Greenberg Train Show – Monroeville PA – November 6-7, 2021

Home Forums LUG discussions Greenberg Train Show – Monroeville PA – November 6-7, 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

I have trains that could be run, but they aren’t necessarily MOCs (Passenger Train, Disney Train, Hogwarts Express, etc.). I modified a lot of the cars, but that’s really it.

John S
    Participant

Trying to figure out if I can make it, but I have a re-colored Hogwarts I can bring. Original carriages still.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Renée
    Participant

@timf From the LUG sorting party thread:

If we do Greenberg’s, the set up is Friday evening. So anyone setting up Friday could then head to Josh’s to sort.

Are we still an “if”?

If we’re on, what’s involved in the Friday night set-up? and what time would it start/how long would it last?

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>>> I just went to my first event last weekend, BrickUniverse in Charleston WV

How come we haven’t seen BrickUniverse pics yet?

>> If we’re on, what’s involved in the Friday night set-up? and what time would it start/how long would it last?

Unfortunately, with the Greenberg Train Shows, it’s not as simple as just picking a start time. We never know where we’re going to be in the convention hall until they make a map. Most of the vendors have so much stuff that they drive their vehicles into the hall to unload. As non-vendors, we’re typically towards the back (where the vehicle entrance is), which means we can’t set up until everybody in front of us has already loaded in, cause otherwise we’d be in the way.

Usually we can get in around 3pm, but it’s been significantly later than that in the past, and it doesn’t help that the hall closes early on Friday evening, usually at 7:30. If you’re not done setting up your stuff and you’re a morning person, the hall opens really early on Saturday morning, possibly as early as 7, so you have several more hours to work on set up before the public comes in at 10am.

A big question would be whether or not you decide to use LUG tables or the convention tables. If you do use the LUG tables, somebody has to drive them over and then unload them in the hall, and nothing really happens until that’s done. Then a big part of setup is getting the tables set up and attaching the plexiglass and the skirting.

Dan mentioned using the convention hall tables (they’re typical 8′ banquet tables). We did that without issue in Nov 2013 (the LUG tables weren’t built until the summer of 2014), so it’s certainly an option. The drawback is that there’s no way to attach the plexiglass to a banquet table, and they don’t give us enough space to set up stanchions, and so you’re gonna have kids touching stuff. Also, I seem to recall that part of the motivation for the LUG tables is to give enough depth so that the train track can make a 180-degree turn, which is either a tight fit or impossible on a banquet table. In 2013 we got around it by having the track loop the entire display, but since none of us have ever built a Lego train bridge, it meant there was no opening in the table layout, and we had to crawl under tables to get in and out of the display.

Josh made a time-lapse video of us setting up in Nov 2014 (it runs until his phone battery dies, so it’s not complete at the end of the video):

Renée
    Participant

>>> I just went to my first event last weekend, BrickUniverse in Charleston WV

How come we haven’t seen BrickUniverse pics yet?

Because, you know, life gets in the way…LOL

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmW9TqgL

Dan
    Participant

If you’re planning to attend please fill out this Doodle so we can get a firm idea on staffing.

@timf
    will you submit an application with Greenberg once we get an idea on participation? Sounds like the layout will be smaller than usual.

Tim

@randomdan thank you for doing the Doodle.

@legoleia51
    we are still IF at this point as I have not submitted our Display Application. I will go ahead and do that now that at least three of us are committed to the show (we always like to have at least 2 people per shift, minimum). If anyone else can come, please mark the Doodle ASAP.

@mrmain18
    @amplef0rth All trains (whether MOCs or not) are welcome. I generally run my Metroliner, Santa Fe, and Maersk trains.

As far as tables, I will request tables on the application so we do not need to bring any of our own.

Dan
    Participant

@timf It looks like I’ll actually have to be a maybe for Saturday at this point – my wife has interjected. So may want to wait for the submission until we have a second person for the 1-4pm slot.

Tim

So may want to wait for the submission until we have a second person for the 1-4pm slot.

I can cover the Saturday afternoon slot. I left it out just for a “break”. I am hoping that a few more people will be able to join us.

John S
    Participant

I can attend all day, either one of the days. Do we have a greater need one day vs the other?

Tim

can attend all day, either one of the days. Do we have a greater need one day vs the other?

It looks like Saturday would be a higher “need” day than Sunday.

I just submitted the application for a flexible layout between 10×10 and 16×16 (feet). I figured with (relatively) so few people displaying, we can put it together on the spot.

I will be bringing town buildings (and people, cars, trees, etc.) and trains. I also have the dark green tablecloths. If I am able to come to the LUG Sorting Parting Friday evening, I can pick up the LUG Banner as well.

Renée
    Participant

Here’s what I plan on displaying…some still WIP or WOBL

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    John S
    Participant

I signed up for Saturday then.

I have a few 3/4 size buildings (compared to official modular) and a 2 baseplates wide tiled road sections I can bring.

I just need to de-winterize them. A little hot right now, the snow may melt…

Unless you want a snowy section for the trains to ride through.

Tim

Good news / Bad news. The Bad news is that I just received a response that the July show is full and can not accommodate display space for us. So this is off the Calendar.

The Good news is that they told me that there is a November show. It is not yet listed on their website or application but as soon as it is, I will post the dates here and we can start planning for that one, which gives us more time.

John S
    Participant

Bummer. I guess it was pretty late for signing up though.

Tim

Rather than create a new thread, I have updated the Topic Title for the November 6-7, 2021 Greenberg’s Train Show. Please post here if you are interested in participating. This is normally our biggest show of the year and we normally try to do a somewhat coordinated display.

Jeffrey
    Participant

I can request it off if you need people to man booths

Tim

We can always use help in staffing, especially at the weekend-long events – it is tiring to staff then entire weekend. 🙂

Tim

OK, the Monroeville November 6-7 show is finally posted online and available to sign up. Please confirm here ASAP if you can participate. I want to submit our application this week since we are only 1 month out now!

Jeffrey
    Participant

I am available Friday night to setup
    And Saturday and Sunday for shifts

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I sort of assumed that we would do the Fall Greenberg Show in Monroeville … perhaps there is not enough interest?

Tim

perhaps there is not enough interest?

It’s crickets at the moment (very quiet). Only you, me, and Jeffrey. I would think we need at least 8 people minimum to display and staff. I am not going to put in the application until more people express definitive interest.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Yeah, in this situation I would expect a lot of people to at least be willing to bring the same stuff they had at BFL. I can only speak for myself though. I currently don’t plan to be part of this one. I don’t see any reason right now to believe that the Covid situation will have improved between now and then. I also won’t have anything built. I took apart the space plants build a month ago when I bailed on BFL. I have been making big progress on organizing and taking inventory around here, so I’d originally hoped to have at least a one-table prototype built for this event, but although progress is excellent, it’s still way slower than I’d hoped, and I definitely wouldn’t make it in time. Since I’m leaving town in two weeks, I’d need it to be done by then, and at this point I’m also assuming that our LUGBulk order is gonna show up any day now and I’ll be spending serious hours sorting, which will be time well spent, but will also take from available building time.

Jeffrey
    Participant

Andrew Keeling will be helping.
    I am helping Friday night to setup
    Unless we arent doing it

Kevin
    Participant

I can help all weekend. I’m still working on a few holiday train cars. Are there any train parts in the LUG inventory?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar