Threadjacking

Home Forums All Things LEGO! Threadjacking

Viewing 25 posts - 1,426 through 1,450 (of 1,453 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

I’m curious as to whether or not anybody here still has their physical Lego VIP card from back in the day. I still have mine, and I still use it because 1) it’s easier than having them look me up by phone number every time, and 2) I want everybody at the Lego Store to be suitably impressed with how awesome I am. And to their credit, they always are.

I thought of it because I was that store last night, and my card is in bad, bad shape. The card is cardboard laminated in plastic. The plastic on the back of my card has been peeling for years, and large sections at two corners have bent back and broken off. Yesterday I discovered that the back plastic has completely sheared off from the card, which now is literally in two pieces. But I can’t throw away the plastic, because I also discovered yesterday that the bar code that they scan to bring up my account is only printed in the plastic (I didn’t know that that’s a thing); the cardboard behind it is just plain white. I wasn’t sure if it would scan properly without a solid background behind it, so I had to hold the two parts together while the guy who checked me out scanned it.

We’ll see how long this lasts. One of the missing corners means that part of the bar code is already right at the edge of the plastic. Additional damage could render it unusable.

Dan
    Participant

I still have my physical card. It’s actually in decent shape and covered in AFOL day stickers. I don’t use it often since I hardly buy sets in person.

Tim

I also have my physical card. Not ashamed to admit that it is partially held together with some tape. 😀

Will McDine
    Participant

I still have mine. It is in similar states as Dan’s and Tim’s. Being held together with packing tape and AFOL stickers. I still use it at the store, and on occasion I have certain employees ask me how old the card is because its their first time ever seeing a white and red card.

I have often conetemplated on taking in my black and silver millennium falcon card just so see if any of the store employees recognize it.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Will McDine.
    Micah Beideman
    Participant

I still have mine, but don’t tend to use it. But more importantly: are you going to Bricks Cascade this year?
    I need one more person for my Speed Build team

Greg Schubert
    Participant

For anyone wondering, https://www.brickscascade.com/ is in Oregon a month from now.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> But more importantly: are you going to Bricks Cascade this year?
    >> I need one more person for my Speed Build team

I won’t be there, sorry. Speed Build team sounds fun.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I wish. I’m always looking for reasons to be in the PNW, and I’m super speedy (ha.)

But personal life won’t permit it this year, alack, alas!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

A trans-purple rover with space plants … seems like LEGO has Ben and Tom collaborating behind the scenes. I read that the original name for this set was “Good & Frosty” but they’re now saving that name for a different set.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Pete
    Participant

Good and Frosty because Good and Plenty was already taken, and Mike and Ike would not be a good name for a friends set.

Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> A trans-purple rover with space plant

Aw man, for a second I thought this was a real set. It would be a much more practical way to get the parts I want that are in the current Friends Space set.

>> the original name for this set was “Good & Frosty”

Some of you may have heard this one before: when I met Will Smart at BFNJ, I told him that we should open a law firm together, and that he’d get top billing. He didn’t go for it.

I’m guessing that they’re saving Good & Frosty for the Ice Planet reboot.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

@bengood921, it’s real, available for preorder

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/space-research-rover-42602

Attachments:
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

>> it’s real, available for preorder

Sweet! I was thrown because the .jpg file name includes “fake-space”. I think you meant Pretend Space, that’s the official term now.

I had thought that somebody had come up with it as an alternate build or something, even though to my knowledge, those wheels hadn’t yet appeared in that color.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Hey, neat!

Attachments:
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Hey, neat!

like Spaceman Spiff?

Attachments:
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

like Spaceman Spiff?

Well, yeah…

Yes… yes you did. MUAHAHAHA
    Though if we need an expert, we gotta bring Micah…

Heh. TBH, one of my crowning achievements (which dates back to around when I was Micah’s age – like, 14 or so) has been my Spaceman Skiffs (Calvin & Hobbes pun totally intended!) Simple build, easy to replicate and modify in whatever faction colors you like. Featured prominently in this shot from our George’s World evolving display in late 2016 (the dude hovering above the BURP), and a few other skiffs off to the left of the display in other shots in this album:

GEORGE’S WORLD: LANDING

… speaking which, I totally sent him a picture of the ginormous emoji cause I also thought it was hilarious

Lulz. It’s my absolute favorite thing on the forums. Even more than the LEGO stormtroopers beating a dead horse about “tunnels with curves” (I’ll let you explore to figure out where that inside joke came from, if you’re so inclined…)

Pete
    Participant

https://www.facebook.com/share/VWPAPgFpKEf2m1um/?mibextid=xfxF2i

Update on MCC

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Pete.
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Yeesh, that post is formatted so terribly I can’t bring myself to read the whole thing.

Glad they’re keeping it going, though.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

using clear plastic containers to store LEGO has worked well for me over the years, there are a variety of sizes ranging from a few ounces to over a gallon, the larger ones have openings into which my hand can fit, a pretty useful feature

I have a surplus of these containers, so I am offering them to anyone in the LUG who is interested, let me know if there is a size you want and I can bring them to the home show if that works

Attachments:
    Pete
    Participant
    Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Gotta work on the balls.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Whoever bought this lot, bless your heart. I was deterred by the thought of this taking over the remaining living space for months of sorting and completing sets.

Attachments:
    Tim

For $2,000, that looks like a pretty good deal if all of those modular sets are complete. And even if not absolutely complete, that is a lot of bricks for the cost.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

Im in support of applying for this. Big projects are something we’re capable of doing. It does take a lot of work to get the part estimates together, but if someone can swing it, there is money in the banana stand.

I understood that reference!

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Even better than a double decker couch …

Attachments:
Viewing 25 posts - 1,426 through 1,450 (of 1,453 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar