quarterly challenge ideas

Home Forums MOCs Build challenges! quarterly challenge ideas

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

at tomorrow’s meeting, I’m going to look for 1 or 2 people to take up the responsibility of coordinating the challenges each quarter. I have a bunch of ideas for future ones, and you should feel free to add your own here too.

• best use of a printed tile – other than its original use
    • “pittsburgh”
    • make a monster
    • vic viper
    • seed part challenges from inventory
    • realistic vehicles
    • character building
    • collaborate with at least 1 other builder – Q3 2017
    • brickheadz
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Josh.
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

What’s ‘character building’? Like when Calvin’s dad made Calvin do stuff that he didn’t like? Also:

Josh
    Keymaster
    Josh
    Keymaster

So, @bengood921 you and @randomdan volunteering to organize these going forward?

Micah Beideman
    Participant

Ohhh, I like the idea of collaborate with at least 1 other builder

Tim

A “seed part” challenge would also be interesting (a la Iron Builder challenges).

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

<< So, @bengood921 you and @randomdan volunteering to organize these going forward?

Wait, what? This is reminding of when Dave Barry did his history of America and wrote that the founding fathers selected George Washington as the leader of the revolutionary army “because he was the strongest and the bravest and not actually in the room at the time”, cause I definitely don’t remember having this conversation. I can think of lots of reasons why this isn’t going to work out (not the least of which is that I am not strong or brave), so I’m going to have to pass on this one. But it was nice of you think of me.

>> A “seed part” challenge would also be interesting (a la Iron Builder challenges).

True, and when you think about it, we already did that one, when Josh unloaded the white doors on us. Which I thought of because the next one is fairly obvious also, we have a lot of pearl gold 2×2 round tiles.

Phil Breneman
    Participant

I am not sure who originates ideas for the quarterly build challenges, but figured I would throw some ideas out for consideration:

1. Best arcade or food stand to support a potential amusement park theme at the trolley museum.

2. Best build based on a collectible minifigure such as the picture below. I don’t build many MOCs, but this was something I did for fun and it ran around our Christmas tree this year.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

How about “Rain”, based on the rain slicked look of the brick built roads we’ve done:
    * How do we depict it?
    * How do we depict figs reacting to it?
    * What things happen primarily or only in the rain?
    * What is rain famous for?

Or perhaps expand on this. Pick a weather condition. It’s a heat wave. Or it’s windy. Or it’s an ice storm. Weather happens every day, but few builds incorporate it. That might be an eye opening challenge.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Rich Millich.
    Josh
    Keymaster

Whoever wants to originate/coordinate quarterly challenges. Are you stepping up, Phil? Rich?

Rich Millich
    Participant

Put me down for Q3: Vic Viper.

Will McDine
    Participant

I would be interested in participating in Realistic Vehicles and Brickheadz!

Dan
    Participant

I like the food stall idea!

Josh
    Keymaster

let’s go with the food/game stall idea for q1 2018. I’ll start a thread.

Tim

* What is rain famous for?

“If you like pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain. If you’re not into yoga, and you have half a brain…”

Rich Millich
    Participant

Earworm planted. Thank you, @timf

Greg Schubert
    Participant

this was something I did for fun

I like the chicken train, Phil! Did you consider a red https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=90201&idColor=5#T=C&C=5?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Phil Breneman
    Participant

Thanks Greg! I wasn’t aware they made that in red. Of course, I was trying to stick mostly with parts I already had on hand.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I was trying to stick mostly with parts I already had on hand.

I completely understand, its just a wish list suggestion. 🙂

Will McDine
    Participant

Mosaic would be another good one.

Josh
    Keymaster

anyone got one for q3? we put vic viper for q4.

Will McDine
    Participant

Giving a bit of a Bump to this. Sounds like we have Q3 and Q4 2018 all planned out. Some ideas for 2019:
    -Pittsburgh: Could be Icon, Building, Logo, whatever you think of when you hear “Pittsburgh”

-Mosaic: This is a hard one because a good deal of mosaics are rather large in size, but it would be cool to see the different uses of color, different techniques, and pictures people use.

-Color Themed Challenges: I know a few years ago we did “In the Lime Light” why not do something else along those lines like “Tickled Pink” or “Green with Envy”?

-Pick A Brick Wall: This will come in handy when the Ross Park Mall Store opens. Get a list of elements on the PAB Wall, and the challenge is that you are limited to using ONLY those parts in your challenge submission. Parts can be bought from the store or pulled from personal collection of course.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar