell with a big league lego collector. Anyone ever do such presentataions? Our meeting are 6:00 on Mondays just off of exit 7 (Clinton) of the parkway

THanks for getting back to me. One of their requirements as A Wolf Scout is to learn about collections and collecting, so Legos is something I think they would find very interesting. They are 2nd graders, 7 and 8 year olds. 12 total kids in the group and they are a group of nice and well behaved kids for the most part.

I would be there as the den leader as well to help facilitate, lead the meeting, and keep the kids in line. I have a couple of the books from my son on the history of the mini-figure and history of legos overall I can use to help supplement as a co-presenter, but really think it would be cool to have them get to see and talk to a “Lego Expert” so to speak.

I would think something like this would be really fun, but we can have it open in terms of content if other ideas.

DATES AND TIMES:
    Monday 11/18, Monday 12/2, or Monday 12/9 are 3 avaialble dates 7:00-8:00PM at Clinton Presby Church, right off of Parkway Clinton exit, just past the Pgh airport.
    After the first of the year would work also, but these dates would be good short term fits for us.

(1) Collection of Minifigures to show and talk about
    – How is a mini-figure special? Why are they so collectable?
    – What are some fun facts or unique things about some of the figures in the collection?
    (“hands off” part for kids)

(2) A sealed Lego set or sets from days gone by
    – How is it different than what they see today
    – How legos were different when you were a kid? How are they still the same?
    – What makes them unqiue as a toy that allows you to enjoy them your entire life?

(3) A fun “building session”
    I have a bunch of free bricks we can bring fromj my kids collections as well as the”Creationary” kids
    – Maybe a quick demo on “free, open ended building” from the misc free bricks, where ideas are given on how to do some neat things with free building? I know my son does the sets all the time but then they get mixed in with all of our others and ends up free building more than anything.
    – Play Creationary with us, with the demonstrator building first some cool designs from our bricks and helping the kid you gets the card for ideas on how to build it better.

anyone interested in sharing their hobby?

Tim

This is the same age group that I am a Den Leader for here in Cranberry. I have been pondering doing a Lego activity (perhaps the bridge building exercise) at a den meeting. Perhaps we could “invite” them to the Trolly Museum and do an activity with them there?

Josh
    Keymaster

not a bad thought but 1) the trolley museum is pretty far from where they meet and 2) the trolley museum is closed during that time.

Tim

not a bad thought but 1) the trolley museum is pretty far from where they meet and 2) the trolley museum is closed during that time.

I was thinking that we could invite them to the Trolly Museum at some point during the hours we are displaying there. While they are there, we can do an activity with them. That way, they get their activity complete towards their Wolf badge and a field trip to the Trolly Museum to boot.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Interesting…

[#subscribingtothreadwithuselesscomment]

Josh
    Keymaster

in case it makes a difference, as a reminder, you’d get 1.5 PaB cups, since you’d take something to display as well as “staff” it.

Josh
    Keymaster

I was thinking that we could invite them to the Trolly Museum at some point during the hours we are displaying there. While they are there, we can do an activity with them. That way, they get their activity complete towards their Wolf badge and a field trip to the Trolly Museum to boot.

ah, not a bad idea. Certainly more work on their part to coordinate getting kids down there, but I can mention it to him.

Tim

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tim wrote:</div>

ah, not a bad idea. Certainly more work on their part to coordinate getting kids down there, but I can mention it to him.

Considering it would likely take any of us 45-60 minutes to get out to Center, I don’t think it is that much further for them. I’m not necessarily opposed to going to them. I figured if we could do several things at once, it would be easier for us. If we decided to go to them, I would not do so until after the new year.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Our meeting are 6:00 on Mondays just off of exit 7 (Clinton) of the parkway

Considering it would likely take any of us 45-60 minutes to get out to Center,

Clinton and Center are two different places. [aside: They renumbered the Parkway exits by milepost, so Exit 7 no longer exists, but if it did, it’d be way up past Newcastle.] But Clinton, PA seems to be one exit past the airport – not *too* bad to drive. Center is irrelevant since they’re in Clinton, but a little further North up the Parkway, past Aliquippa and just before Beaver.

I’d consider doing an event for them, though Mondays aren’t ideal (and I definitely couldn’t do 12/9). So, if we don’t make arrangements for an event at the Trolley Museum, I’ll think that over some more.

Another side note: do any of us have sealed sets from the good ol’ days? (per request #2 in the e-mail…)

Tim

Clinton and Center are two different places. [aside: They renumbered the Parkway exits by milepost, so Exit 7 no longer exists, but if it did, it’d be way up past Newcastle.] But Clinton, PA seems to be one exit past the airport – not *too* bad to drive. Center is irrelevant since they’re in Clinton, but a little further North up the Parkway, past Aliquippa and just before Beaver.

I’d consider doing an event for them, though Mondays aren’t ideal (and I definitely couldn’t do 12/9). So, if we don’t make arrangements for an event at the Trolley Museum, I’ll think that over some more.

Another side note: do any of us have sealed sets from the good ol’ days? (per request #2 in the e-mail…)

Thanks, I was thinking Center way up beyond the airport. But it still takes me at least 45 minutes to get to the airport.

I have a few sealed sets from early 2000’s but nothing from the 70’s or 80’s. I do have a 555 Hospital Set in box (not sealed). So we could definitely show off a few interesting sets.

Dan
    Participant

Although I have no sealed boxes, I have a few late 80’s and early 90’s sets with box + insets.

This is almost exactly what we did at the Mensa Regional Gathering.

I may be able to pull it off. I’ve got a friend who works in the city/lives in Moon who could probably get me there. Let me talk with him and we can go from there.

Josh
    Keymaster

yeah, Dan, you were my first thought here too. let me know what you think when you know. I’ll still pose the trolley idea to him.

Dan
    Participant

I’m on call the 9th, but I should be able to trade for that. Once I nail down the ride I should be good. (Just wanted to let you know I’m still working on this)

Josh
    Keymaster

let me know as soon as you can confirm – I’ll have to make sure they’re still good.

Josh
    Keymaster

…this never happened, did it?

Laura
    Participant

…this never happened, did it?

I don’t think it did >_>

I’m sorry I didn’t see this idea when it was first brought up otherwise I would have responded. I realize that this was brought up prior to the Christmas display taking place so it may be irrelevant now, but I did want to put another idea forward.

Prior to being part of the LUG, I set up a small display at the museum using just my LEGOs for the weekend of “Trolley Fair” in June (28-29 this year). If the boy scouts were still interested in this, I would be happy to help out and leave the display up for them to plan a day to come see it. The Museum is open 7 days a week in the summer so they would be able to come down any weekday if they wanted.

As far as collection stuff I myself have a few unopened sets from the early 80s (my Mom found them at a yard sale), boxes for sets from the 90s and 2000s, LEGO catalogs and club magazines from the 90s and 2000s and my collection of instruction manuals for every set I have ever purchased.

Also, just as a heads up for anyone who might be interested. The Trolley Museum holds a Boy Scout Merit Badge workshop in the spring and fall, the next one is on May 3rd. Participants earn both the electricity and railroading badges. We also did a Girl Scout workshop in September, not sure if that’s on again for this year or not.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by Laura.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by Laura.
    Dan
    Participant

I don’t know of this happening. Getting out to Moon was not feasible for me at the time. I’m not sure why I didn’t post that update.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar