2016 Q3 build challenge – derby cars

Home Forums MOCs Build challenges! 2016 Q3 build challenge – derby cars

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

I announced this at the Q2 meeting, but forgot to post a thread about it.

We’ll bust out the track. Bring you car already built. We’ll set up a bracket style race for the fastest car, double elimination. If someone wants to step and and do the voting/refereeing, that’d be swell.

Must use only LEGO elements (I shouldn’t have to remind you of your oath)
    Any wheels, or parts as wheels, that you’d like.
    no wider than 10 studs (includes wheels). Inner width between wheels must be 6 studs.
    No longer than 20 studs.

A second award for ‘most well designed’ will be assessed. Again, anyone is welcome to step up and judge/define that.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’d like to say I’ll build one. But not until after I finish building (or not) for BFVA. So… if I fail to build, maybe I can judge. We’ll see how things shape up. 😛

David H Donley
    Participant

I will judge.

Tim

Inner width between wheels must be 6 studs.

I propose that this be changed to “5 or 6”. At Cranberry Days, I noticed that 5 studs actually fits the best and tends to lessen the side to side shimmy as a car travels down the track. Plus 5 wide can be more of a building challenge.

Also, is there a weight limit?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I propose that this be changed to “5 or 6”. At Cranberry Days, I noticed that 5 studs actually fits the best and tends to lessen the side to side shimmy as a car travels down the track. Plus 5 wide can be more of a building challenge.

2×5 bricks with axles on both ends are pretty rare… sounds like we designed/built our track poorly.

I think the width and length requirements are restriction enough. I’ma go #buyalltheBoatsThatReallyFloatWeightBricks on Bricklink right now!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

for cubscouts, that all start with the same kind of wheels and the same block of wood, weight is a big factor in how well a car does

Josh
    Keymaster

according to @solscud007 ‘s rigid environment controlled experiments at the children’s festival, he believes weight isn’t as much of a factor on our track with LEGO. No weight limit. I will repeat myself and say it’s double elimination though…meaning, your car needs to be able to go down the track, at least twice…there may be a mandated stop (read: hard stop into a wall). Just sayin’

Tim

No weight limit. I will repeat myself and say it’s double elimination though…meaning, your car needs to be able to go down the track, at least twice…there may be a mandated stop (read: hard stop into a wall). Just sayin’

Is 5 wide allowed? And does this mean that the car has to stay “together” or will repairs be allowed between the heats? :-p I’ll volunteer to run the bracket. I love double-elimination tournaments.

Josh
    Keymaster

@lunch36 – you have an opinion? If not, I’d say if it falls off the track with 5 studs wide, your loss. i’d say no “special time accommodations will be made for rebuilding.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Does anyone know the exact height of the center guide of the track lanes? Is it 1/4 inch plywood?

Nick Chen
    Participant

@tfdesigns if you recall at Cranberry, Tim took the wheels and axles and turned the axles sideways so the studs faced forwards. The wheels did touch the track and cleared the center riser. However the clearance is very low. Since the track has some bumps especially where the track sections join, it is highly likely that the low clearance will snag on something. Use that as your height.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Thanks, @solscud007, that is helpful; I don’t think I saw that studs-forward car. Did your test car run okay? My design uses a similar sized wheel part

Nick Chen
    Participant

Yep it ran fine. Just think of keeping your car robust so it doesn’t destroy it self at the end of the track.

@JoshHall
    at Cranberry Twp I used pipe insulation and a styrofoam bumper to protect the cars. Can we use those for the challenge? Or make the members build a car that can survive hitting a plywood wall? I’m good with either way.

David H Donley
    Participant

Only Lego elements.

Tom Frost
    Participant

at Cranberry Twp I used pipe insulation and a styrofoam bumper to protect the cars.

Only Lego elements.

The styrofoam, etc, was at the end of the track to catch the cars, not a part of the cars 🙂

David H Donley
    Participant

I am building a wall of nails that will act as the stopper. Let the demolition derby begin!

Hannah Dow
    Participant

I am building a wall of nails that will act as the stopper. Let the demolition derby begin!

#ruthless

Rich Millich
    Participant

Would a car based upon this wheelbase be accepted?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Will McDine
    Participant

if We are doing 5 wide as well I have an entry. All of my cars and trucks (except for my fire apparatus) are 5 wide.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Would a car based upon this wheelbase be accepted

It wouldn’t work, Rich. That car is both too narrow and too low. The center guide riser of each lane of the derby track is approx 1.5″ wide and 1/4″ high. The cars need at least 5 studs (per Tim) or 6 studs (per Josh) between the wheels.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Here is the axle setup that the LUG uses when kids are building derby cars. It is certainly not the only solution, but gives you an idea of what fits. A longer wheelbase tends to be more stable than a shorter one.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

I remember this now from the Children’s Festival.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Don’t forget to build cars, eh? We’re 11 days out from the Q3 meeting!

Micah Beideman
    Participant

can we use any Lego wheels (as long as they fit on the track of course)?

scratch that just read the description lol.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar