CONTEST: Celebrate LEGO Life

Home Forums All Things LEGO! CONTEST: Celebrate LEGO Life

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> A random nickname generator, with no option to not select one? What the heck is the point of that?

My understanding from back when I read Lego’s press release on this, is that the app is basically Flickr for children, and that it is designed so that they can safely use it unsupervised. If they can choose their own screen name, they can unwittingly do stuff like use their full name as their userid, which is generally considered not safe. (And after I typed this I saw your edit on this post that wasn’t in the original email “Last note: maybe the random name generator is to protect kids…?”)

I still haven’t seen the app, since I don’t have a device that will install it. I thought it was a great idea when I initially read about it, but I can’t imagine that anybody in the LUG would have any use for it other than a) voting for Greg’s entry and 2) letting their own children use it.

Incidentally, I’m not as high on the castle entry as you guys are. What I’d like to see is the person who made it build an actual castle, since they clearly have skill in that area, but as a logo I’m finding it a bit bland. I happened to see the rainbow entry on Flickr some time back and I remember thinking it was a potential winner. The problem with it is that the rainbow itself is arguably too big for the logo itself and distracts from it. But it’s definitely a cool build.

Now I’m wondering how Greg’s going to spend his winnings.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

(And after I typed this I saw your edit on this post that wasn’t in the original email “Last note: maybe the random name generator is to protect kids…?”)

Was too in the original post. The edit was just adding the fourth screenshot that I’d forgotten to attach b/c I did it separately.

But “flickr for children” seems about right. Only a child could navigate that morass and maintain sanity.

Incidentally, I’m not as high on the castle entry as you guys are. What I’d like to see is the person who made it build an actual castle, since they clearly have skill in that area, but as a logo I’m finding it a bit bland.

I guess it depends on what the judges are looking for – a logo, or a creative interpretation of it. Agree, though, with most of your sentiments.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I would never have found this if not for you! Thanks!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I would never have found this if not for you! Thanks!

Yeah, that’s precisely the problem. I opened the app again just now, and I can’t even find the contest post. Can’t search for it (searching for obvious keywords like “spice of life” or “logo” returns nothing.) Only way is to click to the “Advanced Builder” hashtag page (hard to even get to that, honestly) then scroll through pages and pages of this kind of stuff (see attached.)

Feels kinda like LEGO Ideas, where kids post any random thing they build… I’m not trying to discourage kids from building MOCs, but rainbow warrior houses built by 5 year olds are not the point of LEGO Ideas – there are other venues for that. Incidentally, @worstofLEGOIdeas is the funniest thing on Twitter, at least for an AFOL…

THE GOOD NEWS IS, Greg’s still winning:

39% Greg
    16% Castle
    26% Construction
    13% Rainbow
    6% Black and White

(big push for Construction, at the expense of Castle, since yesterday’s last check… but Greg’s holding strong near 40%, w00+!)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

My prize for the LEGO Life logo competition was delivered. 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Not too shabby!

I assume you’ll be parting that out to share the wealth with those of us who braved that ludicrous app to vote for you…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I assume you’ll be parting that out to share the wealth

Yep, right after Pete parts out his modulars that are cool but take up way too much space.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

My prize for the LEGO Life logo competition was delivered. ?

Nice! Good Job!!

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar