Old Skool Pirates!

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Old Skool Pirates!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dan Waksman
    Participant

I dug up one of my last major sets as a teenager in my mom’s basement and put it back together. So many cool unique pieces in Forbidden Island!

Dan Waksman
    Participant

And I had to resize…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

CHEATER! That’s not a 1980s cannon!

Awesome set tho.

Skipper Mike
    Participant

I have that set too! Almost makes me want to put it back together.

Tim

It’s always fun to dig out instructions and build old sets. Maybe for the Q1 meeting, we can ask everyone to build and bring a favorite “old” set.

Tom Frost
    Participant

^I think thats a great idea

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Tom Frost.
    Dan
    Participant

CHEATER! That’s not a 1980s cannon!

Actually, it is. The shooting cannon design was prevalent overseas while the States got a non-shooting version (thanks, lawsuit culture!).

@bsodan
    This is a great set! The trapdoor isn’t up to modern standards, but it’s functional. A nice medium-sized base for pirate operations!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Actually, it is. The shooting cannon design was prevalent overseas while the States got a non-shooting version (thanks, lawsuit culture!).

Source?

But sure, fine, America sucks, I get it.

Skipper Mike
    Participant

Actually, my set did come with a firing cannon. They quickly pulled them after the initial release, but the first ones had a firing cannon.

Dan Efran
    Participant

Source?

Don’t know much about the LEGO cannons specifically, but in the USA there was definitely a broad, somewhat hasty transition to non-shooting versions of many shooting toys after a toy spaceship’s missile killed a kid in 1978. Missile-firing toys have been creeping back into the market in recent years, but there were almost none for a long time.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

#Murica! Where we can still have guns for hunting game or schoolchildren, but our kids’ toys can’t have plastic projectiles because #youllshootyoureyeout!

Dan
    Participant

Lego brought the shooting cannon back though!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar