Lighting Source for MOCs

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Lighting Source for MOCs

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tim

For several years now, I have been searching for a good way to provide inexpensive lighting for MOCs (particularly buildings). I have played around with Christmas lights but have found them to be way too bulky. All of my forays into hobby shops for LED lights have been fruitless. So yesterday, I was at Wal-Mart picking up a few things when I noticed that they had started to set up their Christmas items. I wandered over to look at lights and found a product called “LED teeny lights” in a string of either 18 or 30 count. Looking at them, they appeared to be small enough to fit inside Lego bricks and they run off a battery box (3 C batteries) so I immediately added a box to my cart. The 30 count string was about $7.

Today, I had some time over lunch to get these out and play around with them. Each individual LED light is fairly bright and they burn cool. They will fit inside, but not through, a 1×1 round, a technic brick hole, and a technic plate hole. They will also not fit inside the center hole of a 2×2 round brick. The connecting wires are pretty small also and could be fairly easily built around. While not perfect (if only they actually fit through a technic hole), I think they will work very nicely in my buildings and I plan to incorporate several strings of these into my Christmas Display MOCs. This is the best light solution that I have come across to date. I encourage everyone who has an interest in lighting to check these out as well. I could definitely see them working in many different types of MOCs, for example Evan’s SHIP.

Here are a few pictures. First, the package itself unopened. Next, out of the package, Third is the string lit up. Last is seven of the LEDs inside 7 trans 1×1 rounds mounted on a 2×8 technic plate (colors from left to right – clear, trans antifreeze, trans yellow, trans light blue, trans green, trans red, trans blue).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

oh, wow. those look amazing in the 1×1 rounds. CHRISTMAS LIGHTS – GO!

I have these plastic cases that my rechargeable AA batteries fit into to make them the size of a C battery.

great find!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Excellent find, Tim!

“Fortune favors the prepared mind.”
    Louis Pasteur

Rich Millich
    Participant

How long did you leave those lights on for?

Tim

How long did you leave those lights on for?

I only ran them for about five minutes. Before I buy any more, I plan to run them for a few hours to make sure they do not heat up. I’ll probably run that test this weekend.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

they appeared to be small enough to fit inside Lego bricks and they run off a battery box (3 C batteries)

Are these 3V lights? Do you think we could power the lights from a 9V train transformer?

Tim

Rich – I ran the lights for an hour last night. They were as cool to the touch after an hour as when I first turned them on. So I do not have any concern that they would negatively affect (i.e. melt) and pieces.

Greg – They are 4.5 volt. I do not know how they could be connected to a Lego 9v transforner.

Rich Millich
    Participant

The skeptic in me asks: “I wonder if long term running of the lights within the 1 x 1 rounds might affect the clutch, if not affecting the pieces in more obvious ways?”

Tim

It’s possible. But these lights do not appear to burn with any appreciable heat. So my gut tells me that they will not affect the Lego pieces in any way.

Laura
    Participant

Greg – They are 4.5 volt. I do not know how they could be connected to a Lego 9v transformer.

You might be able to run two strings in series off a 9v Transformer.

Josh
    Keymaster

did you say how much they were?

I found something similar at michael’s for $5.99 and picked it up. looks like it runs off 2 C batteries. Michael’s is good for those 40% off coupons though…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

… a product called “LED teeny lights” in a string of either 18 or 30 count. Looking at them, they appeared to be small enough to fit inside Lego bricks and they run off a battery box (3 C batteries) so I immediately added a box to my cart. The 30 count string was about $7.

I am considering putting the lights on the white castle inside trans red and trans green 1×1 round bricks. Will that jive with the plans for Santa’s factory?

Tim

did you say how much they were?

Around $7 for the string of 30.

I am considering putting the lights on the white castle inside trans red and trans green 1×1 round bricks. Will that jive with the plans for Santa’s factory?

That sounds great. I’m working on constructing and lighting the Santa Admin building right now. I pretty sure I have figured out a workable plan for the ceiling lights on each floor. I’m not sure yet if I will get another string and light the factory or not. It will be pretty open anyways (for people to see into) so I don’t think light will be a problem (although more light certainly would not hurt).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar