BrickFair Virginia

Home Forums All Things LEGO! BrickFair Virginia

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Whiteside
    Participant

I am thinking about attending to Brickfair Virginia. Is there anyone in the LUG planning on going?

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Whiteside.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m confused.

Which event are you thinking about?

Whiteside
    Participant

I’m confused.

Which event are you thinking about?

Post fixed- https://www.brickfair.com/VA/

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

OK cool, this makes more sense. Cuz Philly ain’t in Virginia… heh.

Slight chance for me, unfortunately…

Will McDine
    Participant

I would consider it. But how much does it cost to display? The ticket prices in the link appear to be for spectators, and not display

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The tickets used to be about $10 to be a spectator, unless you know a generous exhibitor who gets a “free” ticket to give away with their $50 event fee. It can be up to a five day marathon for exhibitors, but you don’t have to go for the entire time. You can bring zero MOC’s or a thousand and the cost to participate is the same. I am considering both the possibility of going to see it and going to display. Its a four hour trip each way, so its possible to do as a day trip and not add the additional expense of staying in a hotel.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Its a four hour trip each way, so its possible to do as a day trip and not add the additional expense of staying in a hotel.

Greg, you’re a unique individual. The very thought of 8 hours in the car on the same day as I tried to enjoy an event is causing me to cringe, even if the motivation is to save money. Guess I’m just too old and crotchety… more power to you if you go that route!

Josh
    Keymaster

Greg, you’re a unique individual./quote]

That’s why we love him.

Yeah, practically, you’d have to have a very fuel efficient car, because you’re probably spending ~$80 in gas each day. and you’d want to have a car big enough to carry some cool mocs. I think that’s where carpooling/room sharing would win the day though. I’d sooner sleep on someone’s floor in a hotel for $40 a night than spend $80 to be away from convention time and activities.

I actually just found out that I won’t have dad duties that week since they’ll be on vacation with their mom…I’m probably at 60% likely, with increasing likelihood if someone does all the logistics for me 😀

Josh
    Keymaster

I would consider it. But how much does it cost to display? The ticket prices in the link appear to be for spectators, and not display

Full Weekend:
    (Pay by 7/15/19
    and save $20)

https://www.brickfair.com/News/

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

https://www.brickfair.com/VA/FAQ/AFOL/

I plan to be there. Rachel was there for all of ’17 but had to leave early last year, and we haven’t yet discussed this year.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

That’s why we love him.

Oh, most definitely!

Yeah, practically, you’d have to have a very fuel efficient car, because you’re probably spending ~$80 in gas each day. and you’d want to have a car big enough to carry some cool mocs. I think that’s where carpooling/room sharing would win the day though. I’d sooner sleep on someone’s floor in a hotel for $40 a night than spend $80 to be away from convention time and activities.

I may be wrong, but I’m *pretty sure:* Greg was saying he’d drive out and back only once, spectate for the day, and be done. Not out and back from PGH several days in a row (that’s crazy talk!)

Greg Schubert
    Participant

It was bad enough driving an hour in DC traffic to and from my aunt’s house in Rockville, I’m certainly not talking about going to and from the event on consecutive days.

Tim

I plan to be there.

@bengood921
    + Impaired Speed Build. It is worth attending just for that. 😀

I may be able to go (and am interested in going) for Thursday-Sunday (I’ll likely be in Virginia earlier that week anyways and would just drive up Thursday morning).

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Tim.
    Micah Beideman
    Participant

Right now I’m planning on doing the full 2 week Lego experience, which involves going to BFVA the first week in August, and then going strait up to Toronto for Brick Assembly, which is the second week in August http://brickassembly.ca/convention.html

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> @bengood921 + Impaired Speed Build. It is worth attending just for that. ?

Ha, I was not even sure I was going to sign up for it this year, but I can’t disappoint my fans. And by “fans” I mean Tim.

>> Right now I’m planning on doing the full 2 week Lego experience, which involves going to BFVA the first week in August, and then going strait up to Toronto for Brick Assembly, which is the second week in August

This sounds like something for young people with lots of energy. BrickFairVA is one of my favorite weeks of the year, but it always ends at the right time.

I had not heard about Brick Assembly before. (I did notice that if you go to http://www.brickfete.com, it sez that they are “on hiatus”, which surely is not coincidence.) I’m guessing it’ll be a fun convention, so be sure to bring back lots of stories and photos. Besides the scheduling though, I noticed that the hotel costs are pretty brutal – even the far away hotels are way more expensive than what I’ve paid at BFVA and BFNE, where I could just walk across the parking lot to the hotel. I also don’t expect to have anything built by then other than GBC.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Yeah, the hotels are pretty expensive. A bunch of us who are going strait from BFVA got an Airbnb together to somewhat minimize the cost.

Zach Bauer
    Participant

#subscribed

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am still considering BFVA as an exhibitor but I would want to “finish” a couple MOC’s before going. The July 15 earlybird registration deadline is looming.

Josh
    Keymaster

I am still considering BFVA as an exhibitor but I would want to “finish” a couple MOC’s before going. The July 15 earlybird registration deadline is looming.

you’d show up wednesday and stay until sunday?

@timf
    , you thinking any more?

I’m thinking I’m still less than confident I go, but the idea of a ‘break’ is appealing…

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

BrickFair reserves a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn across the parking lot from the convention hall and they get a discounted rate on the rooms. But this week they sent out a notice that all the 2-bed rooms have been reserved, so it’s only king-size remaining. There’s plenty of hotels a couple minutes away on the other side of the main road, I used them for years cause they were cheaper, but eventually prices went up and the HI became the best option, and of course it’s really convenient.

Rachel is going to be there for the duration this time. Last time I talked to Tim (at LVRR), he went from ‘definitely coming’ to ‘definitely not coming’. Last year Frost and family showed up as spectators during public hours, but I think he told me their attendance is unlikely this year. The people on the fence I think we have the best chance of talking into it are Greg, Josh, and Walter.

Tim

I’m going to miss BFVA this year. Drat.

Dan
    Participant

I thought it was only the weekend til I checked this thread. I’ve got a commitment Sunday, but Weds-Sat I could potentially swing.

Will McDine
    Participant

Yeah its a no from me. Between saving for a car and paying off a disney trip I wont be able to swing it this year. Maybe next year!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

For anyone thinking about participating in Brickfair VA, tomorrow is the deadline for early registration and then the cost goes up $20. I won’t be taking MOC’s this year, but things are looking favorable for me to see the exhibits.

Todd
    Participant

Hey boys and girls………who’s going to BrickFair VA ?
    Thanks
    Todd
    Classic Plastic Bricks

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar