A case for Set 41949: DOTS Bag Tag Mega Pack [LETTER TILES!]

Home Forums All Things LEGO! A case for Set 41949: DOTS Bag Tag Mega Pack [LETTER TILES!]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rich Millich
    Participant

Here’s my appeal for this set, so much so I’m buying two more:

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=41949-1

Here is the research on the DOTS set I bought. The 1×1 round letter tiles are printed well. There is some vertical variance, but only noticeable on close inspection. The letters are tricky to get perfectly aligned, precisely because they are tiles are round.

But, for the same reason, lend themselves VERY well to arched arrangements of letters and marquee signs, because they can be turned to orient themselves in arched or turning patterns, including corners. Flexibility here for differing City/Town signage styles.

4 of each vowel except U and Y. 2 of most consonants. 4 of LMNRST. A much more English based assortment instead of Dutch. +10 1×1 round tiles with random symbols with the possibility for multiples.

W is a straight legged upside down M. Z is not a rotated N, but unique.
    S, H and X orientation DO matter, but N, I and O do not.
    There are no numerals in this set.

These sets are $30 each. By its nature, nearly 100% MOCable. Not too shabby indeed. 3 of these sets should cover a line of building storefront signs, and keep it subtle and consistent, for example, as some suburban plaza owners demand.

The printed DOTS 1×1 symbols and/or tile built corporate logos/printed tiles would fit right in.

The set comes with sorting bin and a key shaped part specifically designed to pop off the tiles. Includes pastel tag shaped parts and 3 lockable rings for bags if you want to do that: 2 in lavender, 1 in orange. The tags are 2x medium azure and 1x coral in 3×8, two in cool yellow in 3×6. All tags have a half stud rim around them so the tiles won’t pop off, because they can’t be nudged underneath past the protective rim. Added bonus.

There are 10 colors of 1×1 tiles. Each color has 5x of a 1×1 with curved end, 11x 1×1 quarter tile, and 2x standard 1×1 tile. Five are in pastel colors of pink, dark pink, coral, medium azure and lime. Five of these colors are standard colors: red, orange, yellow, blue and purple.

There are 6 1×1 tiles with a translucent diamond shaped cap that’s taller than a standard tile and some 1×1 transparent round tiles, including 6 1×1 rounds in trans-pink and satin trans-light blue. 9 fluorescent trans-bright green 1×1 corner curves.

The letter tiles are going to skyrocket on BrickLink. Best to get them off the rack. Previous letter tiles from the Business Card set have skyrocketed into the $1-$2 each, especially for vowels.

If you’re looking for a large scale lettering system for your City/Town, this is it. 3 sets for $90 can cover a lot of signage across multiple buildings if the letters are parsed out cleverly.

Get this lettering system now before the scammers jack up individual letters past reasonability.

I know I am.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

A much more English based assortment instead of Dutch.

Listen, Rich, if you ain’t Dutch, you ain’t much…

The letter tiles are going to skyrocket on BrickLink. Best to get them off the rack. Previous letter tiles from the Business Card set have skyrocketed into the $1-$2 each, especially for vowels.

This is true. If I’d invested all my money into Business Card sets years ago, I’d be retired by now. I’ve had people pay tens of dollars for international shipping of just a few of these tiles…

Renée
    Participant

I picked up the 41938 DOTS Designer today. Same set of letter tiles, but for 10 more bucks I got 849 pieces instead of 228. I especially liked that white and black came in all four shapes (square, round, quarter round and dental). Other DOTS colors are light aqua, lavender, bright light yellow, bright pink, blue, yellow and red and only in square and quarter round. Sadly no translucents.

I will probably get at least one more DOTS set with letters, either 71949 Bag Tags or 41962 Unicorn Creative Family Pack (707 Pieces). The Unicorn pack’s letter distribution is different, three of each letter.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up on 41938.

I need to boost my 1×1 tile options in black.

Will McDine
    Participant

I didnt even notice the creative designer box. DOTS is just one of those themes that I seem to walk past anymore. I have no need for bracelets that dont fit around my wrist. Now I think I need to stop and take a harder look. I have also seen on the Interwebs that there is going to be a few DOTS sets themed to Disney. Those should be interesting

Joseph G
    Participant

FWIW the letter sets are now (or I recently noticed they are now) available as element 6337918/77486 “FLAT TILE 1X1, ROUND, NO. 169” for the combo of 36 letters for $1.09 at Lego Pick a Brick online. I ordered a bunch!

Renée
    Participant

FWIW the letter sets are now (or I recently noticed they are now) available as element 6337918/77486 “FLAT TILE 1X1, ROUND, NO. 169” for the combo of 36 letters for $1.09 at Lego Pick a Brick online. I ordered a bunch!

Sweet! Thanks, @castlesonly!

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

How many letter packs are enough? 10? 20? Asking for a friend.

Dan Efran
    Participant

How many letter packs are enough? 10? 20? Asking for a friend.

Well, $1.09 for 36 letters is about 3 cents per part, but PaB-online shipping is $7, bringing it up to about 22 cents per part.

So just for that reason you’re going to want multiples, before you even start to consider what you might want to spell. In fact it might be worth considering a group order?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar