Greenberg Train Show – Monroeville PA – November 6-7, 2021

Home Forums LUG discussions Greenberg Train Show – Monroeville PA – November 6-7, 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Tim

UPDATE: November show has been added to the Greenberg’s Schedule. It will be November 6-7, 2021. I’ve changed the Topic Title to reflect the new date. Please post in this thread if you are interested in participating. This is normally our biggest show of the year.

=======Original Message=======
    Trainshow.com (the umbrella organization for Greenberg’s) has announced the 2021 show schedule. To date, the only Monroeville show is July 24-25. The only shows in November and December are listed as being in Illinois, so I do not know if more shows will be added (including the normal early November show in Monroeville).

Is anyone interested in participating in this show in July? This is a good “gateway” event for new members who are looking for a first event to display at. While the overall theme is Trains, we often branch out into other themes (we’ve done large Harry Potter displays, Space displays, etc.) which have little or no connection with Trains.

I am definitely interested and would love to get a critical mass of participants. Itching to get out my Town buildings again, especially since I have completed a few new ones since the last tine we did a large display.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Tim.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I won’t be available in July. I’ll be interested to see if they come here in November, it seems like the 6th and 7th would be the most likely dates.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I can contribute MILS’d McDonald’s and other non-winter buildings but I am not going to be around that weekend.

It would be cool if @zaximillian could show off his cars that weekend. I’m not sure if he is ready to do that, but I have a car tower he could use if he wanted to go that route.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Renée
    Participant

I can definitely display, as my second chicken and her chick will be completed by then. Most likely I could be there Sunday, but not yet sure of my availability since my daughter is coming in that weekend.

As one of those new members, @timf what’s involved in displaying and attending? I just went to my first event last weekend, BrickUniverse in Charleston WV, so I’m now familiar with the point of view of an attendee.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Ooh. I might be interested in filling @greg’s tower, as I have attended this show before. I rely on public transportation, which means what I can bring to eny show is limited to my own two hands in one bus seat, so to bring lots of cars, I’d need some custom transportation.

As for readiness, I am 5 cars away from being able to display the complete field, but that’s dependent on both BL orders which I don’t even….

Waaaaitaminute. *counts the bays in the car tower*

That looks like 30 bays, which means I could fill it all and then some. What’s the interior space per bay, @greg? I don’t know what the largest dimensions on my cars are other than they are just over 6 studs wide at maximum, mostly at the spoiler.

Height and length I never checked, planning to build the paddock stalls around the cars. I just want to make sure my models fit.

I can’t commit yet, because I Have Questions.

Tim

what’s involved in displaying and attending?

@legoleia51 to display, we normally discuss in thread what everyone is planning to bring. Often the “event lead” will prepare a layout (sometimes pretty detailed, sometimes just a rough sketch). Then we all show up for set up and put it all together.

For an event like Greenberg’s, we normally have a pretty large area so there is plenty of space to put everything we want. For some events the available space is more limited and we have to plan more precisely.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The car tower bays were built to accommodate vehicles that are at least 8 wide x 16 studs long. And transportation to this event would be an issue for both of us because I won’t be around to move the tower to and from Monroeville that weekend … but I think we can eventually make it work.

Side note: the tower shown does not show all the improvements made after the photo was taken, most notably surround each bay in 1x6x5 clear panels.

Rich Millich
    Participant

Just took measurements. 7 studs wide, 19 studs long, 5 1/3 bricks tall.

Rich Millich
    Participant

This made me realize that a full field double file rolling start plus pace car would be…

…carries the one, adding a stud of spacing…

460 studs long. I am close to completing well over four SHIP’s length of race cars.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Rich Millich.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> 460 studs long. I am close tp completing well over four SHIPs length of race cars.

This is one of the most awesome sentences I have ever read.

I wanna see a pic of the updated Carvana with the clear panels installed.

Tim

I won’t be around to move the tower to and from Monroeville that weekend … but I think we can eventually make it work.

@greg I should be able to take it there and back for you. What is its footprint?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The total base is 64 x 64 studs and held together with lots of brackets across the plates – https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=76766#T=C so it feels very solid when moving it.

Rich Millich
    Participant

I get it. With a part like 76766 used in bulk, that could eliminate a lot of torsion.

So how big *are* those individual bays?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Counting the studs in the photo, the bays are 24 x 12. The plates are held together by an 8 x 16 tile.

The original design was that the plate in each bay could be lifted up using a technic elevator that would be remotely controlled with three separate motors. One motor for up and down, one for rotation and one for the retrieval mechanism to go in and out of the bay. Progress on this mechanism stalled about a year ago.

Attachments:
    Tim

The total base is 64 x 64 studs

Yes @greg, I can take that to the show for you.

@rcgrier3406
    any interest in doing some HP at this? Maybe do London or Diagon Alley again?

Renée
    Participant

Houston, we have a problem of scale… (LOL emoji here)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Renée.
    Attachments:
    Dan
    Participant

I’m interested!

Bob Grier
    Participant

@rcgrier3406
    any interest in doing some HP at this? Maybe do London or Diagon Alley again?

@timf
    , we’re looking to take a vacation trip sometime in July, but it’s still in the planning stages so I’m not sure when yet. If I’m in town, all of my Diagon Alley stuff is still together so I could for sure do that.

Update for @timf, our vacation plans have been finalized and we’ll be out of town the weekend of July 24-25th so I’m a no-go for this show. If you decide to do Diagon Alley and want to use any of my MOC’s, let me know and I’ll get them to you.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Bob Grier.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

I cannot commit to Greenburg. One of my weekend employees is leaving my company mid-July, and another broke his leg last week.

Guess who’s likely to pick up all that slack?

Will McDine
    Participant

I will likely not be able to staff, but sending some builds along may be an option.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

It sounds like Tim, maybe Renée and maybe Bob are available for the train show.

Renée
    Participant

I’m definitely available Saturday

Josh
    Keymaster

Is this off? Don’t see that anyone submitted an application to display.

Dan
    Participant

If I’m reading the comments right then Tim, Renee, and myself are available to staff. If others are able to send builds that could be enough a small display. I think we’d want to see about using their tables, though if we’re low on staff.

Would @emperorofthenorthpole be interested in bringing trians? Maybe space from @whitesidewjw and @tfdesigns?

Glenn Holland
    Participant

Would @emperorofthenorthpole be interested in bringing trians?

I will be attending on Sunday as a part of a small Lego layout representing the Strasburg railroad, so I will have trains to display. I don’t expect to be able to display everything on their layout, so if there is interest/space for having some trains on display, I can help out.

I also plan to host a small talk about lego steam locomotives that day.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar