Nov. 9-10. Greenberg Toy and Train Show

Home Forums LUG discussions Nov. 9-10. Greenberg Toy and Train Show

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 198 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin C Good
    Participant

Dan, that does help. However, I’m a little confused because your most recent sketch shows a single track, whereas the older sketch (where you sketched in red over evan’s plan) showed the track splitting in two on three sides of the layout. Should we take the new sketch to mean that the two-track plan has been abandoned (at least for this event) in favor of a single track?

Dan
    Participant

The monorail will run in the tightest loop (furthest from the public) to minimize disruption to people’s builds (no hogging the front!). Since height is not a big issue the track can raised where need be to remain visible.

Ben: there were two tracks on the original image to demonstrate two logical places to put the track. That being said, we’re planning to have a short spur in our corner. If you would like a spur or an independent loop in your section just let me know.

Laura
    Participant

As some point there was a post about how much track we can contribute. I have 24 9v straight and 24 electrified RC tracks, so 48 in all. I also have 112 curved 9v track sections. As far as 9v rolling stock goes I have…

– Maersk locomotive with 3 Maersk cars
    – 12 various freight cars
    – Center cab switcher (4565)
    – Red Cargo Train
    – Freight Rail Runner (4564)
    – Load & Haul switcher (4563)
    – Modified 9v Emerald Night steam locomotive with one passenger car
    – 9v Horizon Express train
    – Metroliner with 3 passenger cars (including the Club Car)
    – Yellow Cargo Train

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I think we need a closed loop running the Polar Express from the town to the North Pole and back.

Also, Tim and I concluded that to make setup possible in the time allotted, we need the track in our area to run entirely OFF baseplates, only on the tablecloth.

Tim

I think we need a closed loop running the Polar Express from the town to the North Pole and back.

Also, Tim and I concluded that to make setup possible in the time allotted, we need the track in our area to run entirely OFF baseplates, only on the tablecloth.

I’ll BlueBrick the North Pole, Forest, and Town sections as soon as possible.

Laura
    Participant

Incase anyone hasn’t seen it yet…

http://railbricks.com/magazine/issue-13/

Greg Schubert
    Participant

I flipped through the pages. Is there anything regarding establishing a huge train layout for a LUG that has never done one before? I noticed that the Texas club covered a huge chunk with just farmland and wind turbines and it looked pretty good!

Also I noticed one article used the bluebrick software.

Tim

I see where the National Train Show is coming to Cleveland in 2014. The article did not give any dates but that would definitely be something to keep on our radar.

Josh
    Keymaster

thanks for posting this! I wouldn’t have seen it otherwise.

There’s a lot of information in here for us, as a group starting their first display. It is all based on building to standards. That makes sure everything fits together and as makes for quick setup/tear down. Also makes planning future events much easier once you know what modules you have and what space you need to fill.

I plan on reading this a few times, I’d suggest everyone read the L-gauge section.

Laura
    Participant

They have all 13 issues of Railbricks Magazine available in PDF form on their website. It’s something I’ve looked at before for inspiration. 🙂

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Laura, are you planning any particular projects for the Greenberg Train Show?

Laura
    Participant

Laura, are you planning any particular projects for the Greenberg Train Show?

I don’t have anything in particular planned, I was just going to bring stuff to fill in the layout as needed.

Tim

I started working on a sepatae BlueBrick file for just the Town section of the display but quickly realized it would be easier at this point to just expand the original North Pole BlueBrick file to include the entire display. Thus, attached is a preliminary draft of the entire layout – I took Evan’s original layout plan and merged it with my North Pole plan. Thus far, I have incorporated three tracks – the Polar Express line, a main outside line encirling the entire North Pole, Forest, and Winter Village areas, and a separate Town line running in a large oval around the Town section. As I do not know what is planned for the Space section, I simply blocked that off with gray baseplates (32×32). I then blocked off the single table with tan baseplates – we can use that area for staging extra trains, etc.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by Tim.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

I don’t have anything in particular planned, I was just going to bring stuff to fill in the layout as needed.

Are there any buildings or vehicles that you think would be particularly valuable for a snow-covered North Pole, a wintry forest or to a non-snow-covered village?

Doug
    Participant

Are there any buildings or vehicles that you think would be particularly valuable for a snow-covered North Pole, a wintry forest or to a non-snow-covered village?

I’ll bet I can rustle up a few cars and pickup trucks.

Josh
    Keymaster

Some questions:

1. What’s the advantage of not putting the track on a mils plate instead of the table? I’d think the opposite. Throw out a plate and be down with it instead of tinkering with track…be advised, I’ve NEVER set up LEGO track.
    2. You have nothing of the forest and town built, right?
    3. What does your brick build road inventory look like? what standard/color, so we can build some to match.

and Ben, good work on the MILS cinema. The only thing about raising it up a plate would be roads are normally brick built- sideways. It just means you might have a bit more of a curb, but frankly, MINOR DETAIL. We can see how it looks saturday.

also, found some AMAZING brick built roads… http://gallaghersart.com/page/custom_modular_snot_roads_version_sp04g

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Some questions:
    What’s the advantage of not putting the track on a mils plate instead of the table? I’d think the opposite.

The curves of the train track don’t fit on a baseplate. They are not standardized like the straight sections.

Some questions:
    You have nothing of the forest and town built, right?

Lots of trees and buildings are built, but its not a coherent unit. Its more accurate to say its not planned than not built.

Some questions:
    also, found some AMAZING brick built roads… http://gallaghersart.com/page/custom_modular_snot_roads_version_sp04g

ain’t nobody got time for that

Tim

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh wrote:</div>
    Some questions:<br>
    What’s the advantage of not putting the track on a mils plate instead of the table? I’d think the opposite.

The curves of the train track don’t fit on a baseplate. They are not standardized like the straight sections.

I have set up Lego track for numerous displays. It is much easier to NOT connect the track to baseplates due to the geometry of the curve pieces – only certain studs in the curve line up wth the studs on the baseplate. Plus, in our case, that is one less thing we need to worry about. 🙂

also, found some AMAZING brick built roads… http://gallaghersart.com/page/custom_modular_snot_roads_version_sp04g/quotequote=3809

Those look fairly similar to my brick built road. Josh, since I build the roads on their side, the road ends up being 13 bricks high/wide if it is a two lane road – each lane is six bricks wide with an additional brick of height/width for the center lines. If you go to double lanes, the road becomes 29 bricks high/wide – inner lanes are 6 wide, the outer lanes are 7 wide, and there are three road marking bricks (center lane, and the lane dividing lanes). This picture shows a three lane road: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41914153@N03/8190019666/in/pool-steelcitylug/. I will have to inventory my available road stock but if you guys could build a few sections (32 studs long) this weekend from the LUG supply, that certainly would not hurt.

Josh
    Keymaster

lol.

and my question about what was built was specifically for the town, not the winter village. Did you speak of the winter village? Do we need to plan on specifically planning the areas of the winter castle and winter village on saturday to get others involved in it, or do you have Tim have it under control?

Josh
    Keymaster
    Greg Schubert
    Participant

and my question about what was built was specifically for the town, not the winter village. Did you speak of the winter village? Do we need to plan on specifically planning the areas of the winter castle and winter village on saturday to get others involved in it, or do you have Tim have it under control?

I think Laura has a few buildings and Doug just made some nicely detailed mansions. I have a McD’s, a pizzeria, a hospital, a switch tower, three townhouse / apartment buildings, five other houses, and a festhaus. It would be nice to have a train station, but we’re probably good for buildings.

Each building is stand alone, none are built on baseplates … which means none have any landscaping, mailboxes, street lamps, etc. After the main structures are in place, I am thinking it will be a work in progress at Greenberg. We’ll need the aforementioned accessories and any white plates (left over from your chicken wing.)

Greg Schubert
    Participant

my question about what was built was specifically for the town, not the winter village.
    [/quote]

Now I am not sure. Somehow, I thought the term “Winter Village” referred to buildings with snow-covered roofs, like the ones in the LEGO winter village series, (ex. toy store, bakery, post office, carousel.) I thought the term Winter Village referred to houses at the North Pole section, a lot of which will come from my Alpine Village.

However given the context in which Tim recently used “Winter Village”, it seems that what is being called the Winter Village would not include any of the buildings from the winter village series. If that is the case, the town is not planned at all.

Tim

Now I am not sure. Somehow, I thought the term “Winter Village” referred to buildings with snow-covered roofs, like the ones in the LEGO winter village series, (ex. toy store, bakery, post office, carousel.) I thought the term Winter Village referred to houses at the North Pole section, a lot of which will come from my Alpine Village.

However given the context in which Tim recently used “Winter Village”, it seems that what is being called the Winter Village would not include any of the buildings from the winter village series. If that is the case, the town is not planned at all.

Any confusion on this is my fault. Let me redefine how I have been using these terms throughout various threads. “North Pole” refers to the section of the layout which will include the Santa Admin Building, Santa Castle, Greg’s Alpine Village buildings (i.e. elf houses) and any other similar Victorian/Gingerbread structures. This area is on the lower left of my BlueBrick layout.

“Winter Village” refers to the section of the layout which will include houses from which the children are picked up by the Polar Express. This area is on the lower right of my BlueBrick layout. So far, Greg and Doug are providing houses for this area but we can always use more. Also, any official Lego Winter Village sets would be appropriate here. Buildings in this area should be “winterized” with some snow on roofs, icicles on eaves, snow piles around, etc.

“Town” refers to the section of the layout which will include downtown buildings such as Greg’s McDonald’s and Pizzaria, my Bank building, Greg’s hospital, Doug’s church, and Ben’s Palace Cinema. Other modular buildings would also be fit well here (if no one else brings a Grand Emporium, I will probably contribute mine). This area is on the upper right of my BlueBrick layout. Buildings in this area do not need to be winterized.

Hopefully, that clears up any confusion of terms.

Greg Schubert
    Participant

Is anyone onboard with the idea of making a full scale mockup (at least with baseplates and track) of the Greenberg display on Saturday?

Is ANYONE else planning to bring components to Josh’s house on Saturday for the purpose of planning/building the November 9th Greenberg display?

Doug
    Participant

Is anyone onboard with the idea of making a full scale mockup (at least with baseplates and track) of the Greenberg display on Saturday?

Is ANYONE else planning to bring components to Josh’s house on Saturday for the purpose of planning/building the November 9th Greenberg display?

Yes, I’m onboard. I will bring my houses (even though they’re incomplete) and whatever else I can scare up (cars, trucks, trees, etc). I’m hoping to snag some black slopes from the LUG brick to finish one of the houses.

Also, if anyone has some of these, I would like to buy them or trade for them.
    http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=439&colorID=11

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 198 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar