Pittsburgh Newbie

Home Forums Introductions Pittsburgh Newbie

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Logan C
    Participant

Hey everyone! My name is Logan and I am 18 years old. I just moved here as a student at Pitt, so I’m a little new to the general area of Pittsburgh and its traditions (if anyone knows the best places to eat, let me know).

I’ve been a huge fan of LEGO for as long as I can remember, mostly as a MOC builder, but also as a consumer of sets. I primarily build Transformers and other sci-fi robots, but I’ll also make stuff from whatever movie, show, or game catches my interest (I’ve recently been on a Kingdom Hearts craze). It’s hard for me to pick a favorite LEGO theme as I’m nostalgic for so many of the great 2009-era themes such as Power Miners, Agents, Space Police III, Indiana Jones, and Clone Wars. Nowadays, I only really buy sets from Marvel Superheroes and save the rest of the LEGO budget for Bricklink orders.

I used to live next to Brickfair VA, but outside of that I’ve only been involved in online LEGO communities, so I can’t wait to meet other AFOLs who actually live near me! Hope to talk to you all soon!

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Hello Logan, and welcome. Did you go to BFVA as a registered exhibitor, or as a member of the public? If it’s the former, I might recognize you, I’ve been to the last ten.

Logan C
    Participant

I’ve been an exhibitor at BFVA every year since 2015 and attended as a member of the public for a few years before that. I always bring a sampling of my Transformer MOCs, and the last few years I’ve brought my Scout crew along (at the table with the big green banner).

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

(if anyone knows the best places to eat, let me know)

Hey, Logan! Depends what kind of food you like (and your budget), but I know a few places in and near Oakland…

The stereotypical answer is Primanti’s, and it is fairly unique, but not necessarily the best meal imho – kind of a gimmick. Sandwiches are good, I just don’t think it’s fair to make that the face of our city’s cuisine!

Just to get you started: Caliente is great pizza, as is Spak Bros. If you like Thai, there are a few, including Smiling Banana Leaf in Highland Park. Baby Loves Tacos in Bloomfield is a fantastic local small business (and priced like Chipotle, too.) I get sad if I’m not there once a week, minimum… speaking of which, that might be dinner tomorrow!

I have other ideas, too… 😀

Tom Frost
    Participant

Welcome, Logan

Rich Millich
    Participant

Space Police III! Interesting interest. I love the figs from that series.

Transformers, eh? Are we talking replicas of G1, later series, or original characters from Cybertron?

Also, I know that M.R. Yoder did a fully transforming Vic Viper on flicker called the VF3. That build blew my mind, and so the builds you have sound really cool technically speaking.

Eventually, I want to build Mechs for my Space factions, so some of your building techniques will be great to learn and apply! I’m looking forward to seeing some of your work and becoming inspired. Looking forward to that!

Logan C
    Participant

Transformers, eh? Are we talking replicas of G1, later series, or original characters from Cybertron?

I build both characters from original G1 cartoon and original character designs. Thinking about doing some stuff from Transformers Animated soon too. I’ll post some of my work in the MOCs section when I get a chance.

And let me know if you want any advice for those mechs. I’ve spent a great deal of time familiarizing myself with the various applications of hinge/joint systems in LEGO robots, and I’d be happy to help!

Will McDine
    Participant

Welcome Logan, and best of luck in your new endeavors at Pitt! My mother-in-law is a biology professor there and has been telling us about all the things going on with the semester. Best of luck to you in the school year and welcome to the LUG

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I found a couple photos that I got at Brickfair 2017. Are these yours?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

That cool yellow and lavender pops.

Logan C
    Participant

I found a couple photos that I got at Brickfair 2017. Are these yours?

Oh no, I don’t have nearly that many Transformers. That’s my buddy Jermaine’s display (from LEGO Masters). There are quite a few LEGO Transformer builders that go to Brickfair VA.

Dan
    Participant

Welcome, Logan! I saw your Transformers on the other thread – very cool!

Oakland had some good food:
    * Romano’s Pizza on Atwood is my favorite
    * Sichuan Gourmet (both Oakland and Squirrel Hill) offers authentic Chinese (shredded beef w/ hot pepper and three pepper chicken are delicious)
    * Chengdu Gourmet in Squirrel Hill (quick bus ride) if you like really spicy Chinese
    * All India on Craig is the best Indian buffet, Prince on Fifth is (or was) cheap, and Tamarind on Craig is the best Indian food in Oakland
    * Stack’d or Union Grill probably offer the best burgers in Oakland, though to be honest I have a huge soft spot for Five Guys
    * Fuel and Fuddle is good bar food

Squirrel Hill and Shadyside are in long walk/short bus ride distance of the Pitt campus and offer even more options.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m a big fan of Uncle Sam’s and Mad Mex, both of which used to have locations in Oakland, but I’m pretty sure neither of which do anymore.

Josh
    Keymaster

This is me creeping on Logan to find his intro thread. I’m totally that guy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar