Flickr

Home Forums LUG discussions Flickr

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

So. Either I’m getting too old for this ish, or Flickr doesn’t do what I wish it did, or… something.

I took photos of George’s World: LANDING (Phase I of the SW Randall build.) I uploaded. I created an album. I shared to Steel City LUG group page. That’s all swell.

@tfdesigns
    took his own photos, and did the same steps (here’s his album.) That’s swell.

However.

It’d be MORE swell if we could create a COMBINED album, especially one hosted on our group page, instead of just an endless photostream on our group page and separate albums by Tom, myself, @randomdan, @erunaamo, @bsodan, and @zaximillian.

Wouldn’t it?

But, it doesn’t seem possible. Or I’m just too dumb to figure out how.

I also tried the new(ish?) feature: Galleries. It was easy to add Tom’s pix to a new gallery titled GEORGE’S WORLD: LANDING. But… I can’t add my own pictures! I guess that feature is geared toward highlighting others’ pix of things that are cool and related… and more of a “top 1-3 photos per artist” than “all the pix are dumped here” format, too – each gallery is limited to 50 pix.

So, aside from one of us taking the reins and “hosting” all the others’ photos on our stream so as to keep them in one album, have we any other recourse? “Albums” on group pages seems so simple and intuitive… why is it not a thing???

Who’s better at Flickr than me? @hacim? @finntegotash? @bengood921? @whitesidewjw? Halp me!

• This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Matt Redfield.
    Micah Beideman
    Participant

Ya, sorry, but I don’t think there’s really anything you can do. I’ve had similar situations in the past.
    Also, Galleries aren’t really new. they’ve been around for like at least 4 years 😛

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Also, Galleries aren’t really new. they’ve been around for like at least 4 years

You kids get off my lawn! >:(

Tom Frost
    Participant

Should we start a Steel City LUG flickr account? One person could be in charge or the login info could be shared so multiple people can post there. If we do this we could organize photos into albums and such within the account.

Pete
    Participant

Hey Tom thanks for volunteering. LOL

Tom Frost
    Participant

Hey Tom thanks for volunteering. LOL

I would be okay with doing this if we all think its a good idea

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I only know Flickr basics: Posting pics, putting descriptions on them, making albums, joining groups (I did create one last spring but then I handed it off to other people and I’m no longer involved). And I gutted my Flickr account this past summer, so there’s only two photos in there right now.

Tom Frost
    Participant

Hearing no dissension, I went ahead and created a Steel City Lug flickr account. This was not made to replace the Flickr group which anyone can add pictures too (pending administrator approval naturally). I mainly did this so I am not overwhelming my personal flickr account with pictures of events and collaborative displays. Here is the flickr page. If anyone else ever has pictures that they want to place here send them my way, or PM me for the login information.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

How dare you.

Actually, I heartily support this endeavour.

Tim

What is the difference between this STEEL CITY LUG flickr account and the original Steel City LUG flickr account that Josh created when we first started up? Will the “new” account only be for group display pictures / albums while the “original” account is for all random pictures from LUG members? Just curious.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I could just be patient and wait for Frost to reply, but I happen to be sitting here… the Steel City LUG group created by Josh is a group as defined by the Flickr group rules, in which, as its name implies, lots of people can join and post pics. Frost’s Steel City LUG account, as far as I can tell, is a personal account created by him simply using Steel City LUG as its name. So in that case, only Frost can post pics to it. Since these days he seems to be taking more pics of group displays than pretty much everybody else combined, and since he’s also sending the pics over to the group photostream, I don’t see anything wrong with this.

Tim

I don’t see anything “wrong” at all and am not objecting to the creation of the “new” group. I was just confused as to the difference and the reasons behind creating a second group. Thank you for clarifying some.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

No, I didn’t think you did (although I see how that doesn’t read clearly), it was more my own thinking initially: I couldn’t see any reason for the creation of a second group and it seemed like a bad idea, until I saw what he was really doing. In his comments on the account, he says he’d prefer to keep his own Flickr account from being dominated by group display pics. I definitely see the logic in that, even though I didn’t mind when my own account was similarly dominated. If I start taking and posting a lot of pics again though, I might go the Frost route and set up a second account as well.

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Ya, I have a second account where I post things that don’t fit my standards for my main account, weather that be convention pictures, extra shots of mocs, wips, etc

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I don’t see anything “wrong” at all and am not objecting to the creation of the “new” group. I was just confused as to the difference and the reasons behind creating a second group. Thank you for clarifying some.

I agree – it’s a great idea to keep LUG posts separate from individual creations. But Tim, it’s not a “new group” – it’s a new individual account – we’ve personified Steel City LUG! (Or, we could say it’s LUG Doug’s account!)

My account on Flickr is a mess – I didn’t originally open it with the intent of showcasing MOCs (or for LEGO at all, iirc.) I’d probably be better served to create a new one with a catchy handle just for MOCs, and keep my “personal” account for off-brand stuff like Micah. Everything’s a product / all about maintaining a certain public perception these days, ya know? But… I already paid for Pro on my account… ruh roh…

Tom Frost
    Participant

Or, we could say it’s LUG Doug’s account!

a picture of Doug is the avatar. I think Tim’s original question has already been answered by others above, but yes this is basically just a place to host pictures so I am not filling my account with LUG stuff (that is largely collaborative). Everything parked in this account will still be posted to the LUG Flickr group, which any LUG member with a flickr account can post pictures to (MOCs, events, displays, pictures of Pete doing the mannequin challenge, etc)

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Since questions came up and I’d forgotten some of what was discussed last year in this thread, I’m going to repost / summarize / make corrections here:

Nice. We should link those to the LUG flickr stream? Not sure how that works.

You submit them to our group pool and they wait in queue until they are reviewed and approved. Sean submitted earlier this afternoon, and I just approved. I’m not sure, but I think Josh, Frost, and I are the ones who wield the Phenomenal Cosmic Power of approving photos to our LUG page… if you submit and they don’t get approved in a timely manner, ping one of us!

https://www.flickr.com/groups/steelcitylug/pool/

What we really need to do, besides just dumping all of the pics into the pool, is to create Albums or Galleries to keep each event/display separate and easily browsable. I experimented with this for George’s World (Album / Gallery), and I’m not sure, but I think galleries are better for our purposes… They allow for a visible description on the left side of the page, and separate descriptions on each individual photo once you click through to them.

The down side is, it does NOT seem possible to “curate” a gallery as the Steel City LUG group – only as individuals. If anyone knows this to be possible, please do share… hmm, maybe we should have a flickr thread? #threadjacker

Oh hey, I already created a flickr thread, and it addresses these concerns! I didn’t ‘member!

Summary: Tom created a “personal” account called Steel City LUG, where we can manage photos via Albums and Galleries. They can still be submitted to the Group Steel City LUG to be part of our photostream pool there.

Further Summary: Tom has control of the “personal” Steel City LUG account, so you can submit pics of our collaborative displays to him for uploading and placement in an Album and/or Gallery for the given event; he can then also submit to the group pool. I would suggest that rather than submitting 50+ photos for each event to the pool, we select 3-10 “highlight” photos, and direct people to the Albums for more detailed photos… thoughts on that? Josh, Rich (did you not ‘member, Rich?), Evan, Micah, and I are admins on the Steel City LUG group and thus have the power to manage the photos in our group pool. Clear as mud? Good.

David Bacon
    Participant

I tired to add some photos to the Steel City LUG Flickr group (they’re legit Lego creation photos) but they have not been accepted. Am I doing something wrong?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Not gonna lie, Dave… I don’t get on Flickr every day. There are other admins, but maybe they also don’t always get on daily?

If you think we’re snubbing you, ping us first, maybe ping one of us (Josh, Micah, Rich, and myself.) Or bribe us to make you an Admin, too!

I approved yer pix now. Very nice work. @joshhall, shall we put the PGH media logo pic up?

Josh
    Keymaster

I’m not sure they’ve all been delivered yet. Let’s hold off for a bit.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Ah, yeah. Wasn’t sure about that part.

Tim

maybe ping one of us (Josh, Micah, Rich, and myself.)

Just FYI, I am also an admin and can approve photos.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Just FYI, I am also an admin and can approve photos.

O_O

You are?!?

I looked right before I typed that, and I didn’t see you listed!

Josh
    Keymaster

he at least has the ability to approve pics.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Wait. Right. MODERATORS can approve photos. But that’s different than ADMINS. Haha. We went through all this last year (backreading pays, lads and lassies!)

Moderators currently include: Frost, Joe Holp, Tim, Walter, Rodney, and Dan Efran.

I’m pretty sure we allow petitions to become a Moderator, but you need 10,000 signatures… 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar