Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 826 through 850 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I haven’t had luck finding any working software to easily design one

I had the same problem, one program I tried would not work on my Mac. However,I heard that @joshhall has software for this.

I recently did a mural/mosaic using LEGO design paper that has tiny squares that are each the same dimensions as the side of a LEGO 1×1 plate. The mural was studs up, like in a standard LEGO building, not studs out, like in a standard mosaic.

David Bacon
    Participant

I have used Pictobrick for the design of the Seton Hall logo I did in 2018. It was fairly easy to use, though a little clunky. Legoaizer is another option with a more refined user interface.

David Bacon
    Participant

Just checked and Legoaizer was threatened with lawsuits, so has thus changed their name to Brickaizer. https://www.apphelmond.com/Brickaizer/index.htm

Dan (Beast)
    Participant

Thanks for the help. I should have plenty of time on my hands to use it now.

Josh
    Keymaster

if anyone wanted to take on a project…group or individual, there are instructions for this, and I think the lug has all the parts needed in inventory…

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

That would be great! BUT, I am not allowed to come to your house for said parts. 🙁

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

SO…..I ordered some parts from Germany via Bricklink. I noticed when the Fedex delivery notification came that it is coming from LUGBULK GMBH….does anyone else find this weird/interesting?

Another thing I find interesting….I ordered a ton of parts from TLG Pick A Brick. Every count was dead on. I am talking thousands of parts. So, why is that a fairly large PAB order is so accurate but our LUG Bulk orders are usually off in one way or another? I would think they could get it right everywhere….Missing Pieces, PAB, LUG Bulk, etc, etc, etc.

Just random thoughts from Chima Quarantine.

Dan
    Participant

That definitely sounds weird @tcsbgdady. What was the store name? Anything LUGBulk related?

I’d guess the part counts may have to do with it being a traditional direct to consumer sale. My understanding has been Lego claims it treats LUGBulk as B2B so they relax their precision requirements. PAB sales are probably produced by a manufacturing business unit then processed by another “company” (division) which takes the time to ensure accuracy. This could factor into the relatively higher PAB prices.

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

That definitely sounds weird @tcsbgdady. What was the store name? Anything LUGBulk related?

I’d guess the part counts may have to do with it being a traditional direct to consumer sale. My understanding has been Lego claims it treats LUGBulk as B2B so they relax their precision requirements. PAB sales are probably produced by a manufacturing business unit then processed by another “company” (division) which takes the time to ensure accuracy. This could factor into the relatively higher PAB prices.

The store was MT_Bricks. Nothing to do with LUG Bulk that I know of. I ordered several well priced baseplates.

I agree with your assessment. I assume even at retail, they don’t hand count though. BUT, maybe they do. It certainly looked weight measured and bulk bagged and packed just like LUG Bulk orders are.

Pete
    Participant

Just got a message from my New York area news that Legoland New York will not be opening this year and will be opening in 2021.

David Bacon
    Participant

Just got a message from my New York area news that Legoland New York will not be opening this year and will be opening in 2021.

I can corroberate that as I received an e-mail from Legoland stating the same thing and that my Season Pass will be carried over to next year.

From what I have seen, they have continued construction, so my hope is that they will be able to polish everything up for their delayed grand opening.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Good news everyone! Just now at a press conference at the Hard Rock Cafe in DC, the vice president dropped the quarantine nationwide! In celebration, everyone is invited to a huge get together at my house tonight with FREE BEER AND LEGO so we can party like its 1999. My address is on Greenhaven Drive, just look for the big red lamp post.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Josh
    Keymaster

Confirmed! If you show up, prepare to be hosed.

Also, maybe we could use the plexiglass as PPE.

Tim

the Fedex delivery notification came that it is coming from LUGBULK GMBH

If you receive several hundred thousand parts, then that is our LUGBULK order*. 😀

(*but it will not be – we’ve not even received our invoice yet)

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Why is it that a part that is clear can cost five times more than one which is white?

https://www.lego.com/en-us/page/static/pick-a-brick?query=1x6x5&page=1

I am working a project which uses a lot of transparent 1x6x5 pieces, but I am probably going to have to order them from a German bricklink store.

David Bacon
    Participant

@greg I think it might have to do with the fact that most Lego is ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) and the transparent pieces are made with Polycarbonate. It’s harder and has less give than ABS which is why only certain pieces are made transparent.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Perhaps this is also why the transparent parts were deleted from LUGbulk this year.

I looked into placing the order to Germany; during the pandemic, DHL has suspended small package delivery. Instead of 9.90 € shipping for a 12 ounce package it was going to cost 39.90 €, (which covers up to 17 pounds!)

Jim Rolfe
    Participant

I looked into placing the order to Germany; during the pandemic, DHL has suspended small package delivery. Instead of 9.90 € shipping for a 12 ounce package it was going to cost 39.90 €, (which covers up to 17 pounds!)

So I would say, “Depends on the shipper.” I have bought from many European countries in the last month. Germany among them. I tried to buy a set from Germany and the seller said 39 Euro plus a 16 Euro COVID charge through DHL…I told him to go….well….I said, no thank you! 🙂 But, similar set from Germany through FEDEX went for 10 Euro shipping. I have also seen some stuff just go through normal shipping routes and normal shipping prices.

So, it depends. Happy Hunting!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

My cart at Toy Brick Brigade currently weighs about 2 ounces. Does anyone want to add anything? (They do not have hand sanitizer, toilet paper or N95’s … I already checked.)

Josh
    Keymaster

When someone is losing money, someone is making money. Bricklink is evidence of that. If you have a closed bricklink store and can manage an open one, I’d advise you open it. I’ve had dozens of orders over the past few weeks and I know many of the big stores are overwhelmed with orders. It will be interesting to see if people keep building after “rediscovering” the hobby during quarantine.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

It’s true… my girlfriend is laid off and has been helping list parts, and we’re making some sales despite much of my inventory still not being listed.

BTW, if any LUG members want to place an order at PittBricks and come to my house for a socially distant pickup, I’d consider setting up a discount code or something… @zaximillian gets like $25 off because it’s been entirely too long and I think the “future considerations” I owe him are past due. 😉

Rich Millich
    Participant

It’s true… my girlfriend is laid off and has been helping list parts, and we’re making some sales despite much of my inventory still not being listed.

BTW, if any LUG members want to place an order at PittBricks and come to my house for a socially distant pickup, I’d consider setting up a discount code or something… @zaximillian gets like $25 off because it’s been entirely too long and I think the “future considerations” I owe him are past due. ?

Two Galaxy Troopers, Two Flying Warriors, Matt. I have obviously zero rush to build with these figs, as both are for future projects. If I’m getting $25 on top of that, then it’s time for me to stock up on 1×1 plate, white and black, and printed tiles.
    If you find those four CMFs, let me know.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’ve had dozens of orders over the past few weeks

Ok, I’m going to take the plunge, but are your orders coming mostly from parts, new sets, used sets … ?

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Aw, what happened to the ghostwriter post? I wanted to ask whether he could write ghost stories and if he ever tried the Hidden Side sets. 🙁

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> Aw, what happened to the ghostwriter post? I wanted to ask whether he could write ghost stories and if he ever tried the Hidden Side sets.

Ha, I was wondering the same thing. I was sitting here when that post came in, and it was gone almost immediately. I don’t know if there’s an automated system for cleaning stuff like that up (although it would be strange that it can detect and delete it but only after it’s sent us an email about it), or if Josh is just super duper on top of that kind of thing, cause I’ve seen stuff like that disappear very quickly multiple times in the past.

My planned response was less clever than Greg’s, I was going to suggest that I might want to hire a ghostwriter to write a book about how to prevent scammers from posting nonsensical spam to an adult Lego group website. The email I got with the guy’s post didn’t have any links or anything, so it’s not clear what his endgame was there.

Viewing 25 posts - 826 through 850 (of 1,453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar