Town Section of Winter Display

Home Forums LUG discussions Town Section of Winter Display

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Tim

I’m working on a preliminary layout plan for the North Pole and Town areas. As soon as I get that done, I will post it for review, comment, and modification.

For the Town area, can I get an idea of who is planning on contributing, what the contribution may be, and how many 32×32 baseplates is anticipated for each contribution? Thanks!

I don’t have a preliminary plan together yet (I still have to inventory my available brick built road and my available town related buildings) but wanted to get this spinoff thread started. If you are planning to contribute to the Town Section, please post here what that contribution will likely be. Thanks!

Josh
    Keymaster

were you thinking only “winterized” buildings?

Tim

were you thinking only “winterized” buildings?

No. Any buildings will be fine. We can “winterize” buildings by just building some small snow piles of white bricks/slopes and placing those around the base of the buildings and on flat roofs. Perhaps a supply of these “snow piles” could be built at the October 26 build-a-thon.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

The plans for Sava’s train are available online:

http://railbricks.com/blog/the-north-pole-limited/

Tim

Interesting. For $20 you get plans for the engine and cars. I’m going to try to work it up on my own but since the plans can be emailed, that can be a last resort if needed.

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

I feel confident in your abilities, Tim.

Doug
    Participant

I will be contributing to your town display! I have one mansion mostly done and will be starting another one soon. I’m also open to doing anything else that needs to be done (I’m in contribution mode right now). I’ll bring what I have to the build on the 26th, although my understanding is that you won’t be there, correct Tim? If that is the case, I’ll also make sure to send you measurements. Alternatively, I can try to create my own MILS sections if you tell me how many you can accommodate and what they would need to fit alongside. I’ve been sort of MIA so I’m out of the loop on a lot of this stuff.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

Glad you’re back in action, Doug. I love all the techniques you’ve used in this house, the porch, the windows, the roof, the corners … very interesting.

Tim and I will meet this weekend and I will bring his input on the 26th. However I still do not have a grasp of whether the “town” includes modular buildings or whether there will be a separate “city.”

Doug
    Participant

Tim and I will meet this weekend and I will bring his input on the 26th.

This is going to be a “Lego weekend” for me (I need a break from everything else that’s been going on). If I can be of any help in your meeting or planning, let me know (419-271-5057, cloud@cmu.edu). Yes that’s 419, not 412 and now everyone in the LUG has my phone number and who cares?

Tim

Tim and I will meet this weekend and I will bring his input on the 26th. However I still do not have a grasp of whether the “town” includes modular buildings or whether there will be a separate “city.”

I was planning to include any modular buildings in the overall Town, not keep them separated.

Doug, feel free to come over anytime on Saturday after 11:30 am. I am free from 11:30 am to approx. 5:00 pm.

Doug
    Participant

Doug, feel free to come over anytime on Saturday after 11:30 am. I am free from 11:30 am to approx. 5:00 pm.

I don’t know if I’ll be up for a trek out to Cranberry, but if you and Greg meet and want to call me and ask me anything (e.g. “Hey, Doug, can you commit to this?”) please feel free.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

if you and Greg meet and want to call me

Tim and Doug, could we use Skype or Facetime if we wanted to?

Tim

Tim and Doug, could we use Skype or Facetime if we wanted to?

We can Facetime on my iPad.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I’m also open to doing anything else that needs to be done (I’m in contribution mode right now).

Doug, we can probably use your medieval buildings in the town, including the church. I think we’ve agreed that although the North Pole section will be snow covered, the town will not be.

If no one else has a train station to contribute (Laura?, Joe?) then you could work on a train station.

Doug
    Participant

My Skype is DougCloud_2013 and I can also FaceTime.

Greg Schubert
    Participant
    Tim

I started working on a sepatae BlueBrick file for just the Town section of the display…

I posted the BlueBrick in the main thread (“Nov. 9-10. Greenberg Toy and Train Show”) so please go see that for the preliminary Town section. As currently laid out, we will have 13 32×32 baseplates for Town buildings. If we end up needing more space, we can extend into the “Railyard” area, although I don’t know how much road (brick built) I can provide (it will be a stretch to do what I currently have).

Everyone who plans to contribute, please reply in this thread and let me know what you are contributing and how many baseplates you need. I will then drop them into the layout and see what we can come up with. Thanks!

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

sepatae

…?

Everyone who plans to contribute, please reply in this thread and let me know what you are contributing and how many baseplates you need. I will then drop them into the layout and see what we can come up with. Thanks!

I’ve been talking with Dan offline, and I think I’ll just bring my monorail track to give us some flexibility there. I’m unable to work on anything until Saturday, anyway, so I was going to come prepared to sign up for whatever areas need help. I do have a Town Hall that I could try to MILS like Ben did with his Palace Cinema… I could also build my Fire Brigade, perhaps. Other than that, I’m flexible / have no particular plans.

Doug
    Participant

Everyone who plans to contribute, please reply in this thread and let me know what you are contributing and how many baseplates you need.

I’ve got two LARGE houses pretty much built. I think together they can occupy a 4×2 section (4 wide by 2 deep), which would put me at 8 baseplates total. If both houses were placed close to one another, I think I could condense them down to a single 3×2 baseplate block (3 wide by 2 deep). I will also have the medieval church (I’ll try to add a few modern details), but it looks a little too small next to my houses…

I’ve already posted my first draft of the Georgian. Below is the Dutch Colonial that I’m working on.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by Doug.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tim

Both houses look awesome. I’m wodering if we should use them in the Winter Village section rather than the Town section. They would be great for the houses from which the children are picked up by the Polar Express. Doug, what do you think?

Doug
    Participant

Both houses look awesome. I’m wodering if we should use them in the Winter Village section rather than the Town section. They would be great for the houses from which the children are picked up by the Polar Express. Doug, what do you think?

I have no objection whatsoever. My goal is just to provide stuff to help fill out your vision.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

.. use them in the Winter Village … for the houses from which the children are picked up by the Polar Express.

I need some clarification on terms. Based on the previous statement, I am assuming the following statements are true.

-> The North Pole does NOT include the Winter Village.
    -> The “Winter Village” buildings have roofs any color EXCEPT white.
    -> The snow-covered LEGO series winter village buildings would fit in at the North Pole not in the “Winter Village” at Greenberg.
    -> The Town has three story high modular buildings and is not part of the Winter Village.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Winterizing question: would anyone consider using flocking, white is basically fake snow? If yes, does the ExpoMart have rules about this sort of thing?

I would suspect that model railroaders use it and that if it is used, there will be a lot on the floor to vacuum after the event is over.

A tangentially related thought, does the ExpoMart allow outside food / drink for event exhibitors?

Matt Redfield
    Keymaster

would anyone consider using flocking

Say what? This is a PG-rated forum!

A tangentially related thought, does the ExpoMart allow outside food / drink for event exhibitors?

Very good question; I know not the answer. I’m definitely at least bringing some water – they can pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Josh
    Keymaster

first, some clarification:

Nancy Carlson said:

Just a minor detail. The location of the Monroeville Convention Center is correctly shown on the map linked from this page. The text calls it the Expo Mart. The old Expo Mart (now a CVS office building) is in a different location at the Monroeville Mall. A google search of monroeville expo mart takes you to the convention center site, so you should be OK finding the place if you are not familiar with the area. But for those who are familiar with Monroeville, be aware that it’s not the old Expo Mart, it’s the old Wicke’s (now the Monroeville Convention Center) which is across from the old Borders (now a home goods store of some kind).

second, what’s the flocking made of? Is it going to be a mess to clean off minifigs and other stuff?

I’ll ask about the flocking and food.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar