E-mail Post Links / Login

Home Forums Site Admin E-mail Post Links / Login

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Hey, so I’ve noticed something interesting and mildly inefficient.

Let’s say I click a post link in an e-mail (like the one Susie just sent.) But I’m not logged into the site yet, so it says “you can’t see that, it’s TOP SECRET.” No biggie; I’ll just log in, right?

Well, if I click the Log In button at top left next to WordPress logo, it takes a minute to load a separate login page, but if I look to the right, there’s the UN/PWD fields, so I’ll just type in my info there and save time, right?

Except if I do that, it always takes me to the homepage, and I have to browse back to the thread.

So I started doing the top left login to see what happens… and after the login page loads, it does take me back to the thread I was trying to read – but not the specific post, just the first post (so on longer threads, I have to not just scroll down, but also click to the last page of the thread).

AND, if I click the blue “log in” link in the “Page not found: We’re sorry, but we can’t find the page that you’re looking for. Please make sure to login or register as some content is not available to unregistered members” notice that comes up, it opens a SEPARATE window to log in. And then if I refresh the original window after logging in, it stays on the thread page (and the address bar still has the specific post: http://www.steelcitylug.com/forum/topic/cmu-carnival-april-18th/#post-10795) but it focuses at the top post. Curiouser and curiouser.

This is not even close to a big deal, and I certainly don’t know enough about wobsites to fix it, but if anyone who does is ever bored, it might be interesting to look into, no?

I’m mostly just putzing around because these intricacies can be mildly interesting and I’m being unproductive in protest against the two ludicrous marathon meetings I had to sit through today…

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Making it so that the posts appear from newest to oldest instead of oldest to newest (as they do now), which was high priority anyway, would go a long way to fixing this, I think.

In the meantime, to avoid those problems, I sometimes just log in, close the tab, and then click on the link again from the original email.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

In the meantime, to avoid those problems, I sometimes just log in, close the tab, and then click on the link again from the original email.

Yea, I basically just do that most of the time. #workaround

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar