Space Build at my place November 23rd

Home Forums LUG discussions Space Build at my place November 23rd

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Whiteside
    Participant

Everyone,

On Saturday November 23rd I’m having a space build at my place from noon until whenever we’re done with it for the day. Like last time, I’m ordering pizza.

I have been out of the LUG loop for a while. I want to catch up with and plan the small space hanger display that is going in the Lego store in January.

I have a new address;

5 Terraceview Ave
    Pittsburgh Pa 15243

It’s only 4 houses away from my old house.

@zaximillian

@willmcdine

@arcadiumsol

@randomdan

@tfdesigns

@erunaamo

@digivolution

@bengood921

I’ve tagged everyone that I know of that is currently interested in space or expressed interest in coming. Anyone in the LUG is welcome.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

As of right now, I will be in Pittsburgh for that. Cranberry First Night is the evening before and I already committed to that, so as long as I’m not leaving town that day for Thanksgiving (unlikely), I should be available.

I’m looking forward to seeing Walter’s new Lego room in his new house. Since it’s a completely new room, it means this will count on my list of Lego rooms I’ve been in, in addition to Walter’s old room.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I am out of town that week/weekend. If there is something I can contribute, please let me know. I have many space related figures, ships, etc. Both aliens and humans.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Jim Rolfe.
    Will McDine
    Participant

Unfortunately I am not available due to work. Definitely look forward to seeing pictures

Tim

@whitesidewjw, let me know how many people attend as the LUG will get credit for a Community Meet-Up (which helps us maintain our LUG status with Lego). Thanks!

Whiteside
    Participant

@whitesidewjw, let me know how many people attend as the LUG will get credit for a Community Meet-Up (which helps us maintain our LUG status with Lego). Thanks!

I’ll let you know what the turn out is.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Is this still gonna happen? Tomorrow is the set up day for Winter Trolley, and unlike when we did this in March, nobody has committed to coming.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Dan told me tonight that he n Rich are aiming to arrive around 1pm tomorrow, so I’m gonna try and get there at the same time.

Tom Frost
    Participant

I’m planning to be there

Whiteside
    Participant

I’ll let you know what the turn out is.

Ben, Dan, Sean, Rich, and Tom came for the space build.

We got some planning done for the January Lego store display and Rich’s space fighters look great.

Tim

Thank you, Walter. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I did some very casual building, using parts and guys out of a container that Walter had “sorted” by theme. I fell into old habits (there’s a lot of needless symmetry) and I wasn’t super thrilled with how everything came out; everybody said it looks good, but that’s just cause they’re nice. We did take pics at the end. I did like, however, that when I put my ordinary build in front of the printed backdrop and on top of Walter’s tan landscape material, and took pics under Walter’s hifalootin photo lights, I got a pic that looked it could have been something in a Lego idea book, circa 1991. I did like my ridiculous guys too.

When I was in the bathroom, Frost thought it would be amusing to put perfume dispensers on top of the building. I declared the official theme name to be Perfume-Tron, but I’m not sure that that one’s gonna catch on.

I only took pics of my stuff (and by “my stuff” I mean stuff I built, they’re all Walter’s Legos), Frost and Walter took additional photos but I don’t know what their plans are for them.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rich Millich
    Participant

Perfume-Tron. Headquarters: Spritz Station.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

So I posted those pics mostly cause I thought the people who were there but left before photo time might want to see how my less-than-spectacular build nonetheless looked pretty sharp when photographed in the right circumstances. But I have to admit that I also posted them, or at least the first one, to see if it would get me in the monthly LUG Newsletter email.

It didn’t work. There’s three possibilities:

1) Josh didn’t think it was worthy.
    2) Josh didn’t know about it cause he didn’t follow this thread.
    3) Josh didn’t know about it cause he didn’t follow this thread, but still wouldn’t’ve used it even if he had, cause he wouldn’t’ve thought it was worthy.

@joshhall

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> But I have to admit that I also posted them, or at least the first one, to see if it would get me in the monthly LUG Newsletter email.

Ha, I got into the January monthly email. Of course, there’s still three possibilities here:

1) Josh included it because of my shamelessly nagging post, above.
    2) Josh had always planned to use it but already had his December photos chosen, and reserved this one for January, regardless of my post above.
    3) Josh never saw this post, and the photo’s appearance is coincidental, and was chosen because Josh was desperate for new pics.

I also wonder if Josh will confirm or deny any of those possibilities, or if he’ll just let me be in suspense… forever. @joshhall

Josh
    Keymaster

forever. @joshhall

I like the sound of that.

General rule of thumb, until someone else starts doing the newsletter – add pics of mocs to the flickr stream. event pictures to the gallery/

Greg Schubert
    Participant

So has anyone else thought about recent rocket design (especially those for civilian space flight) not having fins? Obviously fins are useless once you are outside of Earth’s atmosphere, but I always assumed they were necessary for flight stability. Apparently the trajectory is completely controlled by thruster adjustments.

One rocket scientist (yes, literally) whose comments I read said that even the fins on the Saturn V were only there to placate public perception of what a rocket should look like. Who knew right?

But you space guys probably already knew all that … so this post is only to spur discussion and maybe enlighten us Earth-bound creatures.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar