Saturday, May 9th – track build day

Home Forums LUG discussions Saturday, May 9th – track build day

• This topic has 40 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Keymaster

Mother’s day is that sunday, so keep that in your mind…but we NEED to build a track for the international children’s festival. They’re giving us $350 for the event…so we can spend money to make it easier on ourselves, but we’ll need a few good men to show up and build it. If too many people show up, I’m sure there is sorting and other building to do, but we cannot delay here.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Not sure I can do it; may be helping my little bro move to Lancaster. But if I can be there, I will be.

Pete
    Participant

I will be there.

Tim

My boys have hockey tryouts that morning and a scout picnic in the afternoon. May be able to get there in the late afternoon to help finish up. That will need to be a game day decision.

Paula
    Participant

I won’t be able to take that day off, since I’ll be taking the following saturday off to do the festival.

David H Donley
    Participant

Not sure about me either yet. It is baseball season so my son has a game every Saturday.

Josh
    Keymaster

Actually, this Saturday and/or Sunday might be better for me. It’s ligonier train display weekend, but I can’t make it to that for other reasons.

@pete
    , since you’re the only one confirmed for next week, does this Saturday work either way for you? It would at least put us in a better spot to feel confident we’d have something instead of just doing it all in 1 day.

Also, remember, any leads on a track to borrow are also being welcomed.

David H Donley
    Participant

Sunday would be best. Also, the earlier, the better.

Pete
    Participant

I was planning on going out to LVRRA this weekend. If we plan for this Sunday I could make it.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I’m definitely out for this weekend, unless I maybe stop by at some point Sunday afternoon on my way back from Ohio… that’d be a long shot, though.

David H Donley
    Participant

And Sunday is out for me. I forgot I had plans with my dad and son.

Josh
    Keymaster

Alright, I’ll ping a few of my buddies for saturday, or even work on getting the plan/materials list in place if not purchased. Sunday after lunch would be a time people could come over too, because I’m sure I won’t build it Saturday the 2nd.

That will put us in a better spot for May 9th.

if at anypoint people want to come over during the week to work on it, that’d be swell too.

Dan
    Participant

I won’t be able to make it this weekend.

Josh
    Keymaster

ok, got materials to make this one – http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/derby/track/

if anyone wants to come over tomorrow, after 1, let me know. I’m also trying to build a swingset, so I’ll be working on that unless someone wants to come over to work on the track.

Pete
    Participant

I will be over. I also have stuff to bring over from Saturday.

Tim

I am checking with my cub scout Pack to see if we can borrower its track. One note (which I have mentioned to several of you), our Pack’s track is very heavy and would need at least a pickup truck to haul around. It is also up in Evans City (about 10 minutes north of Cranberry) so it would be a bit of a haul to get it downtown. I’ll post here as soon as I hear back as to whether we can borrow it to the ICF. Thanks.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Forgot to take pics, but Pete and I stopped over yesterday and made some progress with Josh. Josh said that people are welcome to stop by any evening this week to work on it, and I’m tentatively thinking I’ll do that Wednesday or Thursday – pending some things beyond my control (boss is flying in today and will be around until Thursday, so I may be a bit tied up.) We should still plan on Sat 5/9 to finish up, but the more we get done during the week, the easier it’ll be to finish up.

Josh
    Keymaster

for the record, I think people who take time to build stuff like this track and lug tables and all that should get pab credit. I’m willing to discuss what that looks like and make it retroactive for this effort once a decision is made.

We need this track complete. I won’t be able to finish it on my own.

Pete
    Participant

Have we figured out which day this week we are going to work on it some more. I am available when after 4 at the earliest.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Pete, I plan to head to Josh’s after work tomorrow. I probably won’t get there until more like 5-5:30 at best. Anyone else willing and able to come help?

Pete
    Participant

I will head to Josh’s house after work.

Pete
    Participant

Come on out and help finish the track. We don’t want to let the kids down.

Josh
    Keymaster

targeting specific people… @zemata @whitesidewjw @laura @randomdan @lunch36 @soul4ger @jbovard88

If a few people could show up Friday after work, it would really relieve some stress in finishing this track before Monday. I have the girls all weekend and can’t really focus on finishing it. If people can commit to coming Saturday or Sunday to finish it, that’d be stellar too. Matt and Pete have made all the cuts, it’s just drilling, putting it together, and doing the details. I’m hoping for 5-6 man hours top. It’d be nice to make it look nice, but it’s just necessary to get it functional. Please help.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

for the record, I think people who take time to build stuff like this track and lug tables and all that should get pab credit. I’m willing to discuss what that looks like and make it retroactive for this effort once a decision is made.

I’m totally down with this. As many of you no doubt heard me say multiple times, I am not very handy, so I’ve had little to contribute here (I was at one table-building day and I tried to be helpful but I’m not sure how successful I was). So I’ve also had no real way to show my appreciation for the work done other than saying thanks and trying to build good stuff to put on the tables (and in the future, by volunteering for events where we use the track).

So if people wanna be thanked by free Legos, I say go for it. It seems to me the most obvious system would be similar to staffing events – you get 1/2 of a cup for working a 4-6 hour ‘shift’. If you worked a long day you can decide if it counts as two shifts or not (probably yes). And actually I don’t see any reason to make it more complicated than that, so that’s all I got for that.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Its probably a moot point now, but in the photo stream that Ben just posted, there are these tracks, apparently from PBF 2014:

IMG_2829.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar