Christmas/winter display discussions

Home Forums LUG discussions Christmas/winter display discussions

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I think Matt (and myself) were envisioning the “real” Lego monorail there for awhile haha. If Santa will primarily be moving in a circle why not just build a long, clear arm, mount Santa on one end, then spin it around the center?

Yeah, Greg, that’s where the disconnect was. I was talking all along about using the monorail track & car bases, but you were talking about brick building our own track (I’m still not sure what would power Santa’s sleigh if we went that route…?)

For this go round, I’d probably say we use the existing monorail track & drive system, stack a few layers of clear onto the car bases, and then build the sleigh on top of that (might have to experiment to see how tall we can go on the cars and still maintain stability…) Long term, we could probably make your idea happen – and I’m not trying to dissuade you from taking a crack at it for this year, either – I’m just not sure I’d be able to pull it off myself, at least without substantial help from more experienced builders.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

It does not have to be a circle, I just wanted to demonstrate a closed loop. A track could wind through a town or city populated with buildings, a giant rotating arm would need a big open area. For some applications, this sort of track could prove to be cheaper and more interesting than “real” monorail. Although I agree, its not a priority, I’ll be working on it.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

COMING SOON: Santa’s toy factory.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Wow – sweet! I need to start working on some North Pole buildings. I have a few ideas about the factor buildings that I need to start working on.

Josh
    Keymaster

hahaha, you’re incorrigible.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I need to start working on some North Pole buildings. I have a few ideas about the factor buildings that I need to start working on.

Tim I sent you an message through LUGmail about my idea. I hope we are not planning the same thing.

hahaha, you’re incorrigible.

Agreed. Thanks for trying to talk me down. He offered me free registered shipping, so I could not resist, especially once I had a brainstorm. 😉

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

(Gratuitous re-posting in this thread, because I can, and I think this could be hilarious)

people love zombies. http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Halloween-Accessory-Set-850487

Are you thinking what I’m thinking, Pinky?

I think so, Brain… we should have a ZOMBIE CHRISTMAS VILLAGE / SANTA’S WORKSHOP!!!!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Josh
    Keymaster

As far as my contribution, I’m planning on just creating blank white MILS standards on as many as 17 48x48s. maybe drop in some trees, some iced ponds for an skating scene, nothing too crazy. That way, there’s plenty of tiles for people to build on (i’ll have them busted out in october as well as plenty of plates for train tracks to traverse. I may very well have time to contribute more, but at this point, I know I can commit those.

Rich Millich
    Participant

That’s pretty cool, Josh. Not everybody has the plates, and it’d be easy to separate your bases from the MOCs other LUGers put on top of them. Smart thinking!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’m planning on just creating blank white MILS standards on as many as 17 48x48s

Holy smokes! That is going to take a LOT of gray baseplates and white plates!

Josh
    Keymaster

I already have the 17 48s. White plates ain’t no thang but a chicken wing.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

At least you will have something to show for your work. I continue to spend countless hours on solving the technical problems of creating a compact brickbuilt monorail. On the positive side, this immersion into technic parts will hopefully pay dividends when I construct my secret collaboration with Sir Freshly. 🙂

Dan
    Participant

I envision this

Greg Schubert
    Participant

That guy did an amazing job. I may have to bail out of what I am doing and try to use his design. I’m trying to make the motorized sleigh to be a single unit using this motor and battery pack combo

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=5114-1
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=5038-1

which are both 20 year old designs. The “power function” motor in the video appears to be much stronger and does not require any gearing up, I’ve had to build in at least three steps up to convert the high speed low power motor output to a more powerful low-speed motion.

Dan
    Participant

Yeah that seems like one of the more compact setups. 20 years old means “tried and true”!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Last night I rebuilt a building that I made several years ago. The new version of my “festhaus” has a white roof for the winter village display. Its hard to tell from the photo, but the original was mostly white and the new one is mostly tan. (I didn’t think that putting a white roof on a white building would be visually appealing.)

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Attachments:
    Tim

Greg, I’m not sure how I missed this, but WOW! That looks great (especially having previously seen the white house from which this evolved). Both of those buildings look HUGE. Great job!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Thanks! I would not expect that we would need both buildings, but if you ever want an entire town built from the original blue-black-red-white-yellow color scheme, you know who to call. 🙂

Btw, I’ve been watching a lot of GBC videos on youtube lately, gathering ideas. Some are absolutely fascinating!

Finally, look at this eBay auction from ALLISON PARK, PA … only ten minutes from my house!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Winter-Village-CUSTOM-Ski-Lodge-and-Ski-Snowboard-Slope-More-/121176365063?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item1c36ac9807

Do you think they’d loan it to our display / join the LUG? This looks like a job for the outreach committee. I just wrote to the person, inviting them, among other things, to the FT gallery.

Tim

Wow, $250 for about $50 worth of parts and fairly common minifigs? More power to them if they can get someone to pay that price. Nice idea, however, on the outreach.

GBC is a great source for ideas for the Factory. I think I about have enough done now to post some WIP pics.

Josh
    Keymaster

They also have a custom Christmas train for sale there too! Let us know what they say!

Definitely some awesome work there too, Greg. Looking forward to this collab, and mentions of a GBC get me excited too.

Tim

Here is a little preview of what I am working on for the Winter Display for Greenburg and the Trolly Museum. The plan is for my building to resemble this: http://sophie-mouton.info/public/images/heinz_factory.jpg

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

a little preview of what I am working on

Do you have an idea of how many studs across the front or how many stories/floors high it will be?

In other news:
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8266/8689644144_ea6b68e3e3_b.jpg

Tim

Do you have an idea of how many studs across the front or how many stories/floors high it will be?

It is 70 studs across. The walls are two studs thick so the effective interior is 66 studs across. I plan to have 4 stories: 3 with windows and a ground floor without windows (just doors).

Greg Schubert
    Participant

so the effective interior is 66 studs across

I wondered if it would be good to have some inverted slopes that slope upward on the inside of the building to hold up the floors.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Can we coordinate this winter layout for Greenberg online? If so, can someone list the steps that need to be taken?

It seems we have several irons in the fire but no overall plan. Please add to the list below. As I recall,

Evan proposed making MILS standard baseplates
    Josh was going to bring 17 separate 48 x 48 baseplates covered in white
    Several members expressed interest in building a North Pole Express train
    Tim has plans for a few buildings including a Santa factory
    Tim offered to coordinate the town layout
    Greg has roughly two dozen white roofed buildings to contribute
    Andrew suggested we all take inventory of our “rolling stock”
    Greg has a Santa monorail nearly completed
    Purchasing white table cloths was proposed

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar