Lifetime Lego fanatic new to LUG, build-o-holic and proud!

Home Forums Introductions Lifetime Lego fanatic new to LUG, build-o-holic and proud!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Deanna Russo
    Participant

Hello all!
    I am a serious Lego collector and my daughter is a collector in training. We have been organizing our massive collection since early October 2013, and it is still an ongoing project. We have well over 100 sets, hundreds of minifigs, boxes and manuals for 90% of our collection. I used to have my entire childhood collection until about twelve years ago, when a sudden move resulted in the relocation of my collection to a building that later suffered major damage in a hurricane. I vow to replace those sets some day. We do have a good chunk of older Lego that were handed down to our son from a relative, including Classic Space, some Castle, and Octan Racing stuff. We also have a set from the 60s called Wheel Toy including a very beat up box and instructions that are, well… on the bottom of the grading scale LOL!
    My basement is turning into my own Lego Land, and the kiddos flock to it and request me to build MOC for them to play with. We have been to Lego Land Florida (yeah!) and wish there was one here. Like I said, we have been organizing Lego for months and now our collection is very usable. Our parts inventory is in hundreds of containers and drawers, parts can be pulled very fast which makes creating a breeze! I love making MOC stuff, and using Lego in very creative ways. I wish there was a job in editing Lego instructions, as I always find errors or find that the order in which things are built by the instructions could be improved.
    I have started using Brickset to catalog our collection, and it says (for the sets it has info for) we have over 20,000 pieces and 200 minifigs, not including the older stuff we have.
    The bottom line is we LOVE Lego, and I am the keeper of the family collection. I am a 35 year old mother with two awesome children. Lego 4 Life!!! Glad to find this group! Go Steelers! Yinz know. 😉

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Welcome, Deanna! Sounds like you’re ahead of many of us with your sorting effort… it’s daunting when the collection is large…

Deanna Russo
    Participant

Yes it is very daunting to sort so much. It started out as a very basic sort, then each group was split up into more groups and so on. Each pay day I buy a couple more containers or drawer units. Today they had little Sterilite drawers on clearance at Dollar General, so the weird and wing shaped plates are now out of their baggies and into the drawers! This has literally been going on for months. Today also, all the manuals (except for Exo Force) went into clear pages and filled two large 3-ring binders. A work in progress, need to get pics of it all. This link is what I followed to start sorting our collection. We lock stacks of anything similar. Very handy if you drop a bin, instead of picking up and re-sorting a bunch of elements it is quite easy to pick up chunks. http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2008/how-to-organize-your-lego-bricks-for-efficient-building/

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Deanna Russo.
    Tim

Welcome, you have found us at a wonderful time. The LUG has a full slate of events right now. Check out the forum threads and feel free to jump in with anything that is of interest. Sorting is always a good topic for discussion as there are as many different ways to sort Lego as there are AFOLs. 🙂

Josh
    Keymaster

welcome!

thought this was appropriate:

Sorting, anyone?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar