CONTEST: Celebrate LEGO Life

Home Forums All Things LEGO! CONTEST: Celebrate LEGO Life

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

From the LAN:

On January 31st, the LEGO Life app expanded to select countries outside of the UK, and will continue to expand either further in the months ahead. To celebrate this launch, we have created a contest celebrating LEGO Life, which invites participants to take the LEGO Life logo (picture attached) and make it their own. Participants can add different colors, model it under their favorite LEGO created theme, or customize it in another way. The top five entries/semi-finalists chosen by LEGO judges will be featured on the LEGO Life app, where app users will vote for the grand prize winner!

This grand prize winner will receive:
    – The opportunity to work with the LEGO Life team to design their own contest for younger builders on the LEGO Life app
    – Shopping spree for $400 USD on Shop.LEGO.com
    – Personalized LEGO Life Magazine cover together with an example of the new LEGO Life Magazine

The remaining semi-finalist will receive a $200 USD shopping spree on Shop.LEGO.com.

The contest is open for submissions until March 1st at 10:00 a.m. EST. More information can be found at:
    Rebrick.it/LEGOLife

• This topic was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Do you suppose this involves using the app to make the logo? Are they hoping for something made out of LEGO products? Are they just looking for a new graphic design? Hmmm.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Do you suppose this involves using the app to make the logo? Are they hoping for something made out of LEGO products? Are they just looking for a new graphic design? Hmmm.

Yeah it is a bit vague, and my first thought is that it looks a bit like a shameless promotion for an app that nobody knows about. But TBB posted about it, and it does sound like a really good idea:

LEGO Life social network aims to be a safe space for kids to share their creations [News]

I’m more interested in seeing if it actually catches on than seeing the results of the related contest. For contests, the modular building one sounds more interesting and I’m interested in seeing what people enter, even though I don’t plan to participate myself.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Prizes, tho.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Some people are going to do a mosaic of this logo using flowers, astronauts, and who knows what, but that seems too predictable. If someone does the logo with a 3D McEscher design, that might be far enough outside the box to impress people. Winning a contest like this is going to require something completely unexpected. I’m still waiting for inspiration. 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

a contest celebrating LEGO Life, which invites participants to take the LEGO Life logo

I plan to participate in this contest. Any one else interested? The deadline is March 1st.

Tom Frost
    Participant

I’m thinking about it too, but I have a lot on my Lego plate right now, so we’ll see

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’m thinking about it too, but I have a lot on my Lego plate right now, so we’ll see

I am glad to hear that Febru-rover will keep you too busy to make one that is better than mine! 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

@tfdesigns, it seems that the Rebrick LEGO.com site has contests almost every month. In fact, there is one that ends March 10th in which you can build a Batman vehicle. It seems like you’ve been honing your vehicle skills for just such an opportunity.

Attachments:
    Tom Frost
    Participant

there is one that ends March 10th in which you can build a Batman vehicle

Thanks, Greg! I am going to post my Batrover to that one.

Also, I think your Lego Life logo is very impressive. I really like the design and the details. As long as they accept the use of the pab cup lids you should do well! I will not be submitting a competing entry 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

With some minor revisions, my entry for the LEGO Life contest is basically finished. I made a building – who knew, right? Also, I’ve learned that pick-a-brick cup lids don’t count as a “LEGO Group product,” but no worries, I have that problem solved. Actually, the ruling has forced me to make it even better.

If I do a contest like this again, I will heavily consider using LEGO Digital Designer because the part colors and selection are virtually unlimited.

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Awesome build, Greg! I love the details of the 2×2 round tiles, and the window vignettes (knighthood! Penguin boy!! Chima…???)

Also, I’ve learned that pick-a-brick cup lids don’t count as a “LEGO Group product,” but no worries, I have that problem solved. Actually, the ruling has forced me to make it even better.

Wait, I’m seeing the lids still – how’d you solve the problem? And how are those antennae staying affixed?!?! Surely not… the Kragle?!?!?!?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I am impressed also (the last time I was logged in for some reason the pics weren’t showing up). I am also curious as to how you did it without the lids. And as far as I can tell, the antennae are just lying there, which means all kinds of problems if you want to move it even five feet. I’m not sure what Lego plans to do with this logo, obviously they would make digital copies, but I’m guessing they’d want to make physical copies for promotional events, and they are not going to want to deal with free-floating antennae, no matter how good they look, so the question is would they be willing to glue them.

>> Chima…???

Yes, but smart (aka shameless Lego ass-kissing), he’s included a lot of different themes but no outside IP’s – a Neo-classic-space logo would be cool and might get you blogged, but it’s not going to win you the contest. (Plus now we have some useless insight into Greg’s buying habits, he buys Friends and Chima but not Ninjago or Nexo Knights.)

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Fair point.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Update: I took out the window frames so more minifigs could be seen and I took out the illegal pick-a-brick cups. Nothing is glued, it took me an hour to place those controller levels the first time.

Attachments:
    Tim

Very, very, very cool! It’s more creative with the lids, IMHO. I’m super impressed not just with the build itself, but with the relative speed at which you cranked out such a top notch MOC.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Tim.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> I took out the window frames so more minifigs could be seen

Good call.

>> it took me an hour to place those controller levels the first time.

That sounds miserable.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I spent lots of time on other aspects of the design, so another hour was not bad. I used tweezers … it was like a long game of Operation. 🙂

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Oh man, I’d never have the patience to place those antennae.

I took out the window frames so more minifigs could be seen

Am I a jerk if I say I kinda liked it with the windows instead of wide open?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I kinda liked it with the windows instead of wide open

So did I, but I thought the minifigs were not visible enough. Some of the inspiration came from the Google building in Bakery Square.

Attachments:
    Josh
    Keymaster

woah.

killer.

can it get on the Flickr stream?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the favorable feedback. I started by looking for three big tires to make the three studs and found cup lids instead. I scaled the building dimensions to the lid diameters, ironically the lids were not permitted.

Hopefully I can make it in the top 5 based on TLG judge opinions. Then the contest winner will be decided by public voting.

Josh, I’ll try to upload images to the Flickr Feed.

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

can it get on the Flickr stream?

The Flickr thing has been solid black for a day now. 🙁

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Right now, it looks like this rule for the contest:

“- You may NOT build the LEGO logo, only the LEGO Life logo”

prevents me from being able to use my cute little controllers, probably one of the best features of my entry, so I will have to resubmit my entry without them. 🙁

Tom Frost
    Participant

prevents me from being able to use my cute little controllers

I don’t know, @greg, you might want to get an official ruling on that because the Lego Life logo does include the word “Lego” on its studs. They may just be saying don’t build the red & yellow square Lego logo.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar