Philly Brick Fest April 2014

Home Forums LUG discussions Philly Brick Fest April 2014

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

so, anyone want to volunteer to meet up with chad tuesday night? if not, I’ll try to grab breakfast with him wednesday.

Tim

so, anyone want to volunteer to meet up with chad tuesday night? if not, I’ll try to grab breakfast with him wednesday.

I’m sorry but I am not available Tuesday evening. 🙁

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I could maybe do it… what’s the idea? A single white rose, take him out to dinner, maybe a nice incline ride…?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Is Chad a train guy? Can he make stickers for our Polar Express passenger cars and/or coal car?

Josh
    Keymaster

from chad:

I was wondering if either of you, or anyone else in your LUG, would be interested in doing a building workshop or seminar for a specific building technique during the private sessions. I would be happy to fit something in if anyone is interested.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

doing a building workshop or seminar for a specific building technique during the private sessions

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw7mfbp1xL1r5yuawo1_500.png

Dan
    Participant

@Evan: Robots???
    @Rich: Fighters???
    @Josh: Mosaics???

Josh
    Keymaster

fyi, I’m really going to push for commitments at our q1 meeting. Chad is pushing me for answers on our dimensions…when I haven’t even committed. Start planning what you want to show and we’ll worry about who is going later 🙂

btw, pennlug is out of control. 29ft x 81ft. display.

Philly Brick Fest 2014 07

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Holy…

Then again, it’s their hometown show. Not nearly as hard as taking something this big on the road…

Josh
    Keymaster

The public hours are from 10:00AM to 5:00PM Saturday & Sunday
    We have sold out of our pre-sale tickets (12K), and anticipate walk-up ticket sales.
    We also anticipate about 100+/- AFOL/TFOL exhibitors

I have also attached a DRAFT schedule of events. Also, Alice Finch, famous for her massive hogwarts MOC http://www.brothers-brick.com/2013/02/26/alice-finch-builds-massive-lego-hogwarts-from-400000-bricks/ was recently hired by Bricklink. She will be coming in to speak at the event and will have some special announcements about the future of bricklink!

Let me know if you have any more questions,

Chad

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Alice Finch, famous for her massive hogwarts MOC http://www.brothers-brick.com/2013/02/26/alice-finch-builds-massive-lego-hogwarts-from-400000-bricks/ was recently hired by Bricklink. She will be coming in to speak at the event and will have some special announcements about the future of bricklink!

Zook.

Josh
    Keymaster

if it’s on facebook, it’s public information, right? just sayin’
    http://www.eventbrite.com/e/philly-brick-fest-2014-full-registration-tickets-6912775297?discount=pennlug

Tim

The proposed PennLUG display is quite impressive. As anyone who has seen their display before, they have a very cohesive train layout that would be at home with non-LEGO model train layouts.

We will need to decide if we also want to try to do a train display or if we should go in a different direction. Perhaps we should consider a Castle/Medeival layout. That could be a precurser to the summer Library Display (two birds with one stone). Part of the display could be water-based to incorporate the warships that were displayed at the Future Tenant Gallery. Perhaps a fortified town on a bluff overlooking a harbor area.

Josh
    Keymaster

alright – steel city lug is set with a 20 x 20 area, 8′ x 30 inch tables arranged for a hole in the center.

Now, who is going and what space do we need to plan?

Tim

One thing to keep in mind (display wise) is that at fan conventions (like Philly BrickFest and BrickFair), having lots of stock sets (i.e. the modular buildings) is somewhat frowned upon. MOC’s rule at the conventions so I would suggest that we not rely much (if at all) on filling our display space with stock sets.

I can bring many of my town buildings and brick built roads. I will try to build a full size Pittsburgh skyscraper so we can do a downtown area. It will not be the U.S. Steel Tower as I need to accumulate a lot of black brick before I can do it justice (I’m thinking that that will need to be approximately 5-6 feet tall to be in scale).

Zemata
    Participant

I’m for sure going. I’ll take all the stuff I already have but waiting to see what we’re doing before I decide if I want to build anything.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

So this is another one I somehow failed to subscribe to and haven’t looked at since I posted way back in October or whenever. So I am just getting caught up.

The bad news is that I checked the calendar before I registered, just to be sure, and it turns out that I am not available that weekend. So I am definitely out. (Assuming all goes well and they have it again next year, I’ll definitely keep that weekend clear for 2015, but that doesn’t help us this year.)

I’m still gonna follow along on this discussion since I’m still interested in seeing how it goes. Also, I’m definitely open to the possibility of sending stuff along with somebody else if I can come up with contributions that are needed and/or wanted.

Tim

Unfortunately, I now have an unavoidable family obligation (first communion) that weekend and can not go. However, I can still build and contribute to the display.

Julia
    Participant

I am conveniently already going to be at a medical conference in Philly that weekend. I have a poster presentation on Thursday evening and then I’m largely uncommitted after that 🙂

I don’t have an MOC to contribute other than the ship, which most of the AFOLs there have probably already seen. It’ll probably still get a good response from the public crowd, though!

Or maybe now it’s time to build my firefly in a bottle…

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I am conveniently already going to be at a medical conference in Philly that weekend. I have a poster presentation on Thursday evening and then I’m largely uncommitted after that
    I don’t have an MOC to contribute other than the ship, which most of the AFOLs there have probably already seen. It’ll probably still get a good response from the public crowd, though!

Or maybe now it’s time to build my firefly in a bottle…

Its great to hear from you, Julia. 🙂 Perhaps we should make a frame for your poster out of LEGO parts and then you could present it at Philly Brickfest too. What kind of firefly?

http://autochunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Adrian-Drak%E2%80%99s-Lego-Firefly-Serenity-model.jpg

Julia
    Participant

Haha, definitely the Serenity kind, but I probably can’t find a bottle big enough for that one…

And good to be here! I’ve finally figured out that you can subscribe to the forums, so hopefully that will make me remember to check these forums more often 🙂

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Haha, definitely the Serenity kind, but I probably can’t find a bottle big enough for that one…

Oh, come on! Adrian Drake’s Serenity is only 7 feet long; surely you can top that!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Just bumping this thread so we don’t lose track of it while working on CranLib, etc. We have just over 2 months to plan logistics (who’s going, carpools, lodging) and what we’re displaying (trying to use components from CranLib? Some town/train? All kinds of random MOCs?)

Some thoughts:

– Reiterating that any time we can use MOCs for multiple events, we’re saving build time. As such, if we have the castles for CranLib Fizz Boom Read ready, it would be cool to take them. Also, with the LVRR display the week after PBF, if we decide to take some town and train type stuff to PBF, it would be immediately reusable for that event.

– As Tim pointed out, “stock” sets are frowned upon at conventions. So if we do town/train, we should minimize use of modular sets, etc.

– I think this would be a great venue for some of our standout individual MOCs (ship in a bottle, Cathedral, Evan’s bots, Rich’s starships…) but it would be great to also have the majority of our display be more or less cohesive (that doesn’t mean it couldn’t combine themes…)

Other thoughts / opinions?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Folks, we have 52 days until PBF. On Saturday, those of us who made it to Cranberry Library took a few minutes to talk about who planned to build for PBF, and who wants to attend PBF.

WE NEED TO START LOCKING DOWN COMMITMENTS for builders / who can take or send existing MOCs / who’s going. Please fill out the Doodle if you plan to attend some or all of the event. Please leave a note describing what you are going to take / send for display.

PBF Attendance Doodle – let us know your plans, so we can work out logistics.

LET US KNOW what you’re going to build! It can be individual MOCs (sexy robots, ships in bottles, starfighters…) or help building a collaborative display. Still some flexibility with what we display; I think we should take something collaborative, but we don’t have a specific theme. Could be some trains / spacey stuff, could be primarily castles if Greg, Tim, and Doug have those ready / if anyone else wants to build castles… might actually be really cool to expand on the primary colored castles, right? Whether that would mean MORE colored castles (green, orange, purple, etc.) or just some forests / hills / armies / battles / whatever…

So far, based on Saturday’s meeting and reading earlier posts in this thread, here’s what I know about people’s plans (please do still fill out the Doodle and comment to confirm or correct what I’ve stated below):

Tim – probably can’t attend, but will build a RED CASTLE
    Dan W. – probably will attend, will build (Monorail… Monorail…… Monorail!!!)
    Nick – probably will attend, could drive, has TARDIS to fit all kinds of people, luggage, and MOCs
    Ben – can’t go
    Doug – …… can we take your BLUE CASTLE?!
    Rich – can’t go, probably can’t contribute to display
    Evan – definitely going, will take robots, might help build other stuff
    Julia – probably attending, could take ship in a bottle
    Matt – attending (but can’t be there Thursday), will build collab, trying for a MOC too
    Greg – you know you wanna go and take your YELLOW CASTLE!!
    Josh – you know you wanna go and build a SAND RED CASTLE!!!

…anyone else?

And if you’re going, REGISTER! Here’s the link. Enter “pennlug” promo code to save almost 50%! DO IT. It’s gonna be awesome. Everything is awesome!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Matt Redfield.
    Julia
    Participant

Definitely attending! I’ll be at an medical conference in downtown Philly on Thursday, but it’s not in my field (I’m just presenting a poster Thursday evening), so I’m less than committed to hanging out at the conference and I can probably drop by on Thursday and help out with set-up and such. Ship in a bottle will be there (reminds me Matt, I should really take it off your hands again) and I’ll bring a computer set-up for the video.

I’ll be driving out Wednesday afternoon, so I’m not really a candidate for driving others unless anyone just needs a ride back to Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Also, has anyone else tried to book a hotel room? It looks like the hotel they recommend is all booked for the weekend. I booked a hostel downtown, so it’s not like I’ll be homeless, but I wouldn’t mind moving out closer to BrickFest if there are other people staying in another hotel.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar