Input on LEGO video game

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Input on LEGO video game

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

QUESTION: What Would You Like to See as a LEGO Video Game?

Hello and Good Afternoon LEGO Ambassadors & LUG Points of Contact,

I hope this message finds you each well. Recently, I’ve had the opportunity to work more closely with members of the LEGO Digital Games team based in the US office. These individuals are dedicated to the development and subsequent marketing efforts of our console LEGO video games such as the upcoming LEGO: Batman 3 Beyond Gotham and the recently launched LEGO: The Hobbit games. Over the last several months we’ve been able to explore a few marketing initiatives such as providing our online LUGs with copies of games to conduct reviews and host contests. For those of you who may be planning to attend the AFOL convention BrickFair Virginia 2014 in Chantilly, Virginia; USA, you’ll have the opportunity to meet Nikki Lamontagne, Associate Marketing Manager, of with whom I’ve been speaking with directly. Nikki and her team have been asked to comprise a wish list of LEGO video games to explore in 2016 and she’s expressed interest in hearing feedback from our AFOL community. What does this mean? We’d like to know what theme you’d like turned into a LEGO video game in 2016! This can be a current LEGO theme, older LEGO theme, or something that might not have even appeared physically on shelves.

Please note that as with any situation we cannot guarantee or promise that the ideas generated will come to fruition now or in the future. However, I am thrilled that the team has actively reached out to ascertain what our adult fan community would like to see in the LEGO digital space. If interested in helping us in generating this wish list, please discuss the opportunity within your LUG. I will be collecting all ideas to present one consolidated list to Nikki in two weeks time to align with her requested deadline. As such I would kindly request that each LUG consolidate any ideas from their members into one singular document and submit to me (via email at Kevin.Hinkle@LEGO.com, or by posting to the LEGO Ambassador Forum) by 12:00am EST on Wednesday July 23rd.

Please reach out with any questions, comments or concerns.
    Thank you for your time and continued support of the LEGO brand.

With Regards,
    Kevin Hinkle

ChristianK
    Participant

Well, an obvious extension of the LEGO Video Game series is The Simpsons, but I’m not a huge fan of that license, personally. And I’m sure that’s already in the works.

I LOVE the LEGO games – finished 100%’ing The Hobbit on PlayStation 4 a few weeks ago and I’m in the midst of playing PotC on PS3 – so this is an exciting proposal. Imma think on it a bit.

Dan
    Participant

Pirates (even *ugh* Pirates of the Caribbean if that’s what it would take…)! Or a space exploration game featuring the different space lines (Benny may help make this a legitimate cause!)

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Juliette told me she really wants to see them make ‘The Adventures of Clarence’ as a videogame.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

My first impulse was, “seriously, video games are such a waste of time.” After all, how could they make software that is more useful than LEGO Digital Designer, and that is free. Then I got outside the “licensed character box” and the ideas flooded in. If LEGO is open to doing something innovative, I would like to speak with them. I would seriously quit my job to work on these ideas with ANY software developer:

1. I want to see a video game based on human physiology … I don’t care who makes it. I find it so frustrating that kids can recite multiple traits of hundreds of mythical Pokemon characters and no one knows what the pancreas does or what a chloroplast does. Our lives literally depend on these things. (Here I am using literally literally.)

2. A game where kids learn how basic scientific principles which help them to be home responsible owners. I have so many discussions with my wife trying to explain scientific principles about water flow, heat flow, basic biology, electricity etc. in which I have to clear up misconceptions about how we need to do fix things around the house or in the yard. Obviously NO kid is going to care about the mundane task of keeping their home running, so instead you disguise this game as having them design and do damage control on a spaceship / castle / outpost that is under attack. At Navy officer candidate school they had this training facility called the USS Buttercup in which they sent future sailors down into the hull of a simulated ship that had been hit by a torpedo … cold sea water was pouring in everywhere. You had to use buckets, mattresses, whatever was available to plug the holes and stop the leaks. That’s a little more exciting than installing a GFCI, but I am sure they could work these things in someone.

3. How about a virtual LEGO minifig stop animation software?

4. Finally, a game which rewards environmental stewardship and sound principles of living sustainably. I could go on about this idea ALL DAY.

As a species, we dedicate a disproportionate amount of resources having our children learn stuff that will never benefit them. It seems like the spirit of the LEGO company has always transcended that.

ChristianK
    Participant

Greg, I’d keep your day job. Unless you were joking, in which case, quit your day job and become a stand-up comedian. That post was hilarious.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Greg, I’d keep your day job. Unless you were joking, in which case, quit your day job and become a stand-up comedian. That post was hilarious.

That IS my day job … teaching high school Science, using comedy. Although THIS post was not meant to be funny. I would like to be onboard when Google takes over the teaching “industry.”

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Greg Schubert.
    Dan
    Participant

Greg’s ideas are awesome! Would they resonate with the audience?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Would they resonate with the audience?

It all depends on how it is done. If the understanding of the parabolic motion of a missile is used to blow up a zombie on a motorcycle, then learning and fun happen at the same time.

Hannah Dow
    Participant

I want to see a new and improved Lego Island/Lego Island 2 game. It could be the same story line from the original PC game for all I care haha I just want to be able to play it again, and on a better system than Windows 98. I’m quite pleased with the work that Tt games has done with all of the licensed theme video games (Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Batman, Marvel, LotR, Hobbit), I’m confident they could pull this off 🙂

Another theme that had awesome characters/storylines was the Adventurers, with Johnny Thunder, Gail Storm, Lord Sam Sinister, Baron Von Barron, etc (They don’t name ’em like they used to lol). I would love to see that theme as a game, seems like it could have a lot of potential.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I want to see a new and improved Lego Island

Yeah baby, lurin’ the Brickster and the cops towards each other by throwing food out of a helicopter, that’s what I’m talkin’ ’bout … and the race car game underneath the island was the bomb!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Here I am using literally literally.

…and correctly.

They don’t name ‘em like they used to lol

What, you’re not a fan of Crominus?

Josh
    Keymaster

how’s this?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    ChristianK
    Participant

All I could think of was a LEGO Futurama game.. Combining spacey and city stuff in one license/game. But the show is cancelled, so it’s really unlikely.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

how’s this?
    Attachments:
    Steel-City-LUG-video-game-wish-list.docx

That’s a good summary, it’s all they need, some seed ideas. My guess is that LEGO will look at input from multiple sources and if there are recurring themes, they will consider the ideas further.

Btw, in regard to my former assertion for the need for teaching scientific principles using video games, an adult in my house tried to defend their notion that humidity gets in through the walls of our below-ground basement by stating that they have seen beads of water on the 55 degree brick wall in the summer. This erroneous cause and effect explanation exemplifies a common misconception by kids who claim that water diffuses through glass after they see a glass of cold liquid “sweating” in humid air. 😛

A few days ago, the same person was trying to get the humid air out of the basement by installing a fan in the doorway, blowing outward, closing all other paths for air to come in.

Which also reminds me that I’ve had colleagues leave a fan running in a warm room that is entirely closed while they go off to teach classes only to find that when they return the room is even warmer. A fan in a closed room lowers the room temperature about the same amount that a toaster oven would.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Greg, you should be a humor columnist.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Greg, you should be a humor columnist.

I think the key is to say, “I am not making this stuff up!”

Duncan
    Participant

I’ve played Lego City Undercover on WiiU an 3DS (highly recommended), Lego Batman on PS3, and Lego Marvel on PS4. The one thing that would be fun to see as unlockables in the games would be instructions. In each game you encounter objects or vehicles that were never released in sets. It would be fun if you could unlock instruction on how to build such vehicles, if you have the parts.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar